So unraid is not meant to be a backup?

Why do they say that? I have dual parity drives. I came from a synology nas that i filled up.

unRaid is so much nicer!! 

Well maybe, because every type of NAS is not a backup. The real function of RAID isn't to provide a backup, it's to ensure data is always available from an always-on server. It's about availability, not security. If you buy a NAS, you should still back it up to an EHD or cloud service.

Quote or tag me( @SEAL62 ) if you want me to see your reply

consider a reaction if I was funny, informative, helpful, or agreeable

CPU: Intel i9-9900K GPU: Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Master Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
AIO: Corsair H150i RGB Platinum RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3000MHz Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB PSU: Corsair RM750x White

HP Envy x360 Convertible

CPU: Intel i5-10210U GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX250 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2666 SSD: 512GB PCIe

I use mine as a backup i have so much data nothing else can hold it all or it would be to costly to cloud host it.

I do keep other backups of small files but all my 4K movies is another story. I guess i need two unraid servers at two different locations to be safe lol

I'm guessing they're not talking about the OS but RAID in itself.

RAID or Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks traditionally stripes (RAID0), stripes with parity bits (RAID5/6), mirrors (RAID1), or some combination (RAID10/50/60/51/61) data across multiple disks to increase performance, redundancy, or both.

UnRAID took this one step further by designing it so whole files are stored on individual disks so losing drives beyond the parity or mirror resiliency doesn't cause complete and total loss of data. Only partial loss.

The reason Unraid or RAID in general isn't a backup is because ultimately they're about maintaining up-time. In a business or other work environment the server going down can be catastrophic to profitability or productivity. By introducing resiliency to a storage solution a drive failure doesn't cost downtime. However a drive failure isn't the only thing a server can experience.

1. Memory errors
  2. Corrupt data
  3. Bit rot
  4. Lightning strikes
  5. Human error
  6. Natural disasters
  7. Hackers
  8. Catastrophic PSU failure
  9. Fire

The list goes on. So many things can happen to the server that RAID will do nothing to protect the data. Some of these issues do have systems in place to mitigate like ECC memory, CRC's, & check sums, but these aren't full proof.

10 hours ago, Tazz 316 said:

Why do they say that? I have dual parity drives. I came from a synology nas that i filled up.

If you have only one copy of the data, by nature it can't be a backup. If a second copy is in the same machine, it's not a backup, if you have two copies but one is out of date/sync, it's a useless backup. 

An ideal backup is the 3,2,1 method. For movies, that may be overkill, but a second simple nas build may be nice to have for a backup. 

4 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

if you have two copies but one is out of date/sync, it's a useless backup. 

Not necessarily. If you're working on a document, for example, and need to retrieve it from a backup, an out-of-date version is far preferable to it not being there at all.

To answer OP's question, the reason RAID isn't a backup is because the drives are physically in the same place and are storing as good as only one copy of the data. Yes, it may be a lot better at coping with drive failure, but it can't protect against physical damage (such as water leak or an explosion) or against accidental deletion of data (which is why I believe one should always have at least one form of backup which is regularly kept up to date but does not sync automatically)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Gives me a reason to build a second unriad box at a different location.

as other have mentioned a NAS itself is not a backup it merely provides one layer of security against a failing HDD:

If you however use your NAS to store a copy of your data it becomes a backup for you and you can also sync this data to other services.

On 3/7/2021 at 1:07 PM, Tazz 316 said:

Its a backup if its part of a 3 2 1 backup strategy but is not as a standalone device parity is to protect the array in event of a disk failure if the server was your only source location for archived files and your array bit the dust for any one of various reasons you would lose the only data source you have so hence no backup

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

Honestly,

Most of us with FreeNAS servers don't have a backup solution.  My "Backup" solution is that I have all of the DVD/BR discs in a storage bin.  If something were to happen that destroys the array, I would rebuild and re-rip all the discs.  Its simply not cost effective to buy into a LTO backup setup, or purchase enough cloud storage.

For my financial data that gets encrypted into a PGP file nightly and uploaded to the cloud.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

Backup is good if you've accidentally deleted or overwritten a file.

RAID is good at insuring data is available, you can still get to it in case of a drive failure.

Snapshots on RAID is a good backup. I think it is as long as you've got another offline or offsite copy. Particularly if you've got the copy including snapshots.

Pretty simple, eh?

On 3/8/2021 at 9:25 AM, pythonmegapixel said:

Not necessarily. If you're working on a document, for example, and need to retrieve it from a backup, an out-of-date version is far preferable to it not being there at all.

To answer OP's question, the reason RAID isn't a backup is because the drives are physically in the same place and are storing as good as only one copy of the data. Yes, it may be a lot better at coping with drive failure, but it can't protect against physical damage (such as water leak or an explosion) or against accidental deletion of data (which is why I believe one should always have at least one form of backup which is regularly kept up to date but does not sync automatically)

Yep, this is how I roll... I usually leapfrog my media backups, so backup #1 for example is 2 days old, and backup #2 is 2 weeks. So hopefully if there is corruption of data, the older backup might have survived in tact. I'd much rather only have to try and replace 2 weeks worth of data, than losing everything. It's not perfect of course, it could still be foobar by user error, but both my servers also have snapshots, and my other backups are External, so hopefully something should survive. All of my really important data is also backed up elsewhere and cold stored. It's the best I could do with my budget anyway. I try and improve upon it from time to time and with server upgrades and storage upgrades I think it gets better each time... either that or I'm fooling myself 🤣

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini