Asus G531GU (Laptop) instability while running dual channel memory. Hey @ASUS, you here?

Sprcket
  • OS - Windows 10
  • x64
  • Age of system (hardware): Almost 2 Years old
  • Age of OS installation: Almost 2 Years old
  • CPU model: Intel I7-9750H 
  • Video Card model: NVidia GTX 1660ti (6gb VRam)
  • Exact model number: G531GU
  • Laptop

So here's the situation: Laptop ran perfectly fine with the stock 8Gb single stick of RAM that came with it. Never had any crashes, even with -100mV undervolt on CPU (ran like this for about 1.5 years)

Stock 8Gb stick of RAM: SKHynix 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2666V-SA1-11, part number: HMA81GS6JJR8N-VK NO AC 1908

I decided to upgrade and add an adittional 16Gb of RAM with the same CL.

Additional 16Gb stick of RAM: Kingston 16GB PC4-2666 CL19 260-Pin SODIMM, part number: KVR26S19D8/16

First crash occurred after ~1.5 weeks of installed the 16Gb Kingston stick. Crash happened during light use (was watching a YouTube video). First thing I did after the first crash was remove the CPU undervolt.

Image during the first crash/freeze: 

Spoiler

image_2021-01-07_181357-ab15ae0909afe185a03196e9442c8c88.png.6427148f4837e832371178afae75c224.pngimage_2021-01-07_181441-7329961157ed0fe502966b2a1bf91c85.png

Image during the second crash/freeze: 

Spoiler

20210125_161438.jpg.604fe285125acdf417558d8f5240b03c.jpg

Picture of the ghosting: 

Spoiler

20210125_161718.jpg.198a2708ae52fa41fbd7c2f622726bac.jpg

After that point, crashes occurred every 1-2 days, usually after an entire day of usage. Interesting to note that I haven't suffered from a crash during intensive workloads (Ansys eating up all the RAM, for example).

Well obviously, the RAM sticks aren't compatible, right? So I thought.

After about two weeks of crashing, I removed the 8Gb stick of RAM and left just the 16Gb stick installed. Worked flawlessly for about 3 weeks, until I thought:

Great! Well, since I need more than 16Gb of RAM, I bought an identical stick of 16Gb RAM.

Additional 16Gb stick of RAM (No.2): Kingston 16GB PC4-2666 CL19 260-Pin SODIMM, part number: KVR26S19D8/16

Yaaay 32 Gb of RAM, I thought. Until today, when it crashed in the same manner as when using the mismatched sticks.

One thing to note: From my unexperienced point of view, I think the problem is related to the way the integrated GPU is using the RAM. Whenever the laptop crashes, the image on the laptop's monitor gets scrambled (but the monitors connected straight to the GTX 1660ti are fine) and it doesn't reset itself unless I do it, and after the reset, artifacts ("ghosts") of the last seen image on screen are seen even on the windows Desktop. They go away after 1-2 minutes.

Images of RAM specs at this point:

Spoiler

image.png.65a4ab1272008961ac799ac3f9fe3634.pngimage.png.d495640aad44561520aa6f431d1456ce.pngimage.png.8f57048659aa44beb21543a5bef77d74.png

I ran the windows memory diagnostic from desperation, but it didn't find anything wrong. If you guys have any clue as to what could possibly be the issue here, I'm all ears. Maybe the memory controller? Wrong RAM Voltage? Wrong speed?

Thanks you for reading this post.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue. I sold stock 8 gb hynix ram. I bought two Kingston KHX2666C15S4/8G 8 gb ram. After that this problem has started. Our laptops are very similar. My laptop is ASUS G531-GU. Did you solve this problem?

269820959_WhatsAppImage2021-03-17at15_29_35.thumb.jpeg.21d448b1753b11ee95b59ba2e240d93a.jpeg

On 3/17/2021 at 2:37 PM, hmdszn said:

I had the same issue. I sold stock 8 gb hynix ram. I bought two Kingston KHX2666C15S4/8G 8 gb ram. After that this problem has started. Our laptops are very similar. My laptop is ASUS G531-GU. Did you solve this problem?

No, not yet, but I think I'm on the right track to diagnosing the issue. I've labeled my slots A and B and my sticks 1 and 2. I think my "A" slot is the one with issues. It crashes even with a single stick of RAM in it, so it's not related to dual-channel operation. (My B slot was the one with the Hynix memory in it for ~1.5 years). I'm afraid this might be a hardware related issue, and considering we're coming close to the end of the warranty, I'm trying to figure this out ASAP.

If anyone has a contact over at ASUS that could help, I would be extremely grateful.

