Motherboard Ethernet Issues

Hey all

I have been having some issues with my ethernet connection to my newly built pc. At first my ethernet controller would not show up at all in device manager, despite being enabled in the bios. I tried to install the LAN drivers but it gave me an error message because the Ethernet controller wasn't being detected at all.

I was planning on replacing the board, but I decided to try going into the bios, disabling and re-enabling the Onboard LAN controller to see if it did anything. This ended up working and I could connect to the internet.

However upon putting the pc into sleep mode or shutting it down, the issue would happen again. The Ethernet controller would not be detected again, and the only was I could resolve it was by going into the bios, disabling and re-enabling the Onboard LAN controller.

I read to fix this that I could change the power management settings for the Ethernet controller, so I did that but it didn't do anything. I also updated the bios to the most recent version and now even if I disable and re-enable the Onboard LAN controller in the bios, it doesn't work at all.

I'm wondering if I should go forward with the replacement or if there is a way to resolve this problem permanenetly?

Any help is appreciated, thanks so much

Usually when onboard network adapters don't function correctly, I just go the PCI network card route, its as effective. You don't need to swap the entire motherboard.

The last time I dealt with an Ethernet controller not showing up in the OS it was a hardware problem.

If you go into Device Manager and look under Network Devices does your network controller show up there but say "Disabled"?

If you have a spare PCI_e slot I'd probably just buy a basic Intel 1gig NIC instead of replacing the whole board.

Is your grounding any good? I have a computer running on a poorly grounded circuit and occasionally I have to turn it off and unplug it, plug it back in, otherwise the wireless network adaptor isn't detected

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

The last time I dealt with an Ethernet controller not showing up in the OS it was a hardware problem.

If you go into Device Manager and look under Network Devices does your network controller show up there but say "Disabled"?

If you have a spare PCI_e slot I'd probably just buy a basic Intel 1gig NIC instead of replacing the whole board.

I was considering just getting a new NIC, someone else I spoke to was saying that other components of the motherboard may be faulty as well that I don't yet know about. They also said that they have seen instances of separate Ethernet cards messing up the motherboards. Are either of these actually risks that I need to look out for?

6 minutes ago, WhoIsSEV7N said:

I was considering just getting a new NIC, someone else I spoke to was saying that other components of the motherboard may be faulty as well that I don't yet know about. They also said that they have seen instances of separate Ethernet cards messing up the motherboards. Are either of these actually risks that I need to look out for?

You said it's newly built? If you're within RMA I'd send the board back. You may also be able to send it directly to the manufacturer if you're outside that.

Beyond that I'd still opt for the band-aid fix. You're welcome to run your own diagnostic test to see if anything else is faulty but most of the time if a PC manages to POST and is stable you're only going to find one thing wrong with it when something does go wrong.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You said it's newly built? If you're within RMA I'd send the board back. You may also be able to send it directly to the manufacturer if you're outside that.

Beyond that I'd still opt for the band-aid fix. You're welcome to run your own diagnostic test to see if anything else is faulty but most of the time if a PC manages to POST and is stable you're only going to find one thing wrong with it when something does go wrong.

Okay understood. I did put in an RMA application yesterday and I'm waiting to hear back from Msi. However I did order the board a couple months ago from amazon and the return period is over unfortunately. Definitely should have ordered is closer to now but I didn't realize it would take me this long to get the remaining parts I need

Just now, WhoIsSEV7N said:

Okay understood. I did put in an RMA application yesterday and I'm waiting to hear back from Msi. However I did order the board a couple months ago from amazon and the return period is over unfortunately. Definitely should have ordered is closer to now but I didn't realize it would take me this long to get the remaining parts I need

What motherboard is it exactly?

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

What motherboard is it exactly?

It's an MSI B450 A Pro Max

2 minutes ago, WhoIsSEV7N said:

It's an MSI B450 A Pro Max

It should have a 3 year warranty from MSI. So they should send you a replacement.