Need advice for a smart but affordable upgrade, and is it really needed?

Hello, everyone.

Back in late 2014 I assembled my latest PC and while I bought pretty much the best hardware that was around back then, of course now my configuration is a bit old and it's starting to struggle with the latest games.
Here's my current configuration:

• MSI Z97 Gaming 5
  • Intel Core i7 4790K 4GHz 4 cores, 8 threads
  • 32GB Ram DDR3 G.Skill Ripjawz 2133MHz
  • SSD Crucial BX500 500GB Sata (500MBps)
  • MSI GTX 1070 8GB
  • 650Watt Power Supply
  • Display LG UL850 27" 4K HDR400
  • A cheapass but functional mechanical keyboard
  • Case Phantecks Enthoo Pro
  • Mouse Logitech G305

Wanting to upgrade to better tackle the upcoming games, I purchased an RTX 3060TI, but while i'm waiting for it to be delivered (hopefully this month) I was thinking of upgrading the rest of the computer a bit, to better use my new GPU and to futureproof my machine a little bit.
The trouble is my budget is very limited, therefore I am planning to do a smart upgrade; I'm not interested at all in super-insane performance and the latest components, so I'd like you to advise me on the least expensive configuration I can get to make my machine a bit more modern (for example moving from DDR3 to DDR4, or getting a better support for decently fast nvme drives).

Here are a few things to consider:

• This is not the big upgrade I'll do one day (perhaps in 2022/23), it is just a configuration for this year and perhaps the next
  • I'd really like to keep the budget inside the 500 EUR - 750 CAD - 560 USD mark
  • Amd or Intel is the same for me
  • The components have to be able to be found online (unlike the latest CPUs and GPUs)
  • I absolutely don't mind purchasing components from 1,2,3,4 generations ago, especially if found at great prices (for example CPUs from 3,4 years ago)
  • I have a mac for work, so my PC is exclusively used for gaming, therefore I need the bare essentials to be able to play. I don't need thunderbolt, expensive IO, 5000 slots for ram and multiple GPUs, RGB

Here's the components I need to purchase:

• Motherboard
  • CPU (at least 6 physical cores)
  • Ram (16GB)
  • Nvme SSD (500 GB)

I assembled a list of a possible configuration I could go for, feel free to give any comments on it:

• ASROCK B365M Pro 4
  • Intel Core i7 9700K 3.6 GHz 8 cores, 8 threads
  • Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX (2X 8GB 3000MHz)
  • Crucial P2 500GB 2400 MBps

With regards to stores (like amazon) I'm based in Italy (it could be some useful info)

And, in the end, do you think such an upgrade makes sense? Would it be better enough than my current system to justify its purchase?
Thank you so very much!

12 minutes ago, jippa_lippa said:

Hello, everyone.

Back in late 2014 I assembled my latest PC and while I bought pretty much the best hardware that was around back then, of course now my configuration is a bit old and it's starting to struggle with the latest games.
Here's my current configuration:

• MSI Z97 Gaming 5
  • Intel Core i7 4790K 4GHz 4 cores, 8 threads
  • 32GB Ram DDR3 G.Skill Ripjawz 2133MHz
  • SSD Crucial BX500 500GB Sata (500MBps)
  • MSI GTX 1070 8GB
  • 650Watt Power Supply
  • Display LG UL850 27" 4K HDR400
  • A cheapass but functional mechanical keyboard
  • Case Phantecks Enthoo Pro
  • Mouse Logitech G305

Wanting to upgrade to better tackle the upcoming games, I purchased an RTX 3060TI, but while i'm waiting for it to be delivered (hopefully this month) I was thinking of upgrading the rest of the computer a bit, to better use my new GPU and to futureproof my machine a little bit.
The trouble is my budget is very limited, therefore I am planning to do a smart upgrade; I'm not interested at all in super-insane performance and the latest components, so I'd like you to advise me on the least expensive configuration I can get to make my machine a bit more modern (for example moving from DDR3 to DDR4, or getting a better support for decently fast nvme drives).

