ssd not showing during windows install

Black Douglas

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help.

i have a small itx ps asrock mobo was working great until i got a blue screen.

nothing i did brought it back to life so a fresh instal was only option.

my 1st obstical after creating bootable usb using windows creation tool was it wouldnt let me instal on ssd because an os was installed.

took me ages to get ssd formatted to a fresh state but i got there.

my issue now is the ssd wont show when i get to the instal find drive part of win 10.

i can get the ssd to show by hooking it to pc threw an external caddy.of course win 10 wont let me instal because its attached via usb but it does see it. 

This has allowed me using the repair computer via cmd prompt

to follow this process

diskpart
list disk
select disk x (x = being the disk number of your SSD)
clean

create partition primary
active
format fs=ntfs quick
assign
exit

i also reset bios using jumper n pull battery method

took some pics which hopefully gives you some info that can bring about a solution.

Anything else needed please ask

thanks folks

Since you got bluescreens before and your SSD does get detected on another machine my guess would be that you have a broken motherboard.

Quote or tag me( @SEAL62 ) if you want me to see your reply

consider a reaction if I was funny, informative, helpful, or agreeable

CPU: Intel i9-9900K GPU: Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Master Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
AIO: Corsair H150i RGB Platinum RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3000MHz Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB PSU: Corsair RM750x White

HP Envy x360 Convertible

CPU: Intel i5-10210U GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX250 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2666 SSD: 512GB PCIe

4 minutes ago, Benji said:

Yeah, it simply doesn't detect any SATA drive, and it's obviously impossible to install the OS on a drive that doesn't get detected.

what would cause this checked all cables are seated correctly and not caused any damage also tried sata cable in other available ports 

is ntfs the correct file structure?

2 minutes ago, SEAL62 said:

Since you got bluescreens before and your SSD does get detected on another machine my guess would be that you have a broken motherboard.

bugger as severe as that?

currently going threw a personal crisis marriage break up homeless etc last thing i need is to waste money.

any way to know for sure its mobo

1 minute ago, Black Douglas said:

bugger as severe as that?

currently going threw a personal crisis marriage break up homeless etc last thing i need is to waste money.

any way to know for sure its mobo

Just use a different SSD HDD of which you know that ir works, connect it to the same mobo and try to install on that. If it doesn't get recognized by the mobo either then there is a 99% + chance that it is the mobo that has a defect.

CPU: Intel i9-9900K GPU: Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Master Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
AIO: Corsair H150i RGB Platinum RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3000MHz Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB PSU: Corsair RM750x White

HP Envy x360 Convertible

CPU: Intel i5-10210U GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX250 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2666 SSD: 512GB PCIe

6 minutes ago, Benji said:

Running the Windows installation off an external HDD with a small partition for the Windows boot medium is a really bad idea as it can actually lead only the bootable medium to show up and install itself on the other partition(s) of the boot medium. Try a regular small USB drive but not such stuff. I've also encountered this issue already.

not sure what that means but only hooked it up to external caddy to see if ssd would show and it did.

when tryin instal i have ssd connected to sata

yes, now just take a different SSD or HDD than then one you already failed to install on and do exactly the same. If you are unable to install your OS on that different drive as well, then it is most likely your motherboard that is casuing this issue.

HP Envy x360 Convertible

4 minutes ago, SEAL62 said:

Just use a different SSD HDD of which you know that ir works, connect it to the same mobo and try to install on that. If it doesn't get recognized by the mobo either then there is a 99% + chance that it is the mobo that has a defect.

dont have another ssd but i have this laptop.

if i took this hard drive from laptop knowing its workin would that work? or would it not boot due to drivers

or if i put the ssd im trying to instal on into laptop use bootable ssd to instal win 10 not connect to internet so it doesnt download laptop drivers.

then transfereed ssd back to pc would that work in theory?

Just now, Black Douglas said:

dont have another ssd but i have this laptop.

if i took this hard drive from laptop knowing its workin would that work? or would it not boot due to drivers

or if i put the ssd im trying to instal on into laptop use bootable ssd to instal win 10 not connect to internet so it doesnt download laptop drivers.

then transfereed ssd back to pc would that work in theory?

Should both work technically. You might not have the correct display driver and such and therefore an off looking picture but it should still boot instead of not listing the device at all.

HP Envy x360 Convertible

4 minutes ago, SEAL62 said:

Should both work technically. You might not have the correct display driver and such and therefore an off looking picture but it should still boot instead of not listing the device at all.

ok that will be my next step after work

in regards to mobo im guessin you mean hardware chuck it in bin broke not software you can save money broke

leaving for work soon will check back later

thanks guys

I had a similar issue with my SAMSUNG 860 EVO,

The problem was that the installer doesn't have a proper driver for the drive.

I solved it by booting into a Windows PE live CD (which recognized my SSD with no problems),and then launching the executable of the Windows Installer,

The Windows Installer will display the drives that Windows PE detected instead of using it's own driver.

Then i installed it just like any normal drive.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Try to disable the security mode, enable legacy mode, and OS should be in MBR mode nor UEFI mode sometime these SSDs will not detect with the BIOS. Connect SSD directly to SATA port on the motherboard and make a good pendrive with rufusu software in MBR mode the start installing the OS.