Gaming PC's for youth community center, build ourselves or buy pre-build?

anguskane

Budget (including currency): Norwegian kroner

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming, AAA-games and 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi everyone

This got longwinded so heres a short version:

The GPU market being what it is. Should we consider buying pre-builds, or should we wait and hope more chips are coming to market soon?

Long version:

The community program I work for has been granted money to buy PC-equipment for gaming and editing. We want to give teens access to top notch equipment so that no matter what their background is they still have access to some amazing gear. We have a panel of teens that consults us and are in on the whole process.

We have built one tower already. Got the parts for it right after Christmas and had an open PC-workshop. Cool to see 14year olds all in awe while they nervously, but carefully insert an i9 to a motherboard. The workshop was a success. All its missing is a graphics card.

The plan is to build 2 more. we have budgeted for 3 3070s, but cant get any. We were looking on maybe getting a 20-series card, but they are also out of stock. So now we are starting to consider buying pre-builds just so we can get our gaming room going before summer. Needless to say, the kids are eager to get their gaming on.

I want to wait. Its more fun and educational to build it ourselves. but I do understand their frustration. 

What should we do?

For projects like this, pre-builts aren't the worst to go with because all warranty is handled under the same system manufacturer. It could save a lot of hassle should something fail.

46 minutes ago, Pommes_Peter said:

For projects like this, pre-builts aren't the worst to go with because all warranty is handled under the same system manufacturer. It could save a lot of hassle should something fail.

That is a great point and possibly the best reason to go that route. Thank you.

14 minutes ago, Pommes_Peter said:

I agree. Buy some prebuilt HP Omen or something like that, it'll be fine. And might will not be more expensive 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price.