Issues with monitor or gpu.

jondoe1986

Hello all.  I hope someone can help me. I just built a new pc and I’m having the weirdest issue. I bought a new monitor to go with it and no matter what I do the new system won’t detect it. It’s a 144hz gigabyte 1440p gaming monitor. Did everything so I plug in my old 1080p asus monitor and it works fine. So I’m thinking I have a dead monitor or something but I plug it into my work computer that my job supplies and it detects the gigabyte one instantly tried it with display port and hdmi and absolutely nothing. Plugged my old monitor and two of my work monitors into the new rig and it all works fine display port or hdmi. I googled around and found nothing.

3 minutes ago, jondoe1986 said:

Hello all.  I hope someone can help me. I just built a new pc and I’m having the weirdest issue. I bought a new monitor to go with it and no matter what I do the new system won’t detect it. It’s a 144hz gigabyte 1440p gaming monitor. Did everything so I plug in my old 1080p asus monitor and it works fine. So I’m thinking I have a dead monitor or something but I plug it into my work computer that my job supplies and it detects the gigabyte one instantly tried it with display port and hdmi and absolutely nothing. Plugged my old monitor and two of my work monitors into the new rig and it all works fine display port or hdmi. I googled around and found nothing.

what are your pc specs?

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

Ryzen 5600x

32gigs Corsair ram

asus rig strix b550 gaming 

corsair 750 watt psu

samsung 980 pro

Evga gtx 1060(reused from old pc can’t find a new gpu for a reasonable price)

Just now, jondoe1986 said:

Ryzen 5600x

32gigs Corsair ram

asus rig strix b550 gaming 

corsair 750 watt psu

samsung 980 pro

Evga gtx 1060(reused from old pc can’t find a new gpu for a reasonable price)

could it be the cable that you are using between the GPU and HDMI/DP?

And this is the current layout?

Personal computer + new monitor = no

Personal computer + old monitor = yes

Work computer + new monitor = yes

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

11 minutes ago, jondoe1986 said:

Is it set to hdmi or whatever your connecting by. In the monitor settings it could be on for example you plugged a hdmi cable in and the monitor is stuck on dvi just change the input too hdmi or have you tried that?

16 minutes ago, MarvintheParrot said:

could it be the cable that you are using between the GPU and HDMI/DP?

And this is the current layout?

Personal computer + new monitor = no

Personal computer + old monitor = yes

Work computer + new monitor = yes

Yes new rig new monitor bad

new Rig plus old monitor hdmi good

new rig plus work monitor DP good

work computer and new monitor Dp good

used same display port/hdmi cables

only thing I can think is for some reason the gtx 1060 is not liking 1440p?

10 minutes ago, xFireLegendx138 said:

Is it set to hdmi or whatever your connecting by. In the monitor settings it could be on for example you plugged a hdmi cable in and the monitor is stuck on dvi just change the input too hdmi or have you tried that?

New monitor is set to display port and wouldn’t let me access menu to change it around but when I plugged it into my work computer and it detected it it would and I could change it 

Also when I boot with only the new monitor attached I get a white VGA light on motherboard and it doesn’t boot. It goes past this with any other monitor I have hooked up 

Also if this is helpful I hooked my 4K tv up to the new rig works perfect too.

17 minutes ago, jondoe1986 said:

Also if this is helpful I hooked my 4K tv up to the new rig works perfect too.

I know it sounds silly, but try pushing the cables in farther, that may help.

17 minutes ago, MarvintheParrot said:

I know it sounds silly, but try pushing the cables in farther, that may help.

Yeah idk I’m at a complete loss. I’ve done it so many times I don’t think that would be the issue

1 minute ago, jondoe1986 said:

Yeah idk I’m at a complete loss. I’ve done it so many times I don’t think that would be the issue

RMA the monitor and get a new one...

That's kinda your best option

Just say "It does not work with my new computer"

Yeah I think that’s what I’m going to end up doing. I ordered it from Newegg though and their return situation isn’t the best. Ugh

3 hours ago, MarvintheParrot said:

RMA the monitor and get a new one...

That's kinda your best option

Just say "It does not work with my new computer"

I got it to come on finally by unplugging and plugging in the monitor to my new pc while booting and resetting. The VGA light on my board is still on though. I shut down and it came on again but again the VGA light was on so makes me think there is still an issue as this light goes out with any other monitor it goes away

Ok so I know I get annoyed when I run into post with no update from the author. I needed a firmware update for display port 1.3 from nvidia. Works perfectly now no white vga warning on board either!