How to move Windows to another motherboard

WhoIsSEV7N

Hey y'all

I am going to be replacing my motherboard since the one I built my pc with has a defective ethernet chip. 

I bought an activation key for this build, but now since I have to change the motherboard, I'm wondering how I can go about using the key I have for the new install of Windows that I will be using once I replace my motherboard.

Any help is appreciated, thanks so much

Depends but if you link it to your microsoft account (it's already done if you sign in with your microsoft email) then it generally moves without issue. If it's same board to same board it might not even complain. In my experience the worst I've had to do is call Microsoft and of those times 99% of the time the automatic reactivation system solves it right away.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Depends but if you link it to your microsoft account (it's already done if you sign in with your microsoft email) then it generally moves without issue. If it's same board to same board it might not even complain. In my experience the worst I've had to do is call Microsoft and of those times 99% of the time the automatic reactivation system solves it right away.

Unfortunately since I wasn't able to connect to the internet I couldn't like my microsoft account, I also am switching to a different motherboard (MSI B450 A Pro Max -> MSI B450 Tomahawk Max)

Just now, WhoIsSEV7N said:

Unfortunately since I wasn't able to connect to the internet I couldn't like my microsoft account, I also am switching to a different motherboard (MSI B450 A Pro Max -> MSI B450 Tomahawk Max)

Did you sign in after installing?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Did you sign in after installing?

No I couldn't. The mobo I have doesn't have wifi and the ethernet chip doesn't work. Couldn't connect to the internet at all unfortunately

2 minutes ago, WhoIsSEV7N said:

No I couldn't. The mobo I have doesn't have wifi and the ethernet chip doesn't work. Couldn't connect to the internet at all unfortunately

Ah, ok, if you never connected then it shouldn't have activated to begin with in that it wouldn't have registered with the microsoft servers so you should be fine to reuse the original key you got without issue. Like I said I've done dozens of builds and those that did have issues were resolved with the automated system, I've had to talk to a person one time and that went smooth too, just said it's for 1 system (which was true) and something died and they gave a new key right away.

Edit:

Meant to say just swap the board and the key should keep working just fine after it does get online and checks in.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Ah, ok, if you never connected then it shouldn't have activated to begin with in that it wouldn't have registered with the microsoft servers so you should be fine to reuse the original key you got without issue. Like I said I've done dozens of builds and those that did have issues were resolved with the automated system, I've had to talk to a person one time and that went smooth too, just said it's for 1 system (which was true) and something died and they gave a new key right away.

Okay great. Worst comes to worst i'll just speak to someone from microsoft. Thank you for your help!

Just now, WhoIsSEV7N said:

Okay great. Worst comes to worst i'll just speak to someone from microsoft. Thank you for your help!

Yah, best of luck and let me know how it turns out 🙂

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Yah, best of luck and let me know how it turns out 🙂

Absolutely!