Here are a few things to consider:

• This is not the big upgrade I'll do one day (perhaps in 2022/23), it is just a configuration for this year and perhaps the next
  • I'd really like to keep the budget inside the 500 EUR - 750 CAD - 560 USD mark
  • Amd or Intel is the same for me
  • The components have to be able to be found online (unlike the latest CPUs and GPUs)
  • I absolutely don't mind purchasing components from 1,2,3,4 generations ago, especially if found at great prices (for example CPUs from 3,4 years ago)
  • I have a mac for work, so my PC is exclusively used for gaming, therefore I need the bare essentials to be able to play. I don't need thunderbolt, expensive IO, 5000 slots for ram and multiple GPUs, RGB

Here's the components I need to purchase:

• Motherboard
  • CPU (at least 6 physical cores)
  • Ram (16GB)
  • Nvme SSD (500 GB)

I assembled a list of a possible configuration I could go for, feel free to give any comments on it:

• ASROCK B365M Pro 4
  • Intel Core i7 9700K 3.6 GHz 8 cores, 8 threads
  • Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX (2X 8GB 3000MHz)
  • Crucial P2 500GB 2400 MBps

And, in the end, do you think such an upgrade makes sense? Would it be better enough than my current system to justify its purchase?
Thank you so very much!

few comments, 

id go amd, proabably 3600x and b450/550 mobo

then some 3000+ mhz ram kit. suggest 4*8  if you currently use all of your 32gigs

and a high speed nvme ssd, like a samsung evo/pro series or sabrent rocket 

4 minutes ago, thDel said:

few comments, 

id go amd, proabably 3600x and b450/550 mobo

then some 3000+ mhz ram kit. suggest 4*8  if you currently use all of your 32gigs

and a high speed nvme ssd, like a samsung evo/pro series or sabrent rocket 

This config would be about 100$ more expensive than the one I proposed, not to mention the 3600x is impossible to find (currently just 1 on amazon).
Is it that much better than the 9700k?

Thank you very much 🙂

2 minutes ago, jippa_lippa said:

This config would be about 100$ more expensive than the one I proposed, not to mention the 3600x is impossible to find (currently just 1 on amazon).
Is it that much better than the 9700k?

Thank you very much 🙂

i think it was linus in the wan show who said that you should buy the gpu you can get for a fair price. this also applies to cpu. im fortunate in asutralia to have brick and mortar nearby that have stock at the inflated but normal price of tech in australia, but if th 9700k is the cpu you can buy at a fair price for what it is, go for it. 

If you're going to ask about used components you have to list your location, and people can try and search that way; component pricing on used stuff is far from universal.

As for your suggested parts list, you're trying to pair an unlocked processor on something that can't overclock. Either save the money and get a 9700, or step up the motherboard to something of the Z variety. I personally wouldn't buy an SSD under 1TB.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If you're going to ask about used components you have to list your location, and people can try and search that way; component pricing on used stuff is far from universal.

As for your suggested parts list, you're trying to pair an unlocked processor on something that can't overclock. Either save the money and get a 9700, or step up the motherboard to something of the Z variety. I personally wouldn't buy an SSD under 1TB.

Sorry, I forgot to mention my location, it is Italy (I now added this info for the post); anyway I'm not interested in buying used as there are too many risks involved...from what I could

I'm not interested in overclocking, but I can spend 20,30$ more on a motherboard if worth it, got any specific one to recommend?

With regards to the SSD 500GB is enough, as I almost never have 2 big games installed at the same time, and open world games at the moment reach around 150GB, or thereabouts.

Thanks for the answer, by the way 🙂

11 hours ago, jippa_lippa said:

Sorry, I forgot to mention my location, it is Italy (I now added this info tot he post).

I'm not interested in overclocking, but I can spend 20,30$ more on a motherboard if worth it, got any specific one to recommend?

With regards to the SSD 500GB is enough, as I almost never have 2 big games installed at the same time, and open world games at the moment reach around 150GB, or thereabouts.

Thanks for the answer, by the way 🙂

You can't overclock the 9700k on the board you chose, so it's a waste of money if you go with it; you might as well go with a locked chip if you're going on a locked board. If you check out Hardware Unboxed, they usually have pretty good comparisons of motherboards.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red