Crazy VRAM temps on TUF 3080?

Apollo190

I just updated the hwinfo and I noticed there's now a vram temp reading. Is it normal/safe for gddr6x to reach 100+°C ?

My settings in msi afterburner are +100MHz on core clock and +1000MHz on memory clock. When I'm playing games I set the power limit to 110% which results in ~350W in Cyberpunk 2077 for example. After about 10-15 minutes in cyberpunk, gpu core hits ~65°C while VRAM peaks at 88°C. When I run folding@home, vram hits 94°C. But that's not even the worst. Every now and then I like to leave my pc on overnight to mine ethereum while I sleep to make some extra money on the side, since I already have a good gpu, figured why not. I set the power limit to 65% (which results in 220W) and leave other settings the same (core and memory clocks). That gives me the average hashrate of 97MH/s. But the vram temps peak at 104°C! I've been doing it since January (not 24/7, but every now and then) and haven't noticed any issues/damage so far. Are these temps safe or should I do something about it?

Check for the max. temp for VRAM from the manufacturer. If I remember correctly it is 95°C Max for the 3080, so in that case, yes your temps would be too high. Maybe go a little softer on the OC. On the other hand those are just the spikes, so if it reaches 104 for a sec and gets slower after that to cool down, then you shouldn't experience any problems.

Quote or tag me( @SEAL62 ) if you want me to see your reply

consider a reaction if I was funny, informative, helpful, or agreeable

CPU: Intel i9-9900K GPU: Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Master Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
AIO: Corsair H150i RGB Platinum RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3000MHz Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB PSU: Corsair RM750x White

HP Envy x360 Convertible

CPU: Intel i5-10210U GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX250 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2666 SSD: 512GB PCIe

This issue has been seen before. There isnt really much to do about it other than trying to limit performance as much as possible.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 1 month later...

Revisiting this post after the latest video Here. My TUF 3080 is experiencing the same overheating VRAM issue. 
So. After a disassemble, There ARE VRAM chips on the back of this card. Linus puts it elegantly, Most users wont need it. But considering you mine without monitoring it, there are active backplates from EK for this card, but they are out of stock on the official website at this time. 
Although I don't mine, I put my computer through a lot tbh so reaching these temps aren't exactly an infrequent thing so I'll be doing this when I can. But I cant find any of them in my country so I'll have to import one asap.