Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can you Deshroud in a Mid-Tower

I was looking into deshrouding my GPU, since I mine on it, and have to run the fans at 85%. I was hoping deshrouding will perform good enough to reduce my fan speeds, therefore noise. All the videos I see are for SFF builds. Is there a proper way to mount the fans in a mid-tower. Is the best solution simply zip-tying them to the GPU! Or is there a better way, or just not a practical option for midtowers.

6 hours ago, Zakk8 said:

I was looking into deshrouding my GPU, since I mine on it, and have to run the fans at 85%. I was hoping deshrouding will perform good enough to reduce my fan speeds, therefore noise. All the videos I see are for SFF builds. Is there a proper way to mount the fans in a mid-tower. Is the best solution simply zip-tying them to the GPU! Or is there a better way, or just not a practical option for midtowers.

what card? what case?

12 hours ago, narrdarr said:

what card? what case?

msi gaming x 3090, Corsair 275r airflow.

19 minutes ago, Zakk8 said:

msi gaming x 3090, Corsair 275r airflow.

you can make it work. i have do this on a few cards. zip ties work best. i normally use and prefer to use 120mm fans. but you can 90/92mm fans aswell. I don't wrap the zip ties around gpu so to say. more like just to the heatsink. your choice of the size of fans will depend on where you want the fans to be placed and where you can run your zip ties.

I haven't had a gpu that didn't get see an improvement in both cooling and noise. but you'll want to make sure that the fans are pressed up against the heatsink.

heres a pic of one of the current gpus i have done this on. gtx 1070 mini with 2x 120mm.  even though the second fan over hangs it wasn't a problem.

your also need a crj cable

use this if you only need to 2x fans

https://www.amazon.com/CRJ-Splitter-Adapter-Sleeved-Graphics/dp/B07T95C68T

use this one

https://www.amazon.com/CRJ-4-Pin-Adapter-Sleeved-Graphics/dp/B07Q5BTTDX

plus a fan hub

if you need 3x+ fans.

these cables allow you to connect standard case to the gpu. so the gpu can still control the fans.

OR

if you already have a corsiar commander pro. you can run the fans to it instead of to the gpu as it can monitor and adjust fan speed based on gpu temps.

i also recommend you to think about how you going to run you cables as they can be long. unless you don't care about how the systems look.

if you need more pics. i guess i can pull it out of the build and take some.

imagejpeg_4.jpg.28c2c40d299134b40cc5e68810ac5d2b.jpg

9 hours ago, narrdarr said:

you can make it work. i have do this on a few cards. zip ties work best. i normally use and prefer to use 120mm fans. but you can 90/92mm fans aswell. I don't wrap the zip ties around gpu so to say. more like just to the heatsink. your choice of the size of fans will depend on where you want the fans to be placed and where you can run your zip ties.

I haven't had a gpu that didn't get see an improvement in both cooling and noise. but you'll want to make sure that the fans are pressed up against the heatsink.

heres a pic of one of the current gpus i have done this on. gtx 1070 mini with 2x 120mm.  even though the second fan over hangs it wasn't a problem.

use this one

plus a fan hub

if you need 3x+ fans.

these cables allow you to connect standard case to the gpu. so the gpu can still control the fans.

OR

if you already have a corsiar commander pro. you can run the fans to it instead of to the gpu as it can monitor and adjust fan speed based on gpu temps.

i also recommend you to think about how you going to run you cables as they can be long. unless you don't care about how the systems look.

Thanks a lot. The msi gaming x have those fan bracket things In the way. Must the fans be flush against the heat sink. Or would the only option be breaking those little things? 

17 minutes ago, Zakk8 said:

Thanks a lot. The msi gaming x have those fan bracket things In the way. Must the fans be flush against the heat sink. Or would the only option be breaking those little things? 

you definitely want them as close as possible or a way to direct the air to and through the heatsink.

frozencpu.com has what's called radiator shrouds. they have them in different sizes. your maybe use to them depending on where the brackets are located.

if you have the time time deshroud and take pictures I maybe able can come up with other ideas so you don't have cut them off.

or you might luck out by off setting the fan alittle and as long as the tabs/bracket don't hit the fan blades your fine.

19 hours ago, narrdarr said:

use this one

plus a fan hub

if you need 3x+ fans.

OR

Do you zip tie them to the heat pipes or on top of the heat sink fins

5 hours ago, Zakk8 said:

Do you zip tie them to the heat pipes or on top of the heat sink fins

i go from fan mounting hole to fan mounting hole using the full surface area of the heatsink or mount to the pipe's.  

4 hours ago, narrdarr said:

i go from fan mounting hole to fan mounting hole using the full surface area of the heatsink or mount to the pipe's.  

Got it thanks. Do you think there would a huge difference, if the fans aren't flushly mounted (because of those fan bracket things.).If not, I was thinking if i could maybe 3d print a shroud/bracket at the library worse case.

32 minutes ago, Zakk8 said:

Got it thanks. Do you think there would a huge difference, if the fans aren't flushly mounted (because of those fan bracket things.).If not, I was thinking if i could maybe 3d print a shroud/bracket at the library worse case.

yes it will make a noticeable difference. having a gab will allow the air not to go through the heatsink especially since there is a solid directly behind the heatsink. this is way there is already a shroud and the fans are as close as possible. on a lower end card you may not notice a different , but on the mid to high end yea you'll notice it.

just a recap of options you have to do this:

1. cut them off.

i personally would do this, but it would never allow you to reattach the stock shroud and/or fans. which may its own problems down the line. ex: reselling the card or not happy with the way it looks

i don't know the placement of the brackets so...

2. buy a shoud. they'll lift the fans and keep a seal as long as the bracket doesn't interfere with shroud you should be good.

3. 3d print a shroud. you can custom shape shroud to work around the brackets.

4. offset the fans. even if the bracket taps sit inside the fan frame its fine as long as they don't hit the fan blades.

5. cut the the fan. depending on where the bracket/tabs interfere with the fan you maybe able to cut a notch(s) in the fan

if you haven't done a test fit to visualize the the best course of action i would suggest you do.