Damage to 2.5" SATA SSD... should be okay, right?

harrisonjr98

https://imgur.com/a/rMYdS3g

Oops! I torqued the sata power cable too hard while re-doing cable management today and chipped some of the plastic from the side that functions as a key for assuring proper orientation of the cable. It still seems to seat properly in the drive. Since none of the pins themselves are damaged, this shouldn't be the end of the world, right? Guess I'm just looking some confirmation bias, but there's nothing inherently wrong with just continuing to use the drive as normal after this type of damage right?

3 minutes ago, harrisonjr98 said:

https://imgur.com/a/rMYdS3g

Oops! I torqued the sata power cable too hard while re-doing cable management today and chipped some of the plastic from the side that functions as a key for assuring proper orientation of the cable. It still seems to seat properly in the drive. Since none of the pins themselves are damaged, this shouldn't be the end of the world, right? Guess I'm just looking some confirmation bias, but there's nothing inherently wrong with just continuing to use the drive as normal after this type of damage right?

If the connection is good, don't worry about it. 

It's fine ... that part is the sata power connector, and the pins closest to that broken plastic are for 3.3v which the sata drive doesn't use anyway. a SSD only uses 5v which is in middle of the connector

image.png.b34c7baf841528b41df3cc941542f206.png

13 hours ago, mariushm said:

It's fine ... that part is the sata power connector, and the pins closest to that broken plastic are for 3.3v which the sata drive doesn't use anyway. a SSD only uses 5v which is in middle of the connector

image.png.b34c7baf841528b41df3cc941542f206.png

Thank you so much, this didn’t even occur to me! I won’t worry about it 🙂

The only thing I'd be very careful about with such damage is that you've broken off part of the key which prevents you from inserting connector wrong way. Nothing too bad, just need to make sure you are inserting it the right way instead of simply relying on keys.

On 3/7/2021 at 4:31 PM, Archer42 said:

The only thing I'd be very careful about with such damage is that you've broken off part of the key which prevents you from inserting connector wrong way. Nothing too bad, just need to make sure you are inserting it the right way instead of simply relying on keys.

This is good advice for anyone who stumbles onto this thread in the future.