Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

is the gtx 690 still a good gpu

so im going to get a gtx 690 and i was wondering if its still a good gpu for playing minecraft and gtx 5 not that demanding gaming im not going to be playing cyberpunk 2077 or somthing

Link to post
Share on other sites

How much are you getting it for? 

 

Its not great these days, and something like a 970 would be much better if you can get it for a simmilar price. Those are pretty old, and need dual gpu support for good perofmrance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

SLI and only 2GB VRAM per GPU. It's a cool novelty card, but I wouldn't recommend it for gaming.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x || GPU: RTX 3080 Founders Edition || Memory: 48GB Corsair 3000mhz DDR4 (22GB PrimoCache) || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G810 || Mouse: Logitech G502 || PSU: EVGA 750-watt Gold
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll likely only get the performance of a 680 in most games, which is equal to a potato nowadays

My PCs: Desky | Beddie | Miney | Benchie

Things I need help with: (nothing at the moment)

Spoiler

none atm

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer: shit tier quality products, shit tier customer service thus far, they "tried" to solve my issue but they arent really doing anything but delaying and delaying. (on-going case since July)

Gigabyte: horrible customer service (gigabyte had literally 0 customer service, asked me to go to retailer with NO WAY to email them about a question) but at least they fixed my shit in ONE MONTH (would probably take me 1 hour to fix if they let me email them)

XiaoMi Phones: built like a tank but the software is buggy as all hell

Seagate HDD: had too many dead seagate drives

Kingston SSD: 300V controller swap thingy

Razer (except their mouse)

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How much are you getting it for? 

 

Its not great these days, and something like a 970 would be much better if you can get it for a simmilar price. Those are pretty old, and need dual gpu support for good perofmrance.

gtx 970 are going for around 200 euros rn and im getting the 690 for 100 euros

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't call it good. It needs SLI support to perform as marketed and even then, 2GB VRAM limit will be hit all the time. No software optimization either, just "it runs why fix it" level of support. Better than no GPU I suppose.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

Can't call it good. It needs SLI support to perform as marketed and even then, 2GB VRAM limit will be hit all the time. No software optimization either, just "it runs why fix it" level of support. Better than no GPU I suppose.

i have vega 8 graphics rn and i cant even use them for some reason because my mobo says no so im using a gtx 285 rn

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kes2006 said:

i have vega 8 graphics rn and i cant even use them for some reason because my mobo says no so im using a gtx 285 rn

I'd rather use the Vega. Why isn't it working? Tell us more about your hardware configuration and what you're planning on doing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Benji said:

I'd rather use the Vega. Why isn't it working? Tell us more about your hardware configuration and what you're planning on doing.

the gtx 690 is WAY better then the vega 8 igpu and idk it didnt work sinds i upgraded my mobo that isnt supported with my cpu

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kes2006 said:

the gtx 690 is WAY better then the vega 8 igpu and idk it didnt work sinds i upgraded my mobo that isnt supported with my cpu

I, for example, watch YouTube videos or modern videos in general. They're HEVC and VP9. The 600 Series doesn't support either video codec. I'd take the Vega 8 (which supports both up to 4K60) all day and invest in a proper graphics later on. The 690 is a really bad compromise as you've already been told. Besides acting as a furnace it doesn't do much on modern games. Is it "way better" in terms of raw performance? Yes. Is it "way better" in terms of feature support? Hell no. The graphics card market right now is screwed and buying one is a really bad idea. The new ones are either not available or obscenely priced, older still desirable ones are hardly available, and if they're available, also at a horrible price.

 

1 minute ago, kes2006 said:

mobo that isnt supported with my cpu

If the CPU weren't supported on the motherboard you wouldn't even get it to post. From every cheap A320 to the highest-end X570 board you can use APUs and their iGPUs. I'd like to know the exact issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Benji said:

I, for example, watch YouTube videos or modern videos in general. They're HEVC and VP9. The 600 Series doesn't support either video codec. I'd take the Vega 8 (which supports both up to 4K60) all day and invest in a proper graphics later on. The 690 is a really bad compromise as you've already been told. Besides acting as a furnace it doesn't do much on modern games. Is it "way better" in terms of raw performance? Yes. Is it "way better" in terms of feature support? Hell no. The graphics card market right now is screwed and buying one is a really bad idea. The new ones are either not available or obscenely priced, older still desirable ones are hardly available, and if they're available, also at a horrible price.

 

If the CPU weren't supported on the motherboard you wouldn't even get it to post. From every cheap A320 to the highest-end X570 board you can use APUs and their iGPUs. I'd like to know the exact issue.

so i got a b550 gaming x v2 from gigabyte and 16gb of corsair vengance lpx and i dont know ive resetted the bios and it didnt do anything so and i just want to play some games at better fps im planning on getting a 1070 or 1080 when the prices go dont and i dont care about those encode things i just want to play minecraft with shaders

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kes2006 said:

so i got a b550 gaming x v2 from gigabyte and 16gb of corsair vengance lpx and i dont know ive resetted the bios and it didnt do anything so 

What's your CPU?