4 hours ago, Sprcket said:

No, not yet, but I think I'm on the right track to diagnosing the issue. I've labeled my slots A and B and my sticks 1 and 2. I think my "A" slot is the one with issues. It crashes even with a single stick of RAM in it, so it's not related to dual-channel operation. (My B slot was the one with the Hynix memory in it for ~1.5 years). I'm afraid this might be a hardware related issue, and considering we're coming close to the end of the warranty, I'm trying to figure this out ASAP.

If anyone has a contact over at ASUS that could help, I would be extremely grateful.

This is a very sad situation. İ choose Asus Rog laptop because of their quality. But this is very annoying. I couldn't do anything like projects or coding because the laptop could crash anytime and i could lose my unsaved data. I have 1 more year warranty to send asus service. But i don't know what will i do. If there is any improvement please notify me. I would be grateful for that. I hope we will solve this problem as soon as possible.

I also chose not to send it into service, as the crashes occur randomly and at large time intervals (~1 day). An inexperienced tech might just say "it's fine" and not look into it further. 

I will send it in when I pin-pointed the problem and the steps to replicate it. It's quite inconvenient, because I need the damn laptop. In about two weeks I will have the necessary data to tell them what's wrong. (What RAM and in what configuration the laptop crashes).

I absoultely agree with you. Sometimes it happens once a week. I wrote a ticket for Asus Service. I am waiting for the answer. When they answer my ticket i will share the information. I disabled intel hd graphics 630 on device manager. Maybe it causes this crash. I am not be able to set laptop brightness but it is worth to try. And i can not find anything in Windows event viewer. I also wondered, does your computer give you a blue screen or is it freezing forever like mine? If i can not find a solution I will sell this laptop. Thanks Asus.

14 hours ago, hmdszn said:

I absoultely agree with you. Sometimes it happens once a week. I wrote a ticket for Asus Service. I am waiting for the answer. When they answer my ticket i will share the information. I disabled intel hd graphics 630 on device manager. Maybe it causes this crash. I am not be able to set laptop brightness but it is worth to try. And i can not find anything in Windows event viewer. I also wondered, does your computer give you a blue screen or is it freezing forever like mine? If i can not find a solution I will sell this laptop. Thanks Asus.

It's freezing forever.

I got a response from ASUS!

The laptop has only been tested with these 16GB modules:

HYNIX/HMA82GS6CJR8N-VK

SAMSUNG/M471A2K43DB1-CTD

HYNIX/HMA82GS6JJR8N-VK

These are all SINGLE RANK MODULES. I am having issues while using KINGSTON DUAL RANK modules. This could, to some degree explain the instability in my case, but it's not consistent. Runs fine with one dual rank module in the slot normally used from the factory.

Can you give me the exact model number, written on your RAM modules? If these are SINGLE RANK, the issue might very well not be with our RAM sticks.

These are mine. And also i called Asus technic servise. They said "If the rams speed are compatible there should be no problem." And they will gather information and call me again. I am waiting for the solution. I am using computers for 15 years. I have never seen like this before. I bought this ram kit https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Memory/Vengeance®-Series-16GB-(2x8GB)-DDR4-SODIMM-2666MHz-CL18-Memory-Kit/p/CMSX16GX4M2A2666C18 I will try this kit and send you information.

ram.PNG

ram3.PNG

ramm.PNG

I cannot find any information regarding the rank of your currently installed KHX2666C15S4 DIMMS. It would be useful to know whether or not they are SINGLE or DUAL RANK. 

Corsair also fails to include this information on their page, and they also don't give a part number or datasheet. 

I would personally suggest trying a set of 2 * Single Rank modules, if you're buying something new anyway. 

Please post some screenshots of your Corsair ram part numbers after you install them. Thanks! 

I have an asus with constant crashes but in my case is due to poor vrm thermals design. BUT, sometimes, after upgrading my memory it started to crash also due to memory problems. It's not the first Asus laptop I had problems with and a rog laptop I had before had even more problems starting with just not working with any linux distro and then more firmware problems. Also, as a repairman I can't recommend Asus laptops. Needless to say the seller and Asus both washed their hands on the responsability of a bad laptop with also a really bad keyboard and bad construction quality. It's just the Asus style

1 hour ago, Computerror said:

I have an asus with constant crashes but in my case is due to poor vrm thermals design. BUT, sometimes, after upgrading my memory it started to crash also due to memory problems. It's not the first Asus laptop I had problems with and a rog laptop I had before had even more problems starting with just not working with any linux distro and then more firmware problems. Also, as a repairman I can't recommend Asus laptops. Needless to say the seller and Asus both washed their hands on the responsability of a bad laptop with also a really bad keyboard and bad construction quality. It's just the Asus style

Well I mean crap, if they sold me a laptop that was advertised to work in dual channel and it doesn't, that's false advertising. I've been happy with Asus products so far, this is the first stinker that I bought. Unfortunately it's a over $1000 USD stinker and I'm a student.

