I want to participate in the verified gamer thing to get a graphics card at MSRP...then sell it

smmmokin
But I'm not going to. I admit I seriously thought about it and I know others are too. I feel this is an important topic to bring up.

It's a fact people will participate and try to get one to resell but anyone like me who has that thought needs to stay away from it. I was so lucky and got a brand new EVGA RTX 2060 super just before the holidays for $550(Canadian) Considering costs now I'm feeling pretty good about myself. Times are tough and I need the cash so a chance to make money is just that. It would help. Reality is all you're doing is making sure people who need a card but don't have a lot of cash right now will never get one any time soon. It sucks to buy from a scalper. Those that need a card will be forced to pay crazy prices for a lesser card or they will have to wait months without a card.

People like myself(You. I know you're out there) who want to resell need to not do it. Especially in this case with Linus stepping up to actually do something that will help solve this problem. It's gotta suck to have a dead GPU right now. Lets be kind to those people.

It's really important this time that the community step up and make sure those that need help, get the help. Especially since it's Linus stepping up to help people. I doubt all the hassle of doing this and getting it together is financially worth it for him.

there is nothing you can do to prevent resellers. but it will be statistically less likely for people who are going to get this to resell it. 

30 minutes ago, smmmokin said:
Especially in this case with Linus stepping up to actually do something that will help solve this problem.

Qué?  What's Linus doing about the GPU situation?  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

4 minutes ago, Rybo said:

What... exactly can he do, what should he do? 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

3 minutes ago, Rybo said:

What's Linus doing about the GPU situation?  

Watch the most recent WAN show. LMG bought a bunch of cards in bulk and they're going to be selling them for MSRP to "verified actual gamers."

1 minute ago, Rybo said:

They will be selling a limited number of graphics cards on lttstore.com at the cards MSRP. "Verified Actual Gamers" will be able to buy them, you have to watch upcoming LTT videos to find out how to have the chance to buy it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Nice idea, but i don't think this plan is big enough to actually change the big picture

Please invest in an efficient PSU with >90%.  My favourite is Seasonic, but quality>brand

1 minute ago, Runedog said:

Watch the most recent WAN show. LMG bought a bunch of cards in bulk and they're going to be selling them for MSRP to "verified actual gamers."

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

They will be selling a limited number of graphics cards on lttstore.com at the cards MSRP. "Verified Actual Gamers" will be able to buy them, you have to watch upcoming LTT videos to find out how to have the chance to buy it.

Ah, so now I have to reprogram my bots to work on LTTstore.com now?  *sigh*

Spoiler

This is a JOKE.  I am joking.  I probably won't even attempt to buy any of the stock unless he's got a 3090 for sale since I've already got a 2080 TI I'm happy with.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

I'm considering going for one, depending on the shipping situation. I could do with the upgrade for work (and for verified actual gaming). 

Maybe they can etch messages into the shrouds, so anyone who buys a scalped one sourced through the verified actual gamers scheme can publicly shame the seller 😅.

Resellers are scum bags but it’s become normal now.

I’m rather intrigued by the bit (in the WAN show) about the middleman selling some of the inventory that was supposed to go to LMG. Is it possible this could be expanded upon a bit further?

I don’t tag often, but my curiosity is honestly quite peaked. 

@LinusTech

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

wait how do u know it is on lttstore.com

do you also have any more information like how can they know if youre a verfied actual gamer the only thing they can do is require a steam link but there are also people that play on other launchers, also do u think its gonna be a who click faster gets it cuz it means i am not gonna get it and i hope they release the video on weekend cuz i have school xD.

12 minutes ago, Padblaze said:

wait how do u know it is on lttstore.com

do you also have any more information like how can they know if youre a verfied actual gamer the only thing they can do is require a steam link but there are also people that play on other launchers, also do u think its gonna be a who click faster gets it cuz it means i am not gonna get it and i hope they release the video on weekend cuz i have school xD.

I don't know if it's on lttstore.com, but I assume it will be. It's not trivial setting up a storefront and payment processing for a website. If they already have the system in place for lttstore.com then I imagine they would use it. I could be wrong though.

I have absolutely no more information than what was said on the WAN show. 

Stay subscribed, watch the videos, and good luck.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I don't know if it's on lttstore.com, but I assume it will be. It's not trivial setting up a storefront and payment processing for a website. If they already have the system in place for lttstore.com then I imagine they would use it. I could be wrong though.

alright thanks man 🙂

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

wait i have a second question xD what did u understand from the wan show i watched it but im bad at understanding english xD. idk if they are gonna set a releaste date for it or it will go as soon as their videos goes live.