Cool tech tip inside:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

elephants
#MuricaParrotGang

 

NO REFUNDS ON LOST TIME

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

What's your CPU?

r3 3200g

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, that is definitely supported by newer motherboards. What happens when you take out the 285 and connect the monitor to the iGPU? dGPUs usually make the motherboard auto-disable the iGPU.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Benji said:

Yup, that is definitely supported by newer motherboards. What happens when you take out the 285 and connect the monitor to the iGPU? dGPUs usually make the motherboard auto-disable the iGPU.

it doesnt show anything ive allready tried that

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kes2006 said:

it doesnt show anything ive allready tried that

Yeah, and I've re-looked at the motherboard's compatibility list. That APU isn't even listed, only 4000 series APUs (4350G, 4650G and 4750G). Nothing before Zen 2 is supported and this CPU in general shouldn't work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Benji said:

Yeah, and I've re-looked at the motherboard's compatibility list. That APU isn't even listed, only 4000 series APUs (4650G). Nothing before Zen 2 is supported and this CPU in general shouldn't work.

i know it says it  on the box im supprised it even works

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kes2006 said:

i know it says it  on the box im supprised it even works

That's odd, I assumed you also ran a different CPU. The lowest-end CPU that is apparently supported is the Zen 2 Ryzen 3 3100. The 3200G is a Zen+ part because the APUs are/were (new ones weren't introduced as of yet IIRC) always one number higher than their regular CPU counterparts, and according to their support page it shouldn't be supported at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Benji said:

That's odd, I assumed you also ran a different CPU. The lowest-end CPU that is apparently supported is the Zen 2 Ryzen 3 3100. The 3200G is a Zen+ part because the APUs are/were (new ones weren't introduced as of yet IIRC) always one number higher than their regular CPU counterparts, and according to their support page it shouldn't b e supported at all.

i dont have a diffrent ryzen cpu i just put this and and it worked fine

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Benji said:

That's odd, I assumed you also ran a different CPU. The lowest-end CPU that is apparently supported is the Zen 2 Ryzen 3 3100. The 3200G is a Zen+ part because the APUs are/were (new ones weren't introduced as of yet IIRC) always one number higher than their regular CPU counterparts, and according to their support page it shouldn't be supported at all.

Here’s proof that is it working

BF97F25B-0CFC-4F48-883A-B18A5C308021.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everybody basically already told you the merits of the 690 (not much) in your thread a couple days ago where you were looking for a backplate for one. You would be much better off to just get a 680 since the 690 will perform identically to it 90% of the time. The GTX 770 is also basically the same card as a 680. 

Main PC | Ryzen 5 5600X - ASRock X570 PG Velocita - RX 6800 Reference - 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz - 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe

Folding/Plex PC | Ryzen 7 3700X - Asus X370 Crosshair VI Extreme - Asus Strix RTX 2080 + Asus Strix RTX 2070 - 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2400mhz - Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD, 2x 3TB HDD

Emulation PC | Ryzen 5 3400G - ASRock A300 DeskMini - 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666mhz SO-DIMM - Samsung 840 500GB SSD

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Everybody basically already told you the merits of the 690 (not much) in your thread a couple days ago where you were looking for a backplate for one. You would be much better off to just get a 680 since the 690 will perform identically to it 90% of the time. The GTX 770 is also basically the same card as a 680. 

My plan was to buy a gtx 690 and its not changing 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kes2006 said:

My plan was to buy a gtx 690 and its not changing 

 

Then why even bother asking for opinions? 

 

"Hey guys I'm gonna waste money on this crappy white elephant card, do you think that's a good idea? I'm still gonna do it no matter what you say btw." 

Main PC | Ryzen 5 5600X - ASRock X570 PG Velocita - RX 6800 Reference - 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz - 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe

Folding/Plex PC | Ryzen 7 3700X - Asus X370 Crosshair VI Extreme - Asus Strix RTX 2080 + Asus Strix RTX 2070 - 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2400mhz - Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD, 2x 3TB HDD

Emulation PC | Ryzen 5 3400G - ASRock A300 DeskMini - 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666mhz SO-DIMM - Samsung 840 500GB SSD

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Middcore said:

 

Then why even bother asking for opinions? 

 

"Hey guys I'm gonna waste money on this crappy white elephant card, do you think that's a good idea? I'm still gonna do it no matter what you say btw." 

Im not asking for opinions I’m asking if it’s still good i dont have time for discussions so bye

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kes2006 said:

i dont have time for discussions so bye

 

Wasted plenty of other people's time though! 

Main PC | Ryzen 5 5600X - ASRock X570 PG Velocita - RX 6800 Reference - 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz - 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe

Folding/Plex PC | Ryzen 7 3700X - Asus X370 Crosshair VI Extreme - Asus Strix RTX 2080 + Asus Strix RTX 2070 - 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2400mhz - Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD, 2x 3TB HDD

Emulation PC | Ryzen 5 3400G - ASRock A300 DeskMini - 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666mhz SO-DIMM - Samsung 840 500GB SSD

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×