First professional review of Intel's Rocket Lake (11700K) is out.. and it's a disaster

MainImage219_678x452.jpg

121878.png

Performance gains range from mediocre to non-existent, and in the worst cases it's actually slower than Skylake, overall it's still slower vs the 5800X despite consuming significantly more power.

Interestingly it also has higher core-to-core latency and a worse performing L3 cache compared to Skylake.

The official launch date for these processors, and full reviews, is March 30th. We are currently under NDA with Intel for the information that has been provided by Intel, and will publish that information in due course. However, as noted in a number of press outlets, some units have already been sold at retail before that sales date. Units obtained by that method are not under NDA by definition, and we obtained the Core i7-11700K for this review at retail, and as such we are not under NDA for any information we have obtained through using this processor.

Before publishing this review, we gave Intel advance notice to respond to us having a full review ahead of the formal release. Our email seemingly generated some excitement inside (and to our surprise, outside) Intel, but we received a response from Intel stating that they had no comment to offer.

It's impressively bad, I'm at a loss for words.

Source

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16535/intel-core-i7-11700k-review-blasting-off-with-rocket-lake

Dell S2721DGF - RTX 3070 XC3 - i5 12600K

Wasn't there a similar story posted

I remember reading that the RAM timing or something isn't quite right on these chips, might be the reason for the disappointing results?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Wasn't there a similar story posted

I remember reading that the VRAM timing or something isn't quite right on these chips, might be the reason for the disappointing results?

Que? I am leaning towards architectural issues. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Well, rockets do get quite hot...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

15 minutes ago, Levent said:

Que? I am leaning towards architectural issues. 

Ah it was a members review

Though this is the non-K

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I think this generation was supposed to just be a stop gap for Alder Lake. Even then, this chip is still really bad compared to Zen 3.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

This conclusion is in its own way brutal.

Our results clearly show that Intel’s performance, while substantial, still trails its main competitor, AMD. In a core-for-core comparison, Intel is slightly slower and a lot more inefficient. The smart money would be to get the AMD processor. However, due to high demand and prioritizing commercial and enterprise contracts, the only parts readily available on retail shelves right now are from Intel. Any user looking to buy or build a PC today has to dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge their way to find one for sale, and also hope that it is not at a vastly inflated price. The less stressful solution would be to buy Intel, and use Intel’s latest platform in Rocket Lake.

It's very close to saying that if it weren't for shortages there would be no reason to buy this at all.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Having followed the link and looked through a good chunk of the benchmarks results there. The OP is overstating how bad it is. Yes the power efficiency is horrible, but that aside it looks to deliver exactly what everyone expected, high single to low double digit percentage uplifts in IPC on the same number of cores compared to previous intel offerings. Is it still painfully bad compared to AMD? Largely yes, but my gut reaction without pulling up old reviews is that it's nowhere near as bad as the lead Intel had over AMD during Zen 1 and Zen+. So overall solid if priced competitively, but i doubt it is, (i don't recall what the official prices where and i was focused on benchmarks whilst skimming through the article). Still i think one this reaches 10nm we can expect some solid products as the power use comes down and the core count goes up.

35 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

121878.png

No further comment necessary. 

One that's even better... With margin of error.... The 10700k competes with...the 5600x..

image.thumb.png.2857100463a6f025b5d11569bc7fb7f9.png

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Looks like the architecture doesn't really do well at all when back ported to 14nm. Must be really annoying to be an Intel engineer who can only do so much with the 14nm process, I can just imagine how hamstrung they must feel. 

This is a disappointing result, really a shame

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

this is sad.

and i exicted to see how intel would respond.

just imagine this with the 11700k@140w

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Now I wonder how the i9 will fare, oof.

Pizza is the best food group

Yikes I'm glad I just went ahead and bought the i9 when it went on sale for $250 last week. This is a complete joke the only thing that will save Intel now is make them dirt cheap (doubtful) and no stock from AMD (not as much of a problem anymore). Basically they are screwed. 

What if they sell these for half the price of the 5800X

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

7 minutes ago, williamcll said:

What if they sell these for half the price of the 5800X

Let's be honest, Intel would never sell a K series i7 for $225.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

Intel seems to be bullish on Alder Lake coming later this year/early next year. This has me concerned. 

Their insistence on bringing over big.LITTLE has me even more concerned with stability and scheduling issues on the OS side. I hope they make SKUs with only big cores or the ability to disable the little cores. 

6 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Ah it was a members review

I doubt there will actually be much to gain, slight issues aside or not. Once the microcode goes GA retail and accompanying bios things are pretty much as is with Intel. ES and QS samples can sometimes present with high performance in certain tests but have certain errors that get picked up and fixed which result in performance regression, accuracy over speed etc. That's why ES/QS chips on ebay are so appealing but also slightly risky, this is more a Xeon buyers market but yea could end up with something that's not fully happy with say ESXi when CPU transitions power states or something dumb like that. 

What we're seeing is what we're getting basically, and it appears that the architectural changes are the result of some of the not so great results. Cache latencies have changed between layers and sizes, good for some things not so good for others.

Looking closer at the estimated structural latencies between the two cores designs on a clock cycle access time basis, we’re seeing similar changes that Intel in the past had disclosed about the Sunny Cove microarchitecture. The L1D regresses from 4 cycles to 5 cycles with its 50% capacity increase to 48KB, the L2 regresses 1 cycle from 12 to 13 cycles as it doubles in capacity, while the L3 surprisingly enough sees a larger estimated 7.5 cycle regression.

Bigger isn't always better, as bigger is slower.

I read through the entire review. If that leaked pricing of $485.99 (good god, I really hope it's a bit lower) ends up being true, and what we're seeing here extends to the 11600K and 11900K, yeah, I would skip this generation entirely.

Sure, we knew that RKL-S would be the "stopgap" generation, but from the results, it really looks like the best option for people who really want/need a new CPU right now (especially if they are changing/upgrading platforms or building a new system entirely) and don't want/can't have Ryzen 5000 for whatever reason, then 10th-gen Comet Lake-S at their discounted prices are just too good of a deal to pass up unless you explicitly need AVX-512 or PCIe 4.0 on an Intel platform.

The rest of us might just want to wait and see how Alder Lake stacks up. Man, I hope it's good...

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-5800X-16-Thread-Processor/dp/B0815XFSGK/

The 11700K is even worse considering that the 5800X has been in stock for a few days straight.