Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cleaned my PC, now my GPU is toast? Help!

Hello!

I鈥檓 looking for help from this forum as I don鈥檛 know where to look next on my issue. TL;DR below 馃檪

I recently opened my PC to clean out the dust that it has accumulated over the聽past 5 years. I have a Silverstone SG13 so disassembling is required to get into all the nooks and crannies. I took my HDD, SDD, GPU and聽PSU out which cleared enough space to reach in. I did this all in my living room as it was raining outside,聽with a fan blowing dust/air out a window. I throw everything back in how it originally was, and waited until the next morning to boot as I wanted to make sure that no stray water droplets got into the case. I don鈥檛 think anything got into it as I was far enough from the window.

I plug everything in and power on the system only to be met with my GPU spinning at 100% fan speed, then the system shuts off about 30 seconds later. It then loops on and off until I have to manually power it off. I proceed to look for answers online and find that it could be a number of things. I have a newer,聽similar system in the house, so I swap the PSU from each and it turns out the old PSU has died. I come to this conclusion as it stopped power looping once I put the new one in. The next issue is that the GPU is still running at 100% fan speed and does not show a display through HDMI nor DP. It does, however, show me a display through internal graphics from my MOBO. I put my GPU into my newer system, and it does the exact same thing. So I鈥檓聽assuming it鈥檚 a GPU issue. I put the newer PC鈥檚 GPU into the older system and it works just fine, so I assume the MOBO is good.聽I took apart the card to look for any signs of problems and find nothing, and聽applied new聽thermal paste since I was already聽in there. Now I don鈥檛 know what to do.

System specs for older PC:

CPU: Intel I7 6700k

GPU: MSI 1070 Aero OC 8gb

PSU: Silverstone SFX聽500W聽SX500-LG
MOBO: Gigabyte Z170N-Wifi

RAM: 16gb HyperX DDR4

System specs for newer PC:

CPU: Intel I7 9700k

GPU: GTX 970

PSU: Silverstone 750w

MOBO Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi

RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance

tl;dr

I cleaned PC, put components back together and found my old PSU had died. Put new PSU聽in and now my GPU fan spins at 100% and has no display output. Put GPU into newer system and same results. Internal graphics on both systems work fine. Different GPU on both systems work fine. RIP 1070?

I appreciate all input!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had issues in the past where if I applied too much thermal paste, or used too much or too little pressure on the screws I would experience a similar problem. Maybe give that a go?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe.聽

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Levent said:

I have had issues in the past where if I applied too much thermal paste, or used too much or too little pressure on the screws I would experience a similar problem. Maybe give that a go?

Thanks for the reply! I gave it a go but sadly聽we get the聽same result 馃槥

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Xpal said:

Hello!

I鈥檓 looking for help from this forum as I don鈥檛 know where to look next on my issue. TL;DR below 馃檪

I recently opened my PC to clean out the dust that it has accumulated over the聽past 5 years. I have a Silverstone SG13 so disassembling is required to get into all the nooks and crannies. I took my HDD, SDD, GPU and聽PSU out which cleared enough space to reach in. I did this all in my living room as it was raining outside,聽with a fan blowing dust/air out a window. I throw everything back in how it originally was, and waited until the next morning to boot as I wanted to make sure that no stray water droplets got into the case. I don鈥檛 think anything got into it as I was far enough from the window.

I plug everything in and power on the system only to be met with my GPU spinning at 100% fan speed, then the system shuts off about 30 seconds later. It then loops on and off until I have to manually power it off. I proceed to look for answers online and find that it could be a number of things. I have a newer,聽similar system in the house, so I swap the PSU from each and it turns out the old PSU has died. I come to this conclusion as it stopped power looping once I put the new one in. The next issue is that the GPU is still running at 100% fan speed and does not show a display through HDMI nor DP. It does, however, show me a display through internal graphics from my MOBO. I put my GPU into my newer system, and it does the exact same thing. So I鈥檓聽assuming it鈥檚 a GPU issue. I put the newer PC鈥檚 GPU into the older system and it works just fine, so I assume the MOBO is good.聽I took apart the card to look for any signs of problems and find nothing, and聽applied new聽thermal paste since I was already聽in there. Now I don鈥檛 know what to do.

