HDD 4-8TB suggestions ?

Tadziunia

Hey guys, ive been using SSD's for many years, didn't really bought any HDD for past 5 years for myself atleast. I have like 3TB of SSD, and it's full, because i have a lot of games but also a lot of photos, because i edit them as hobby and living. I really want some big storage, Would like to have from 4 to 8TB atleast. Any suggestions what is best all around HDD ? and is it possible to somehow boost speed of it ? like intel optane ? i have x570 + 5800x(recently upgraded from 3600). Thanks for any respond !

yes you can use low capacity ssd drives for cache for your big hdds (using StoreMI and stuff) (even there are sata ones i saw, but optane/nvme cache drives will work too), also almost any hdd will do it's job but if you feel like quality ones, well seagate ands western digital arent bad choices so far, and toshibas will work well too for the most part

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

1 hour ago, Tadziunia said:

Hey guys, ive been using SSD's for many years, didn't really bought any HDD for past 5 years for myself atleast. I have like 3TB of SSD, and it's full, because i have a lot of games but also a lot of photos, because i edit them as hobby and living. I really want some big storage, Would like to have from 4 to 8TB atleast. Any suggestions what is best all around HDD ? and is it possible to somehow boost speed of it ? like intel optane ? i have x570 + 5800x(recently upgraded from 3600). Thanks for any respond !

WD Gold HDD, no need to boost it really. Transfer speed is around 200 mb/s sequential already. There won't be much benefit with an optane ssd, which btw. would need an intel platform afaik.

2 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

WD Gold HDD, no need to boost it really. Transfer speed is around 200 mb/s sequential already. There won't be much benefit with an optane ssd, which btw. would need an intel platform afaik.

I would use StoreMI, which theoreticly does same thing

1 minute ago, Tadziunia said:

I would use StoreMI, which theoreticly does same thing

StoreMI will work, and as i suggested above until then

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

IMO any non-smr hdd, it does not really matter which one specifically.

Also if you did not use hdd-s for some time be aware - they are noisy. And you might want to choose based on how noisy specific model is.

As for caching... it exists. And it is highly ineffective for most desktop-type usage. If you want good performance the best way is just to use ssd to store data you are currently working on and use hdd as archive. Also be careful - some caching solution will cause data loss in case of cache failure.