Got myself a i9-9900k and now my FPS is at an all time low

Hey guys!

I recently got a i9-9900k and after installing it i was sitting at fairly high FPS all of day one, however after a day or two my frames dropped to lower than before when i had a i5-6600k my CPU temps are nowhere near high enough when i play games like league to warrant a drop if im correct. I had about 300-400 fps but now it gets to 70-90 and just stays there. My cpu is at around 60-70 degrees or even higher ingame and stays at 60ish after ive started playing and close out of everything. Before i start playing its at 40. It did however hit 85-95 in COD. Anyone got an idea what could be wrong?

Specs:https://gyazo.com/2576b2336bc7d9f8a3ef394bd8ab7c0e

Edited by Myze
missed some info

16 minutes ago, Myze said:

Hey guys!

I recently got a i9-9900k and after installing it i was sitting at fairly high FPS all of day one, however after a day or two my frames dropped to lower than before when i had a i5-6600k my CPU temps are nowhere near high enough when i play games like league to warrant a drop if im correct. I had about 300-400 fps but now it gets to 70-90 and just stays there. My cpu is at around 60-70 degrees or even higher ingame and stays at 60ish after ive started playing and close out of everything. Before i start playing its at 40. It did however hit 85-95 in COD. Anyone got an idea what could be wrong?

Specs:https://gyazo.com/2576b2336bc7d9f8a3ef394bd8ab7c0e

keep task manager in the corner while playing and notices low fps and screenshot it

gonna need the full system specs

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

9 hours ago, Vins69 said:

I think 95 degrees is way too much and the CPU is going in a thermal throttle...

Yea that happened once and since then I’ve lowered some settings and not had such high temps. Still confused as to why I sit and extremely low FPS on basic games such as csgo and league with fairly standard temps.

9 hours ago, xg32 said:

gonna need the full system specs

The gyazo link is what I have at the moment, if there is more stuff you need to know I can get you the info after work.

The more I read, the more it seems strange to me that ONLY the change of cpu dropped the framerate from 400 to 90...

I mean, you'll not gain 4xFPS only changing the cpu from i5 to i7, so the reverse also doesn't make sense

53 minutes ago, Vins69 said:

The more I read, the more it seems strange to me that ONLY the change of cpu dropped the framerate from 400 to 90...

I mean, you'll not gain 4xFPS only changing the cpu from i5 to i7, so the reverse also doesn't make sense

Yeah I’m dumb also changed motherboard to a Prime Z370-A. Sorry about that.

58 minutes ago, Vins69 said:

did you apply the thermal compound on the cpu?

Yes I did.

@Myze Are you running MSI Dragon Center or any similar control software? There has been a problem recently with some software like this reducing the turbo power limits during some games to absurdly low values like 0 watts. This causes constant power limit throttling so your CPU runs like a slug. 

Start by running CPU-Z and make sure that it reports 8 cores and 16 threads.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

With any sort of load, a 9900K at default specs should be running at a minimum of 4700 MHz. What are your turbo power limits set to in the BIOS?

Try running ThrottleStop.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

You can open the TPL window to see what your power limits are set to.

Check Nvidia GPU in the Options window and then on the main window, check the Log File option and go play a game for at least 15 minutes. When finished testing, exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop. This will create a log file in the ThrottleStop / Logs directory. It will record CPU and GPU speed as well as all of the common reasons that Intel CPUs throttle. Attach a log file to your next post and I will tell you why your CPU is throttling. 

@unclewebb No MSI Dragon Center or anything like that I believe. CPU-Z says 8 cores 16 threads.

Here is the ThrottleStop log.

2021-03-08.txt

Just a heads-up. Speccy is trash software and not updated anymore. Its temperature readings are very inaccurate.

Run HWMonitor, Hwinfo64, Coretemp etc. to get more accurate readings.

Which cooler are you using? As the 9900K didn't come with one and can't be cooled by any stock Intel solutions.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

5 hours ago, Myze said:

ThrottleStop log

What were you doing on your computer while you were logging that data? The log shows that your CPU was almost fully loaded. You do not usually see that much load on an 8 core 16 thread CPU unless you are running a stress test. Most games do not fully load 8 core CPUs.

For a baseline, exit everything obvious like any game, stress test or web browser. With only ThrottleStop open on the desktop, what does it show for C0% on the main screen? You can double click on the graph to see all 16 threads. C0 accurately measures how busy your CPU is and how many background tasks it is busy working on. A fast 8 core CPU that is idle should only need to spend 0.1% to 0.5% of its time in the C0 state processing background tasks. If you are way above that, open the Task Manager, go to the details tab and find out what is running on your computer in the background.

kZyEBJk.png

The other thing the log file shows is almost constant PL1 power limit throttling. The 9900K has a 95W TDP limit.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/186605/intel-core-i9-9900k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html

The default BIOS settings will set the long term turbo power limit PL1 to 95W. That is not enough power for maximum performance out of a 9900K. It is much more realistic to set the power limits to at least 200W or 250W. An even better idea is to set the turbo power limits to the maximum possible value which is 4095W. A CPU will never consume this many watts. Setting these limits sky high ensures that these limits never interfere with your CPU achieving maximum performance.