System specs for older PC:

CPU: Intel I7 6700k

GPU: MSI 1070 Aero OC 8gb

PSU: Silverstone SFX聽500W聽SX500-LG
MOBO: Gigabyte Z170N-Wifi

RAM: 16gb HyperX DDR4

System specs for newer PC:

CPU: Intel I7 9700k

GPU: GTX 970

PSU: Silverstone 750w

MOBO Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi

RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance

tl;dr

I cleaned PC, put components back together and found my old PSU had died. Put new PSU聽in and now my GPU fan spins at 100% and has no display output. Put GPU into newer system and same results. Internal graphics on both systems work fine. Different GPU on both systems work fine. RIP 1070?

I appreciate all input!

Were you working on carpet?

Did you disassemble the GPU?

What exact thing did you do to the GPU when you removed it?

Did you try dusting out the PCIE Slot itself?
What sort of "duster" did you use?聽 I hope not compressed air....

Try Deoxit D5 in the PCIE Slot after cleaning it with a Datavac or another electric duster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

Were you working on carpet?

Did you disassemble the GPU?

What exact thing did you do to the GPU when you removed it?

Did you try dusting out the PCIE Slot itself?
What sort of "duster" did you use?聽 I hope not compressed air....

Try Deoxit D5 in the PCIE Slot after cleaning it with a Datavac or another electric duster.

Thanks for the reply! My house has hardwood floor so not worried about static. When I removed the GPU I set it down on my desk until I was ready to clean. I did use compressed air can聽lightly and not excessively as the whole PC was not as dusty as expected. Yes I disassembled it down to the pcb, inspected and found nothing wrong. I will聽try cleaning out the slot, however a different card works聽on the same slots I鈥檝e tried the card in question. What are your thoughts on the compressed air?聽Thanks for the input!聽

Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently upgraded the CPU in my work computer, whenever a major change like that happens, my motherboard will do a few reboots. Max fan speeds for everything, reboot, max speeds, reboot...

Did the computer cycle at all when you did this? Also older PC, perhaps the CMOS battery died?聽

When you took it apart, did you label the cables and ports to make sure everything got plugged back into the exact same slots and ports?聽

Work Rigs -聽2012 15" MBP | 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X聽 |聽 ASUS X570-P Prime聽 | 聽32GB聽G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB | 聽ASUS聽GTX 1660 Super聽 |聽聽WD Black SN750 500GB聽NVMe聽 |聽 WD Blue 500GB SATA聽 |聽 Samsung 860 Evo 500GB聽SATA聽 |聽 Corsair TX650聽 |聽 Corsair 4000D聽聽|聽聽Dell S2721DGF聽 |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X聽 |聽 MSI B550 Tomahawk聽 | 聽32GB聽G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |聽 PowerColor Red Devil聽5700XT聽聽| Creative Sound Blaster Z聽 |聽聽WD Black SN850 500GB聽NVMe聽 |聽 WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe聽 |聽 WD Blue 1TB聽SATA SSD聽 |聽 Corsair RM850x聽 |聽 Corsair 4000D聽聽|聽聽LG 27GL650F-B聽 |

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

I recently upgraded the CPU in my work computer, whenever a major change like that happens, my motherboard will do a few reboots. Max fan speeds for everything, reboot, max speeds, reboot...

Did the computer cycle at all when you did this? Also older PC, perhaps the CMOS battery died?聽

When you took it apart, did you label the cables and ports to make sure everything got plugged back into the exact same slots and ports?聽

My PC did cycle like that as I described above. Threads I found pointed at a faulty PSU or other component. I swapped to a new PSU and the cycle stopped. I tried reseting the CMOS on the older PC but that didn鈥檛 work. The computer still runs fine with a GTX 970 in it. And I made sure everything was connected the way it was before. How did you resolve the cycle issue? Thanks for the input!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Xpal said:

Thanks for the reply! My house has hardwood floor so not worried about static. When I removed the GPU I set it down on my desk until I was ready to clean. I did use compressed air can聽lightly and not excessively as the whole PC was not as dusty as expected. Yes I disassembled it down to the pcb, inspected and found nothing wrong. I will聽try cleaning out the slot, however a different card works聽on the same slots I鈥檝e tried the card in question. What are your thoughts on the compressed air?聽Thanks for the input!聽

Compressed air is a HUGE mistake.聽 Never use that on computer components.

This may have caused your problem.聽 I heard of others killing components with it.聽 But I'm not a psychic so I have no idea if that is really what killed something.

Did you narrow it down to the card?聽 Maybe try disassembling the card again, double checking the paste, pads and making sure the screws aren't too tight?聽 I honestly don't know at this point.

Anyway,

Use this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U899HQ/

An alternative if you want to cheap out is this

https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Airrow-Multi-Use-Electric-Computer/dp/B00SI67YRU/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now