What IDE to use as a beginner ?

Justaphysicsnerd

I am beginner in C++ and wanted to install an IDE, I thought the obvious answer for Visual Studio but then I read that it is way too complicated for beginners and one should use VSCode, but isn't that just a text editor, I would need other stuff too right like for compiling stuff right ?

22 minutes ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

one should use VSCode, but isn't that just a text editor, I would need other stuff too right like for compiling stuff right ?

Well technically yes, but thanks to plugins it is a pretty damn smart editor, and can run programs as long as dependencies are installed like you say...

You *will* need a c++ compiler [e.g. Clang or MinGW (I recommend Chocolatey MinGW)].

These days I really only use (proper) Visual Studio for .NET development.

-> Moved to Programming

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

I am beginner in C++ and wanted to install an IDE, I thought the obvious answer for Visual Studio but then I read that it is way too complicated for beginners and one should use VSCode, but isn't that just a text editor, I would need other stuff too right like for compiling stuff right ?

VSCode is great with the right plugins however if you want to become familiar with full Visual Studio MS do offer a free version called Visual Studio Community Edition.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

i use codeblocks still cause its free and works just fine

23 hours ago, Cela1 said:

Well technically yes, but thanks to plugins it is a pretty damn smart editor, and can run programs as long as dependencies are installed like you say...

You *will* need a c++ compiler [e.g. Clang or MinGW (I recommend Chocolatey MinGW)].

These days I really only use (proper) Visual Studio for .NET development.

So in theory I would just need to install VSCode and a compiler like Clang or MinGW right? So I have installed VSCode now how do I get a compiler ? and also I read online that I should install the extension for C/C++ on  VSCode

9 hours ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

So in theory I would just need to install VSCode and a compiler like Clang or MinGW right? So I have installed VSCode now how do I get a compiler ? and also I read online that I should install the extension for C/C++ on  VSCode

yes that's it. But Visual Studio isn't complicated. I made my brother install so he can program some more advanced automation for his work habits and he knows nothing about programming. As long as you know how a file explorer works and that to create something you click File\New\Project or File\New\File and you press F5 to run. Also a plus is Visual Studio is much more user-friendly to use. You want C++ ? check the box when you install it you don't have to install separately a compiler and mess around with setting. By default it just works ZERO fiddling around.