The Price of The Right to Repair - Louis Rossmann

tridy

In his video Louis  explains how it worked in the automobile industry to pass the right to repair, how many parties were involved in that and how much money needed to get the voting done through bypassing the politicians, bureaucracy and lobbying and people laughing at your face.

He said it is going to cost around 5 million to make this happen. It is a lot of money for one person but not so much if we help him.

It could be once in a lifetime opportunity to make a huge change for us, the consumers of this industry.

What are your thoughts on how we can help him. He is putting a lot of his personal energy and passion into that.

I though that if we have several tech YouTubers and Louis on the stream talking about the problem and raising the funds.

I would definitely like to tell the story to my grandchildren one day that I was a part of it. I want my right to repair!

as he said in the video.. you only really get 1 chance every like 6 years because of the way the ballot questions work. I don't think people are ready yet or even know what right to repair means yet. 

2 minutes ago, The_Vaccine said:

as he said in the video.. you only really get 1 chance every like 6 years because of the way the ballot questions work. I don't think people are ready yet or even know what right to repair means yet. 

Well, I think it is better to try and wait 6 years than not to try at all. Then we as the community could take the responsibility of educating others about what the right to repair is. Someone mentioned the idea to get Louis on TED talk. I do not know if there is some sort of nomination or if it costs something. Even a failed attempt could produce publicity so there are more chances the next time, even if we will need to wait for 6 years.

1 hour ago, tridy said:

Well, I think it is better to try and wait 6 years than not to try at all. Then we as the community could take the responsibility of educating others about what the right to repair is. Someone mentioned the idea to get Louis on TED talk. I do not know if there is some sort of nomination or if it costs something. Even a failed attempt could produce publicity so there are more chances the next time, even if we will need to wait for 6 years.

i don't think you understand how dangerous it could be.. if you put it onto ballots now and it fails, you need to wait a long time.. that gives incentives for all the manufactures to go full blast turbo mode and serialize everything. people can't vote to make it better because you need to wait 6 years and legislature moves 30 years behind.

so while we wait for the next time to put it on, people will become used to the reality of no right to repair and then it will never pass. you only have 1 chance. 

7 hours ago, The_Vaccine said:

i don't think you understand how dangerous it could be.. if you put it onto ballots now and it fails, you need to wait a long time.. that gives incentives for all the manufactures to go full blast turbo mode and serialize everything. people can't vote to make it better because you need to wait 6 years and legislature moves 30 years behind.

so while we wait for the next time to put it on, people will become used to the reality of no right to repair and then it will never pass. you only have 1 chance. 

Why the manufacturers today would not go full blast turbo mode and serialize everything regardless of anything? It is not like there is anything that prevents them from doing that or they are afraid of anything. It is not like we have something to wait for to happen before we can take this step.

I can see that people are already used to the reality of no right to repair and believe that this is how it should work. Quite a few I know even are not aware of the concept. I would say that the longer we wait the less chances we have for it to pass.

Apple laughs behind hundred team top firm lawyers, millions in politician bribes and billions in cash war reserves.

10 hours ago, tridy said:

Why the manufacturers today would not go full blast turbo mode and serialize everything regardless of anything? It is not like there is anything that prevents them from doing that or they are afraid of anything. It is not like we have something to wait for to happen before we can take this step.

I can see that people are already used to the reality of no right to repair and believe that this is how it should work. Quite a few I know even are not aware of the concept. I would say that the longer we wait the less chances we have for it to pass.

they can do it now but they won't. If they start doing it even more, then more consumers will be fed up and there will be pushback. if they wait for a failed vote, then they have basically 6 years to do whatever they want. 

On 3/6/2021 at 8:49 PM, The_Vaccine said:

they can do it now but they won't. If they start doing it even more, then more consumers will be fed up and there will be pushback. if they wait for a failed vote, then they have basically 6 years to do whatever they want. 

You seem to be very confident about what you are saying. Do you know how much it costs to implement the serialization and support it? I think that they are not doing it because it costs extra do to the serialization and then to handle it and their margins are lower that Apple's. Probably the closed ecosystem helps with that as well.

Second, I do not understand the argument of waiting for 6 years. Is there something that I am not aware of that is on the way and should happen within the coming 6 years, and  therefore if the vote fails it would negatively affect it? What kind of difference will it make otherwise? It sounds more like "die waiting without trying" reply to me.

Lastly, if the customers were not fed up with will the stuff the Louis talks about, seriously, could the customers bend over even more?

Edited by tridy
Splng