Gaming (Intensive) Causes Black Screen and Max Fans

Go to solution Solved by tfcmad,

I've changed my motherboard over to a Asus tuf x570. I set the memory timings to 3600mhz using Asus's DOCP and I still have the same problem occuring.

So at this poinr I've changed all parts except the CPU. Anyone think it could be a CPU problem? Ive never heard of a CPU having random crashses like this.

I've been running stress tests with Prime95 for hours at a time and I cant force the problem to occur,

Any other ideas? Could I have gotten 2 bad different GPUs in a row, is my PC haunted?

Hello, I was hoping you guys might be able to give me some advice. Usually I can sort out these issues but this one has been here since I put together my new build and I'm stuck.

Issue

In a random amount of time (5 miuntes to X hours) while playing graphically intensive games the system will black screen, and the fans will ramp up to 100%. The system seems to still be responding for a little while before restarting.

The issue happens when I play games for example: The Witcher 3, Mount and Blade 2, Valheim, Rise of the Tomb Raider

Games this did not happen on: For the king, Little Nightmares 2

I've done some stress tests on the system using 3DMark and the issue didnt happen, or I was just lucky.

The Window Event Viewer just says something generic such as the driver has crashed. The same thing happened for both GPUs ive been using (I'll try and get a clean log file)

PC Specs

Motherboard: MSI X570-A PRO

Storage: 500GB Samsung 970 Evo

Power Supply: Corsair RM850
Graphics Card: 8GB MSI GTX 2070 Super
RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x
CPU Cooler: Fractal Celsius s36

Parts Changed (In Order)

Power Supply: GIGABYTE B700H ATX

Graphics Card: XFX RX 5700 8GB

RAM: 16GB Corsair LPX Vengence

Storage: 250GB Samsung 860 Evo

Software Versions

BIOS: H.C1

Nvidia Driver: 461.72

MSI Dragon Center: 2.0.101.0

Windows: 19042.804 Pro 64 Bit

Other Things Tried

Changed Graphics Card PCIE slot

Changed Monitor and HDMI to Display Port

DRAM Voltage increase from 1.35V to 1.4V RAM frequency lowered to 3200Mhz, RAM Timings Lowered via MSI's "test it"

Temperatures Under Load: GPU 68c CPU73c

Final Thoughts

Theres only a couple of bits left for me to change over, but this has been a annoying issue to pin down

Other ideas or other things to try are welcome,

Thanks,

Luke

Hello 8-Bit Ninja,

Yes I've reinstalled Windows while switching SSDs

5 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

ram in slots 2 and 4?

Hello boggy77

Just trying this out, I got a warning about the memory not being optimised in these slots but lets see how it goes.

47 minutes ago, tfcmad said:

Hello boggy77

Just trying this out, I got a warning about the memory not being optimised in these slots but lets see how it goes.

It should be slots 2 and 4 counting from the cpu towards the right. How did you have them so far?

9 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

It should be slots 2 and 4 counting from the cpu towards the right. How did you have them so far?

Sorry I had them in 2 and 4 origionally. Trying out 1 and 3 now

Ram.jpg

I've tried a couple of other tests where the issue doesn't happen:

Running in slots 1 and 3 (ram is limited to 3200mhz or the system won't post, also I get a non optimised message every time I boot)

Running 1 stick in slot 2 at 3600mhz 

Am I doing something wrong? the sticks and motherboard are both rated for 3600mhz and the ram is on the compatible list on MSI website

Motherboard: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X570-A-PRO/Specification

Ram :https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/HX436C17FB3K2_16.pdf

I'm assuming I've not got dodgy ram as the last set gave me the same issue 

• 4 weeks later...

I've changed my motherboard over to a Asus tuf x570. I set the memory timings to 3600mhz using Asus's DOCP and I still have the same problem occuring.

So at this poinr I've changed all parts except the CPU. Anyone think it could be a CPU problem? Ive never heard of a CPU having random crashses like this.

I've been running stress tests with Prime95 for hours at a time and I cant force the problem to occur,

Any other ideas? Could I have gotten 2 bad different GPUs in a row, is my PC haunted?

• 2 weeks later...

I've now changed my CPU over. I've changed every component and it still happens. I must have 2 bad somethings in a row...

• 1 month later...

I did a bit more playing around with the problem, when the crash occurs I can still remote into the system, communication with the GPU is lost but the rest of the system is still ok. Its definitely a GPU or power supply problem

So I found as way to prevent the problem from happening, setting the card power limit to 80% with MSI Afterburner

Not really ideal with the GPU shortage I'll live with it