Vega 56 Crashing in games

Jadeskye

Hello all,

I think my Vega 56 might have had enough. In 2D applications it functions as expected but when loading into games, anytime between instantly and 30 minutes, it crashes my system to motherboard post. Full system crash.

System specs:

• 3600x
  • x470 gaming 7 wifi
  • vega 56 strix
  • Custom watercooling setup

Things i've tried:

• DDU + installing reccomended radeon drivers
  • system file check
  • chkdsk
  • windows update
  • running firestrike/timespy (finished time spy once)

How screwed am i?

Just now, Jadeskye said:

Hello all,

I think my Vega 56 might have had enough. In 2D applications it functions as expected but when loading into games, anytime between instantly and 30 minutes, it crashes my system to motherboard post. Full system crash.

System specs:

• 3600x
  • x470 gaming 7 wifi
  • vega 56 strix
  • Custom watercooling setup

Things i've tried:

• DDU + installing reccomended radeon drivers
  • system file check
  • chkdsk
  • windows update
  • running firestrike/timespy (finished time spy once)

How screwed am i?

I am guessing temps are fine but make sure to check anyways. Unstable OC? How old is your power supply? 

Just now, Applefreak said:

I am guessing temps are fine but make sure to check anyways. Unstable OC? How old is your power supply? 

No OC. It's a bad silicon lottery chip, will barely overclock at all before crashing so it's always been stock.

PSU is a 850W gold, i think about 4 years old.

4 minutes ago, Jadeskye said:

Exact model, please?

elephants

Just now, Jadeskye said:

No OC. It's a bad silicon lottery chip, will barely overclock at all before crashing so it's always been stock.

Do you have another PSU to test with? If different games crash pretty much about the same time it could be unstable power delivery, the alternative would be the card. Let's hope it's just the psu. The warmer a psu will get the more it will loose in efficiency. Your PSU should have plenty of headroom but 5 years can be the end of life for many units and everything past 3 years on non premium units is a gamble. How many games have you tried? Btw. did you also try older graphics drivers?

5 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Do you have another PSU to test with? If different games crash pretty much about the same time it could be unstable power delivery, the alternative would be the card. Let's hope it's just the psu. The warmer a psu will get the more it will loose in efficiency. Your PSU should have plenty of headroom but 5 years can be the end of life for many units and everything past 3 years on non premium units is a gamble. How many games have you tried? Btw. did you also try older graphics drivers?

I have tried older drivers.

I havn't tested with another psu yet. Thats not a bad idea. It should be fine, it's a seasonic gold unit but that would be the preferable failure.

I have also got a 1050ti to hand which i'm about to test.

59 minutes ago, Jadeskye said:

I have tried older drivers.

I havn't tested with another psu yet. Thats not a bad idea. It should be fine, it's a seasonic gold unit but that would be the preferable failure.

I have also got a 1050ti to hand which i'm about to test.

Just completed a firestrike stress test without issue on a 1050ti.

Could still be the psu as this config massively reduces the power draw but i'm thinking it's the gpu.