Regarding their response with the compatible 16GB RAM Modules, I don't see that listed anywhere publicly. I assumed that if the RAM I buy has the same specs as the RAM that's already in the laptop from the factory it's work, but guess that's not the case.

1 hour ago, Computerror said:

38 minutes ago, Sprcket said:

Well I mean crap, if they sold me a laptop that was advertised to work in dual channel and it doesn't, that's false advertising. I've been happy with Asus products so far, this is the first stinker that I bought. Unfortunately it's a over $1000 USD stinker and I'm a student.

Regarding their response with the compatible 16GB RAM Modules, I don't see that listed anywhere publicly. I assumed that if the RAM I buy has the same specs as the RAM that's already in the laptop from the factory it's work, but guess that's not the case.

I like rog style, rgb leds, desing, keyboard, touchpad, cooling, performance etc. Normally this computer doesn't have any problem. Until ram update. My first ram was hynix which asus send it with this laptop. After that i bought 2 kingston hyperx impact rams. These rams are completely same and you can buy these rams being a dual kit on amazon. https://www.amazon.com.tr/Kingston-HX426S15IB2-K2-16-bellek-DDR4-2666-HyperX-Impact/dp/B01N2VUOBJ I share ram information on my previous comment you can check. And laptop crash started. If i use only one slot there is no problem. On memtest no problem too. These two rams are completely stable but laptop still crashing. I talked with asus service. They only say buy dual kit rams. What are the dual kit rams? I always think if you buy completely same 2 rams these work like a dual kit ram. Anyway i found corsair dual kit ram. And i bought it. I think tomorrow it will come and i will try. https://www.amazon.com.tr/gp/product/B01BMMVNL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I wonder if this corsair dual kit ram doesn't work consistent, what will the asus service say? And also i don't have to use this computer with single channel ram.I think Asus service workers don't know anyhing. 

7 hours ago, hmdszn said:

I always think if you buy completely same 2 rams these work like a dual kit ram.

This usually works, provided the sticks come from the same batch, but not always. There have been instances when a RAM OEM changed chip supplier for the same product and broke compatibility. Yours look alright, though.

20 minutes ago, Sprcket said:

This usually works, provided the sticks come from the same batch, but not always. There have been instances when a RAM OEM changed chip supplier for the same product and broke compatibility. Yours look alright, though.

Tomorrow new corsair dual ram kit coming. I wilI share information after trying these ram kit. I hope it won't be a problem that way. But if they don't work (crash again) i don't have any idea what should i do. Sending service or buying 1x16gb ram. 16 gb ram is enough for me. I really don't know what should i do. Do you have any idea or plan? What you gonna do if we can't solve this problem?

11 hours ago, hmdszn said:

Tomorrow new corsair dual ram kit coming. I wilI share information after trying these ram kit. I hope it won't be a problem that way. But if they don't work (crash again) i don't have any idea what should i do. Sending service or buying 1x16gb ram. 16 gb ram is enough for me. I really don't know what should i do. Do you have any idea or plan? What you gonna do if we can't solve this problem?

Nice! Well, service probably won't do jack s**t, but if they don't fix it, you can ask for your money back. I will probably do the same thing - buy whatever RAM they suggested and if that still crashes, send it to service, and when they fail to fix it or release a BIOS update that lets me fine tune the ram in an attempt to make it bloody work (I actually need 32 Gb) I will ask for (at least) 75% of the original laptop price, as it was sold defective.

5 hours ago, Sprcket said:

Nice! Well, service probably won't do jack s**t, but if they don't fix it, you can ask for your money back. I will probably do the same thing - buy whatever RAM they suggested and if that still crashes, send it to service, and when they fail to fix it or release a BIOS update that lets me fine tune the ram in an attempt to make it bloody work (I actually need 32 Gb) I will ask for (at least) 75% of the original laptop price, as it was sold defective.

I installed new corsair dual-kit rams. After 3 hours Memtest86 test the corsair kit has no error like previous hyperx rams. I am using this system as usual. If system crash again i will tell you. If system won't crash i also tell you. I hope it is gonna be a solution.

16 hours ago, hmdszn said:

I installed new corsair dual-kit rams. After 3 hours Memtest86 test the corsair kit has no error like previous hyperx rams. I am using this system as usual. If system crash again i will tell you. If system won't crash i also tell you. I hope it is gonna be a solution.

Nice!

While running memory tests everything was fine for me too, even after 12 hours. For me, the first crashes occurred sometimes after 3 days, sometimes after 7 days.

I hope to hear good news from you!

3 hours ago, Sprcket said:

Nice!

While running memory tests everything was fine for me too, even after 12 hours. For me, the first crashes occurred sometimes after 3 days, sometimes after 7 days.

I hope to hear good news from you!

