How to connect my Bluetooth mouse to Laptop without provided dongle

Mr.Stork
Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

It's not Bluetooth, it's proprietary "lightspeed" protocol. So you need the dongle.

There are models that do both but they're more the "office" type than the "gaming" types.

YES, I have tried going to Bluetooth settings and clicking "Add a Bluetooth or other device" but it doesnt work with my G304/5. It only connects if I attach the provided bluetooth dongle that came with the mouse.

I just don't want to keep a tiny dongle around which I may loose.

Even though I could put it in the mouse's dongle area, but it's a hassle to open and close the lid multiple times a day, daily. It also chips away the durability of the lid.

There's always that one thing that a mouse can't do...

1 minute ago, Mr.Stork said:

YES, I have tried going to Bluetooth settings and clicking "Add a Bluetooth or other device" but it doesnt work with my G304/5. It only connects if I attach the provided bluetooth dongle that came with the mouse.

I just don't want to keep a tiny dongle around which I may loose. Even though I could put it in the mouse's dongle area, but it's a hassle to open and close the lid multiple times a day, daily. It also chips away the durability of the lid.

There's always that one thing that a mouse can't do...

The Logitech G304 isn't a BlueTooth mouse. The dongle it comes with uses a proprietary 2.4GHz signal.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

It's not Bluetooth, it's proprietary "lightspeed" protocol. So you need the dongle.

There are models that do both but they're more the "office" type than the "gaming" types.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

2 hours ago, kirashi said:

The Logitech G304 isn't a BlueTooth mouse. The dongle it comes with uses a proprietary 2.4GHz signal.

You say "proprietary" so that isnt bluetooth or something else entirely? Also, won't a 5Ghz signal be better than a 2.4Ghz one?

Cuz most often than not, mouse will be close to the pc, so distance wont matter, they also provide an extender.

6 hours ago, Mr.Stork said:

You say "proprietary" so that isnt bluetooth or something else entirely? Also, won't a 5Ghz signal be better than a 2.4Ghz one?

Cuz most often than not, mouse will be close to the pc, so distance wont matter, they also provide an extender.

It's a custom 802.11 connection (2.4GHz). I'm not sure why they chose 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz, but they don't need the bandwidth of 5GHz, what they need is low latency and a stable connection.

11 hours ago, Mr.Stork said:

Bluetooth is simply a protocol that uses the 2.4GHz frequency range. Unless your mouse actually uses Bluetooth, it will instead operate using a custom model/manufacturer specific protocol over whatever frequency range the manufacturer has decided to utilize. Most wireless mice with a USB dongle operate on a proprietary 2.4GHz protocol, hence why they're not always Bluetooth. And as @Inelasticsaid, wireless keyboards and mice us so little data that there's no point in operating in the 5GHz space, so manufacturers often use the 2.4GHz spectrum when designing the protocol.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)