6 minutes ago, Padblaze said:

wait i have a second question xD what did u understand from the wan show i watched it but im bad at understanding english xD. idk if they are gonna set a releaste date for it or it will go as soon as their videos goes live.

Don't know. You'll need to watch the video to find out.

1 hour ago, jtgolden1s said:

Resellers are scum bags but it’s become normal now.

Cry about it, you'd be stupid to sell a card at MSRP when people are happily paying double that.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I feel like LMG bulk buying cards, denying regular buyers (gamers) the opportunity to purchase them at retail and then creating preferential treatment for their fan base is just as obnoxious as the resellers themselves.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

6 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Cry about it, you'd be stupid to sell a card at MSRP when people are happily paying double that.

Eh, not so sure about the happily part. 

But you're right. If I manage to get a 6700 XT I'm for sure selling my 5700 XT at market price, would be silly to sell it for less. Though I'll list it for auction on eBay starting at £0.99 and it sells for what it sells for. 

1 hour ago, Vitamanic said:

I feel like LMG bulk buying cards, denying regular buyers (gamers) the opportunity to purchase them at retail and then creating preferential treatment for their fan base is just as obnoxious as the resellers themselves.

so are LTT fans not "gamers"

LMG obviously going to benefit from the exposure but as long as he sells at MSRP there is no harm 

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

On 3/7/2021 at 5:30 PM, Zodiark1593 said:

I’m rather intrigued by the bit (in the WAN show) about the middleman selling some of the inventory that was supposed to go to LMG. Is it possible this could be expanded upon a bit further?

I don’t tag often, but my curiosity is honestly quite peaked. 

@LinusTech

From working in supply management and logistics in the past, chances are LTT was going to buy the cards from the middleman for a negotiated cost of $x.  However, another company possibly knew there was stock incoming and offered $y to have it sold to them instead.  Because these sort of transactions are generally done on PO account or COD, LTT likely hadn't paid for the product yet, so while it was technically allotted to them, it was likely never owned by them either.  Another possibility is that they were simply sold off without any malicious intent.  Ever had something reserved at a store, but when you go in to buy it they realize they sold it to someone else instead by accident?  Unfortunately that crap happens more often than you'd think,

Server - 10850K   |   Daily - 12700k  |  Gaming - Steam Deck

I have a feeling it's not going to be as easy as one would think, and they don't have that many cards so there's going to be a ton of disappointed people bitching on the forums for weeks. Some will undoubtedly be sold on, there's nothing LTT can do about this, but it's a nice gesture to the few extra people that are able to buy them at MSRP without bots picking them up.

He might have done himself a bit of a favor marketing it as an anti-bot move, rather than trying to sell it to people that will "actually use it." He falls into the same camp as many, thinking GPUs are just for gamers, when they're really not.

Personally, if I managed to secure one (I'm not, I have no interest in paying even MSRP for a card), and I ended up wanting to sell it, then I'd have absolutely no remorse about it. My money, my item, my decision.

On 3/7/2021 at 5:08 PM, anonymousElefant said:

Nice idea, but i don't think this plan is big enough to actually change the big picture

Not really the idea.

On 3/8/2021 at 1:45 AM, Vitamanic said:

Kind of an odd way to put it. You're implying that LTT fans aren't regular buyers; they are. This is just a different line to obtain a card.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

you cant stop someone selling it after they have bought it unless you hire a lawyer to draw up some sort of lease contract, then reserve money to enforce the conditions of the lease. Prob not worth the trouble. If I had the resources I would be mining crypto with these cards for one month, then sell the cards.

43 minutes ago, dizmo said:

going to be a ton of disappointed people bitching on the forums for weeks

"person x isn't an actual gamer, they didn't deserve to win!!!!!!"

"it's unfairr because x"

"why was it done in <not my timezone>, that's unfair"

and the inevitable

"will they be doing another one?????"

i do not look forward to it.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

10 minutes ago, Arika S said:

"person x isn't an actual gamer, they didn't deserve to win!!!!!!"

"it's unfairr because x"

"why was it done in <not my timezone>, that's unfair"

and the inevitable

"will they be doing another one?????"

i do not look forward to it.

well they said they will also doing it with products that msi and amd have so I guess they are going to do it another time.