Sata SSD boot drive disappears when installing M.2 NVME SSD

Dylanfg123

Whenever I install my new samsung 970 evo nvme drive into my AORUS PRO z390 motherboard my sata ssd boot drive does not show anymore in BIOS and I cannot boot to windows. I know from manual that when that when the nvme drive is installed in the M2M connector it disables sata port 4 and 5 but I have nothing plugged into them. I have my boot drive plugged into 3 and my HDD plugged into 2 (it still shows in bios). I don't know what could be causing the issue. As soon as I remove the nvme drive my pc boots normally.

Nevermind didn't read properly.

What does your boot priority show when the nVME is installed?

9 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

Nevermind didn't read properly.

What does your boot priority show when the nVME is installed?

When the nVME is installed it shows the nvme drive and the storage HDD connected to SATA0 2 in the boot priority 

Just now, Dylanfg123 said:

When the nVME is installed it shows the nvme drive and the storage HDD connected to SATA0 2 in the boot priority 

Which slot is the bootable sata ssd installed in?

Just trying to get a mental picture of your setup. 🙂

3 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

Which slot is the bootable sata ssd installed in?

Just trying to get a mental picture of your setup. 🙂

Bootable Sata ssd - SATA 3

HDD - SATA 2

And according to my mobo manual, only SATA 4 & 5 should be disabled when nvme is installed in the M.2 connector. So im very confused as to why it doesn't show my sata boot drive when the nvme drive is installed and when it works as soon as i remove it.

You need to swap you're M.2 Configuration in the bios from SATA to PCI-E/NVMe. If this isn't a option, check you're motherboard manufacturer to see if you support NVMe. It may require a bios update as well.

The geek himself.

7 minutes ago, President Dawson Wehage said:

You need to swap you're M.2 Configuration in the bios from SATA to PCI-E/NVMe. If this isn't a option, check you're motherboard manufacturer to see if you support NVMe. It may require a bios update as well.

The product page for my mobo says it supports nvme. I updated my bios several hours ago to the most recent version and no luck. There is no option to change from SATA to PCI-E/NVMe in the bios but the nvme drive is recognized when i install it and it seems to be displaying the correct info (NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4). Both my ssd and nvme drive are listed under the supported m.2 devices supported list and ssd devices supported list.

13 minutes ago, Dylanfg123 said:

The product page for my mobo says it supports nvme. I updated my bios several hours ago to the most recent version and no luck. There is no option to change from SATA to PCI-E/NVMe in the bios but the nvme drive is recognized when i install it and it seems to be displaying the correct info (NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4). Both my ssd and nvme drive are listed under the supported m.2 devices supported list and ssd devices supported list.

Odd you're sata ports shouldn't be disabled then. I recommend changing sata ports.

The geek himself.

4 minutes ago, President Dawson Wehage said:

Odd you're sata ports shouldn't be disabled then. I recommend changing sata ports.

I know its driving me insane! I've tried connecting to boot drive to SATA 0, 1, and 3 all with no luck. Its odd because my Sata HDD drive still shows up when the nvme is connected. At this point im just starting to think something somewhere is broken. Like for some reason when the nvme is connected it just disregards my sata ssd for whatever reason.