Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

At what point when do you have too fast of an internet connection.

Regarding the title, let me explain:

So this spring (hopefully) my town is getting fiber internet lines in the ground in my town. They will have speeds of 4 packages (at least that I’m aware of) 100mbps ($40/mo), 250 ($60/mo), 500($90/mo) and gigabit ($140/mo) (Also I don’t know if these are the final prices). At what point does it become too much of an internet connection, that it would be better to save your money rather than not using the bandwidth. Now I know that you say that it depends on what I’m doing. I’m a massive gamer and tech with several computers, and watch a lot of video’s a day and there is  3 of us in the house. I’m the one using the most bandwidth obviously. I’m hoping to one day get cloud backups going (but not now). But do massive downloads a day with programs, VM’s, videos... etc... So I’m hoping to do the 250mbps plan, but would it be better to opt for the 500? I’m not doing gigabit because my main pc would only be able to benefit from the gig because of router limitations. So what should I do? Start with the 250 and if I need more upgrade later to the 500? Or start with the 500? Or will 250 be enough for what I use on a daily basis? The main reason I’m asking is because for my whole life I have never had an internet connection that’s faster than like 125mbps. (Except school but let’s be honest that doesn’t really count)

Honestly, I would start with 250. You need to see, if you get the advertised speeds first, before paying an arm and a leg for internet. Odds are, if you are a going to see a significant amount more of speed, then you don't even need to upgrade too much. I have a similar issue here in Mississippi. They are just now introducing fiber internet lines here.

Do they give you the option to step the plan up later? If so, I'd get the 250 plan. If you find that all three of you watching videos makes you wish you had more bandwidth, step the plan up to the 500

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

Project Hot Box

CPU Ryzen 7 5800x, Motherboard MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge Wifi, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200mhz (2x16), GPU AMD Raedon 6800 XT FE, Case Silverstone RVZ03B, Storage CORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR sf600, Cooling Noctua NH-L12S, Displays LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch, 32 inch curved that I can't find the model number for right now; UPerfect 7 inch LCD Aida64 Display, Keyboard Corsair K95, Mouse Corsair Nightblade, Sound AT2020+ USB Mic, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Schiit Magni, Modi Loki mini stack. 

3 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

Do they give you the option to step the plan up later? If so, I'd get the 250 plan. If you find that all three of you watching videos makes you wish you had more bandwidth, step the plan up to the 500

I would assume so, because my current internet is with them it’s just over the air internet instead of fiber and I would assume they would just let you do the same with the fiber lines as they do allow it currently on their over the air.

IMO the 250 plan is fine. Better can be nice, but it doesn't sound like you really need that much speed. If it turns out that you do need more you can always upgrade later. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

HD video (720p or 1080p) streams require a bandwidth of at least 5 Mbps, while the best internet speed for 4K streaming is a minimum of 25 Mbps

from a quick google search. so lets say you have 3 pcs streaming hd video and 5 other people in your house are each streaming another hd video. You're up to 8 hd video streams for a total of 200 mbps needed for THE BEST situation. Add in 50 mbps for other things requiring internet, smart appliances, phone use, app updates, etc. 250 can handle it, and that's not a normal usage.

To conclude: 50 is tiny, 100 is bare minimum for a small household. 200 which is starter for my area with Spectrum is a really good spot to be in for most situations and households. anything above that is gravy for most. Now if you do a lot of streaming/uploading you might benefit from a higher tier to get more than 10 up, but 200 is fine for the majority. I have myself, wifey, and 5 kids. Each kid has a fire tablet and we have 4 smart tvs, 2 pcs and a nice tablet for wifey. Wifey and I each have a phone as well. Can I run off 200, yes. Do I get a discount based on my job that let me get the 600 super cheap and took it cuz why not, absolutely.

With your tiers 100, 250, 500, and gig, I'd say 200 is fine, if the 500 is within your price range, it's gonna be nice, but not necessary. I don't see you needing more than that unless there's something you didn't tell us

20 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

wait are there companies that won't let you upgrade?? that would be a very stupid business move to not let people spend more money

Just now, Jtalk4456 said:

wait are there companies that won't let you upgrade?? that would be a very stupid business move to not let people spend more money

It would be stupid, I'm not sure if there are or there aren't. You never know what some companies try to fit into contracts, cancel this contract to set up to 500 etc. I also generally don't trust people or companies. When I stepped my internet up I got it in email that there would be no extra set up costs even though I'm not in a "yearly" contract.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

Project Hot Box

CPU Ryzen 7 5800x, Motherboard MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge Wifi, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200mhz (2x16), GPU AMD Raedon 6800 XT FE, Case Silverstone RVZ03B, Storage CORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR sf600, Cooling Noctua NH-L12S, Displays LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch, 32 inch curved that I can't find the model number for right now; UPerfect 7 inch LCD Aida64 Display, Keyboard Corsair K95, Mouse Corsair Nightblade, Sound AT2020+ USB Mic, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Schiit Magni, Modi Loki mini stack. 

It really varies user to user. Start with the plan you think will best suit you. If you find you never use that much bandwidth you can step down one to save money. If you need more go up a step.

Guides & Tutorials:

Testing for RAM Errors w/ MemTest86

How To: Remotely Access a Computer, Server, or NAS

How To: Access Remote Systems at Home/Work Securely from Anywhere with Pritunl

How to Format Storage Devices in Windows 10

A How-To: Drive Sharing in Windows 10

VFIO GPU Pass-though w/ Looking Glass KVM on Ubuntu 19.04

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

iPXE Network Booting to an iSCSI Target

In the Queue:

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

Alright, you all have spoken. When it comes out I'll start with the 250, if I need more I'll upgrade more. Thanks Y'all!