What KDE should I use if I should even use linux

Context I Will be having a guest rig / secondary rig and I'm planning on running kubuntu since I want KDE plasma it has lots of customization but I hear manjaro also has KDE which one should I use, Is there any difference, will it impact steam proton / gaming 

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

im on manjaro kde right now and im pretty satisfied its a great os

as for kubuntu  idk

i personally prefer arch based distros but if you like debian based go for that

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Just now, mahyar said:

im on manjaro kde right now and im pretty satisfied its a great os

as for kubuntu  idk

i personally prefer arch based distros but if you like debian based go for that

I'm mostly new to this stuff only used Ubuntu, all I really need is lots of customization and some games to run on steam proton

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Just now, Kanna said:

I'm mostly new to this stuff only used Ubuntu, all I really need is lots of customization and some games to run on steam proton

so kubuntu is for you

as much as i love arch its a bit harder to work with especially for a newbie  

KDE is a Desktop Environment. like Gnome or XFCE. It will be almost identical regardless of which distro its using as a base.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, mahyar said:

so kubuntu is for you

as much as i love arch its a bit harder to work with especially for a newbie  

Yeah arch is a bit more complicated I have heard

Reminder⚠️

Just now, Master Disaster said:

KDE is a Desktop Environment. like Gnome or XFCE. It will be almost identical regardless of which distro its using as a base.

So I can use any distro running KDE in reality and have no difference? Also what is best with customization KDE or XFCE

Reminder⚠️

i'm using Kubuntu with plasma on my work laptop and it's been great. so far my only other linux experience has been terminal based server stuff so this is definitely a usability upgrade!

Just now, Kanna said:

Yeah arch is a bit more complicated I have heard

It really isn't. Its A LOT more complicated if you start out with base Arch however Manjaro removes all of the work and its no more difficult to use Arch once its setup properly than Debian (or any other distro)

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Kanna said:

So I can use any distro running KDE in reality and have no difference? Also what is best with customization KDE or XFCE

in terms of desktop environment there will be little to no difference

BUT the base distos will be different 

Just now, Master Disaster said:

It really isn't. Its A LOT more complicated if you start out with base Arch however Manjaro removes all of the work and its no more difficult to use Arch once its setup properly than Debian (or any other distro)

well i lost my sanity doing so

1 minute ago, mahyar said:

in terms of desktop environment there will be little to no difference

BUT the base distos will be different 

What type of difference?

Reminder⚠️

2 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Pretty much yes, obviously the preinstalled applications will differ between distros and there might be some minor differences that are distro specific but for the most part KDE is KDE no matter what distro.

Just now, Kanna said:

What type of difference?

depends on which two distros we're talking about

51 minutes ago, mahyar said:

depends on which two distros we're talking about

Well lets say Manjaro VS Kubuntu there won't be any big difference right except the programs and like name

Reminder⚠️

Just now, Kanna said:

Well lets say Manjaro VS Kubuntu there won't be any big difference right except the programs and like name

package managers will be totally different its the most important thing you should worry about 

manjaro has like 3 package managers

10 minutes ago, Kanna said:

There will be distro based differences, things might be named differently (like APT Vs Pacman) and KDE has its own set of default system applications but assuming you just want to use the desktop environment and not do too much in terminal you should only notice very minor differences.

8 minutes ago, mahyar said:

package managers will be totally different its the most important thing you should worry about 

manjaro has like 3 package managers

2 you need to worry about. Pacman is the default however I'd STRONLY recommend you install Pamac for AUR support and ignore KDEs default GUI package manager entirely. Pamac works better for dependency resolution and contains more useful packages since AUR is community maintained.

Also I cannot recommend this resource strongly enough when starting with Arch - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Main_page

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

2 you need to worry about. Pacman is the default however I'd STRONLY recommend you install Pamac for AUR support and ignore KDEs default GUI package manager entirely. Pamac works better for dependency resolution and contains more useful packages since AUR is community maintained.

i suggest to use all of them sometimes one works better than the other 

pacman and AUR are essential ones 

Just now, mahyar said:

i suggest to use all of them sometimes one works better than the other 

pacman and AUR are essential ones 

Pamac replaces Pacman entirely, it has its own GUI app and terminal support plus it supports Arch's default repos so it has everything from base Arch and AUR in one place. Once Pamac is installed just use it for everything, that way you avoid confusion.

29 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

There will be distro based differences, things might be named differently (like APT Vs Pacman) and KDE has its own set of default system applications but assuming you just want to use the desktop environment and not do too much in terminal you should only notice very minor differences.

Also I cannot recommend this resource strongly enough when starting with Arch - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Main_page

Looks like I will be going with Kubuntu since I have actually tried that a littlw

Reminder⚠️

I am going to Recommend KDE Neon. It's a Distro from the KDE Team built on Ubuntu LTS.

The KDE Plasma Desktop is updated directly by the KDE Team in a rolling release style, while utilizing a mostly vanilla Ubuntu Base.

If you plan to game, I would ,grab a fsync patched kernel such as https://liquorix.net/ and follow the instructions on https://www.gloriouseggroll.tv/how-to-get-out-of-wine-dependency-hell/, after you have installed steam, to satisfy Protons and Lutris optional Dependencies.

19 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

I am going to Recommend KDE Neon. It's a Distro from the KDE Team built on Ubuntu LTS.

The KDE Plasma Desktop is updated directly by the KDE Team in a rolling release style, while utilizing a mostly vanilla Ubuntu Base.

If you plan to game, I would ,grab a fsync patched kernel such as https://liquorix.net/ and follow the instructions on https://www.gloriouseggroll.tv/how-to-get-out-of-wine-dependency-hell/, after you have installed steam, to satisfy Protons and Lutris optional Dependencies.

Where can I get KDE Neon?

Reminder⚠️

KDE Neon is great and all, but QT updates can cause issues. I'd just stick with Kubuntu if your new to linux. 

If you want to learn Linux, Arch really isn;t as hard as people claim it is. Just read the wiki on archlinux's website on all the tools your looking at installing and your good to go. Manjaro is more or less preconfigured Arch and claims to be "more stable and better tested" when they've had QA issues in the past. Sure it works, but I personally dont like the Manjaro team. 

But the advantage of an Arch system is that you'll have a much better gaming experience on an AMD GPU since you already have a more modern kernel out of the box. Not the the 5.4 kernel with ubuntu is bad, but it can be a pain point when it comes to playing some titles in proton. It's the sad truth of the LTS release model. 

I'd honestly go with Kubuntu 20.10 and upgrade to 21.04 which will release next month since the ubuntu base will offer you the best community support. Personally though I myself run Fedora 33, but I'm not exactly a gamer.