Lost Administrator rights on Windows 10

BurnedPriest

So I f*cked up because I wanted to install an app to monitor network traffic in my home pc and I tried doing that by installing SolarWinds Orion.

Apparently it's a very sophisticated tool that I had no idea what it's doing and it ended up installing a TON of software including SQL server packages (that still don't know how they work).

After it finished and I realised that this is not what I was looking for, I uninstalled 34 pieces of software using IObitUninstaller and from then on I lost access to my main C drive and to a lot of settings and features in Windows that require administrator rights. 
When I try accesing C I get a message that access is denied. 

I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to computers but I have no idea what to do. I can't perform system restore as I, again, don't have admin rights. 

I'd appreciate if someone can put me out of my misery.

oh boy I have been there, you'd need to boot into safe mode and choose the hidden administrator user, using that you make your original user an admin

I did it a long time ago but that's what I generally can remember

7 minutes ago, VxZ said:

oh boy I have been there, you'd need to boot into safe mode and choose the hidden administrator user, using that you make your original user an admin

I did it a long time ago but that's what I generally can remember

If that doesn't work, you will need to reinstall windows. Which is probably your best choice anyways after having installed all that database crap. Next time you want to setup something that needs that stuff, try a virtual machine instead or create a linux bootable thumb drive to mess around with.

Oh man, the days of ruining my parents PC because of experimenting. Not saying that is OP's situation, it just brought me back to that. I would just restore a backup....you have that, right OP?

good luck

here is the command for joining a user to local administrator group

net localgroup Administrators "your Username" /add

Just an update, apparently the admin rights for the C drive where wiped somehow and I couldn't edit them from my main account. 

I tried many different things for many hours but ultimately I couldn't edit the permissions or perform a system restore because I had no rights.

As a last ditch effort I logged in to another Windows installation on another drive that I luckily have and to my surprise I couldn't access the said drive from there either.

BUT from this installation it did let me edit the permissions so I gave it to everyone and when I went back to the original installation it finally let me do a system restore. 

So everything is good, thanks guys!