Slow internet connect on pc.

MightyM

So I've recently built a new pc and I noticed when I'm downloading anything for example, games on steam or windows updates etc.. the pc only uses around 2-5mbps of internet compared to what it pulls which is like 50mbps. so when downloading a game it'll take 5mbps and leave the update with a few kbps. On my router's device monitor and task manager it claims that the pc is using around 50mbps.

Is there a way to fix this?

The router and pc both use WIFI 6.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, MightyM said:

So I've recently built a new pc and I noticed when I'm downloading anything for example, games on steam or windows updates etc.. the pc only uses around 2-5mbps of internet compared to what it pulls which is like 50mbps. so when downloading a game it'll take 5mbps and leave the update with a few kbps. On my router's device monitor and task manager it claims that the pc is using around 50mbps.

Is there a way to fix this?

The router and pc both use WIFI 6.

Thanks.

1. What speeds are you paying for from your ISP?
  2. Can you confirm the units of speed measurement? I.e. is it Mbps or MBps?
  3. Never use Task Manager as the go-to for internet speed measurement. Use proper online tools like speedtest.net and dslreports.com.

So currently I'm on 100 Megabytes per second from isp. it will be increased in the coming weeks however, my problem is not with the internet speed rather that the pc pulls around 50-70 but I only get around 5 megabytes when trying to download something. The rest of the devices connected to the router then slow down due to the pc drawing so much. I don't understand how it can be pulling 50Mbps yet only downloading the files at a speed of 5Mbps

7 hours ago, MightyM said:

So currently I'm on 100 Megabytes per second from isp. it will be increased in the coming weeks however, my problem is not with the internet speed rather that the pc pulls around 50-70 but I only get around 5 megabytes when trying to download something. The rest of the devices connected to the router then slow down due to the pc drawing so much. I don't understand how it can be pulling 50Mbps yet only downloading the files at a speed of 5Mbps

OK. You need to verify something here just so we're on the same page to avoid confusion.

ISPs sell internet packages with speeds advertised in bps (bits per second), but Windows/apps reports file transfers in Bps (bytes per second). 8 bits = 1 byte. So if you truly have an 100MBps (that's megabytes per second!), are you saying that your ISP tier is 800Mbps (that's megabits per second!)?

Programs like Steam will report the speed of game downloads in MBps (megabytes per second). On a 100Mbps connection, that would correspond to 12.4MBps. A little less than this is fine.

Some other questions for you to answer:

1. What is the make/model of your router and ISP device?
  2. Are you connected over an ethernet or wireless connection to the router?
  3. Can you run speed tests (please use speedtest.net and dslreports.com) while directly wired into the router/ISP device and compare to what you see on WiFi? Make sure that your computer is the only device accessing the network at the time of the tests and no background programs are downloading/uploading (e.g. game managers, video streaming services, BitTorrent, cloud sync software, etc.).
  4. If you're using WiFi, please run a wireless survey using WiFi Analyzer (free on the MS store) and post the channel output from the Analyze page for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.