You can set these power limits in the BIOS. Right now while playing around with ThrottleStop, open up the TPL window and you can adjust PL1, the long term power limit and PL2, the short term power limit. The top values show what the power limits are presently set to and the second set of numbers allows you to increase these limits.

image.png.fe41201d7d1014c01722edd57407e4e5.png

Many 9900K will set an all core overclock in the BIOS so the CPU will run at 5000 MHz regardless of how many cores are active. There should be a multi core enhancement kind of option in the BIOS. If you open the ThrottleStop FIVR window, you can also set all of the turbo ratios to 50 to accomplish the same thing. This is technically overclocking so you will need to check the Overclock box in the turbo ratio section. 

If you make any changes in the BIOS, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file before you run this program. If you do not do this, ThrottleStop will use the previous settings you were using and will override any changes you have made in the BIOS. Do some more testing and post some more info.

@NelizMastr The CPU is only reaching 70°C so cooling is not a problem.

I know this sounds silly but

are you sure you aren't loading multiple instances of the game?

Once I noticed low fps in WoW and I was like wtf...turned out I had AFKed so long throughout the day I got DC'd twice, it minimized, I didn't realize I had it already and had like 5 instances of it running from me starting the game repeatedly throughout the day to log in 

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

@unclewebbI went ahead and overclocked the CPU, no clue if done correctly but basically followed a guide start to finish and then changed a few things when it didnt boot. I thought that solved the issue since i had around 250 FPS instead of the normal 80 in COD. However after 5-10 minutes im back at 80-100. Went ahead and got a new log after the changes and just like the last one its just a standard COD game.

2021-03-08.txt

5 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

I know this sounds silly but

are you sure you aren't loading multiple instances of the game?

Once I noticed low fps in WoW and I was like wtf...turned out I had AFKed so long throughout the day I got DC'd twice, it minimized, I didn't realize I had it already and had like 5 instances of it running from me starting the game repeatedly throughout the day to log in 

Yea not the problem, mainly play league and cold war and cant launch 2 of those. Thanks anyways though.

19 minutes ago, Myze said:

no clue if done correctly

Your log shows the CPU running at 3900 MHz so either it was a bad guide you followed or something else went wrong. Not great when you overclock and your CPU runs slower.

Your CPU is no longer reporting power consumption correctly. What sort of changes did you make in the BIOS or what guide did you try and follow?

What does ThrottleStop show for C0% when your computer is idle at the desktop? Check the Task Manager when idle. Does it show the CPU spending 99% of its time idle or do you have something running in the background sucking up CPU cycles? This seems to be the biggest problem. 

image.png.112d1516bfa65e2179857fc236ad0b4a.png

@unclewebbYea didnt boot when i set it higher so gonna have to revisit that. I have a log from 3 minutes in idle, only thing running is wallpaper engine and throttlestop. Yes the idle is at 99 in task manager.

2021-03-08.txt

Have you tried clearing CMOS and going from there to see if anything changes at all??? I would clear CMOS after upgrading a CPU to clear any defaults you had with your old processor. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

5 minutes ago, Myze said:

log from 3 minutes in idle

Your log file shows your CPU is spending over 50% of the time in the C0 state working on something. It is not normal for your temps to be up to 67°C to 70°C when idle.

When you are logging data, you have to exit ThrottleStop when you are done testing so it can finalize the log file. If you do not do that, it only writes data out to the log file at the end of every minute.

To copy and paste an image of ThrottleStop when idle, click on ThrottleStop to highlight it, hold the ALT key down and press the Print Screen button along the top row of most keyboards. This will put a screenshot in the clipboard. Go back to the forum and press CTRL + V to paste this image into the forum. This makes it a lot quicker to show me what is going on. 

6 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Your log file shows your CPU is spending over 50% of the time in the C0 state working on something. It is not normal for your temps to be up to 67°C to 70°C when idle.

When you are logging data, you have to exit ThrottleStop when you are done testing so it can finalize the log file. If you do not do that, it only writes data out to the log file at the end of every minute.

To copy and paste an image of ThrottleStop when idle, click on ThrottleStop to highlight it, hold the ALT key down and press the Print Screen button along the top row of most keyboards. This will put a screenshot in the clipboard. Go back to the forum and press CTRL + V to paste this image into the forum. This makes it a lot quicker to show me what is going on. 

image.png

16 minutes ago, Myze said:

image.png

image.png.35f7bc1da35abf232f9308a40c65e4b1.png

And after doing nothing for a few minutes it does this.

On 3/7/2021 at 5:34 AM, Myze said:

Yeah I’m dumb also changed motherboard to a Prime Z370-A. Sorry about that.

Here it is. You hot swapped the OS with all the old drivers from the other board I gather?

You could try removing the old chipset drivers, but usually this requires the board to be running the OS for proper removal.

Maybe a fresh windows install would be the best route.

Aside that, Need to overcome the thermal issue with cooling. ThrottleStop should help for now, but in the long term.....

1 hour ago, Myze said:

And after doing nothing for a few minutes it does this.

Something is loading your CPU. Open the Task Manager - Details tab and see if anything shows up in there when this happens.

What antivirus program are you running or anything else you can think of?  

I was trying to help someone with a similar issue recently. Nothing was showing up in the Task Manager. The change in C0% and the change in CPU temps confirms that something is running in the background. This load is enough to keep all 8 cores fully utilized. When you try to play a game on top of this, it is not going to perform very well.

58 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

thermal issue

What thermal issue? The temperatures are fine considering the load. It is definitely not thermal throttling.