I hope bro. First day no crash but as you said the first crashes occured sometimes after 3,5 or 7 days. I will update everyday. Is there any crash or not. If you are interested i added new rams cpu-z images.

ram.PNG

ram2.PNG

ram3.PNG

7 hours ago, hmdszn said:

If you are interested i added new rams cpu-z images

Thank you!

I just realized something. Even though ASUS said we should use single rank modules, your Kingston RAM was SINGLE RANK. So that problem is not because of the damn rank. 

Maybe it's just something to do with Kingston memory - we're both having issues with kingston RAM, wether it be single or dual rank. 

I hope you won't have any issues with your Corsair RAM with Samsung chips!

56 minutes ago, Sprcket said:

Thank you!

I just realized something. Even though ASUS said we should use single rank modules, your Kingston RAM was SINGLE RANK. So that problem is not because of the damn rank. 

Maybe it's just something to do with Kingston memory - we're both having issues with kingston RAM, wether it be single or dual rank. 

I hope you won't have any issues with your Corsair RAM with Samsung chips!

I think most important thing is buying a dual kit ram. We are not sure this is a solution or not. I am still testing corsair dual kit rams. But maybe if i bought kingston hyperx rams as a dual kit (these are exactly same but i didn't buy as a dual kit i bought x2 same ram) there would be no problem. I don't know we gonna see. Like me you are waiting the result. My laptop open at least 14 hours a day. I am waiting for any crash. If there is something different i will tell you.  And also thanks for best wishes.

37 minutes ago, hmdszn said:

I think most important thing is buying a dual kit ram. We are not sure this is a solution or not. I am still testing corsair dual kit rams. But maybe if i bought kingston hyperx rams as a dual kit (these are exactly same but i didn't buy as a dual kit i bought x2 same ram) there would be no problem. I don't know we gonna see. Like me you are waiting the result. My laptop open at least 14 hours a day. I am waiting for any crash. If there is something different i will tell you.  And also thanks for best wishes.

I am having the same issues while running single channel memory Kingston 16Gb DIMMS. Mismatched RAM is certainly not the issue here. 

1 hour ago, Sprcket said:

I am having the same issues while running single channel memory Kingston 16Gb DIMMS. Mismatched RAM is certainly not the issue here. 

I forgot it. You are right about that. Our all rams were kingston. And they were causing problem. We haven't found what is the problem yet but still testing. And also asus service doesn't recommend kingston.  They said hynix and samsung rams. I don't know why. What about your default Hynix ram. Was there any problem? And i want to ask one more question about thermals. When i playing GTA V cpu temperature going up to 96 gpu going up to 74. These temperatures too high i think. What do you think? What about yours?

8 hours ago, hmdszn said:

What about your default Hynix ram. Was there any problem?

No, with the default 8GB Hynix ram I never had any issues. 

8 hours ago, hmdszn said:

When i playing GTA V cpu temperature going up to 96 gpu going up to 74. These temperatures too high i think. What do you think? What about yours?

Because of the sluggish default fan curve, yes, it is normal to have spikes of up to 95C-97C on CPU temp and ~75C on GPU Temp. It depends on the ambient temperature as well. Unfortunately the fan curves are also, for god knows what reason, locked.

What I've done is undervolted the CPU by ~105mV using ThrottleStop. Lowered temps by a few degrees. Also, for prolonged usage (when running CFD simulations overnight, for example), I use one of those cheap coolers you put under your laptop in order to cool the motherboard components.

Once we've sorted out this RAM problem I'm planning on changing the thermal paste with liquid metal (was about time anyways, almost 2 years since purchase).

6 hours ago, Sprcket said:

No, with the default 8GB Hynix ram I never had any issues. 

Because of the sluggish default fan curve, yes, it is normal to have spikes of up to 95C-97C on CPU temp and ~75C on GPU Temp. It depends on the ambient temperature as well. Unfortunately the fan curves are also, for god knows what reason, locked.

What I've done is undervolted the CPU by ~105mV using ThrottleStop. Lowered temps by a few degrees. Also, for prolonged usage (when running CFD simulations overnight, for example), I use one of those cheap coolers you put under your laptop in order to cool the motherboard components.

Once we've sorted out this RAM problem I'm planning on changing the thermal paste with liquid metal (was about time anyways, almost 2 years since purchase).

Armoury crate has turbo mode. With turbo mode fans work very loudly but it cools the laptop very well. If you are using headset there is no problem. I haven't done any voltage chance. I also always use this laptop with 17 inch laptop cooler. Last update  after 3 days no ram crash. I heard liquid metal first time. What is the difference between thermal paste and liquid metal i will google it.

3 hours ago, hmdszn said:

Armoury crate has turbo mode.

Hmm, yes, I recall seeing something like that. Asus has made like 6 different stupid pieces of software for controlling fan speed and none of them worked when I tried them 😄

3 hours ago, hmdszn said:

after 3 days no ram crash

Nice! Hope to hear the same after a week 😄