My brand new PC doesn't boot after shutdown

CR055_

Hi there

I've just built a new PC for myself, finally. I have quite a lot of experience building PCs, as i built many PCs for my friends, family members, etc. I had other problems before with those builds and I managed to solve them all. This time, it's different.

I'm running the following gear:

- I9 10980XE
- Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G
- (Temp) 1x 16GB 3200 CL16 Kingston HyperX borrowed from my brother's PC

- (Temp) GTX 1060, waiting for 3080Ti or 3090s to get to the "normal price"

- EVGA 850GQ

- Aorus Cooler 360

Here's the deal, I had a problem prior to this one. The PC would shut down normally but after (from 30 seconds to 5 minutes) would boot up again. Updated to the latest BIOS, didn't solve it and crashed every time I turned on XMP Profile1 (this MoBo has 2 profiles, which profile 2 OCs the ram to 3600MHz. I didn't activate this setting at all). Frustrated, i rolled back to F1 (original) BIOS. PC still booted randomly. Turned out to be a problem with the dual Ethernet ports, I disabled the option that allowed the port to wake up the PC and boom, problem solved. 

Things were looking great. I also study from home, so the PC was always on, 12h a day easily. The thing is, every night i turn off the power to all the electronics in my room using smart plugs, so the "new" problem didn't appear till one day i decided to turn the PC off while i was away. When i returned after 1 hour, the pc wouldn't want to boot. Here is a video of the problem recorded by me: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5-Qm_7-j0

Video explanation: I turn on the PC, FIRST time it tries to boot, stays ~2 minutes "booting" and doing the normal checking with the codes and stuff. Fast forward a bit and the PC turns OFF and ON by itself till i manually cut the power. After that, tries to boot again, around 2~3 times (may differ every time) and it resets the BIOS to its factory settings then the PC is able to boot.

The thing is that i don't understand why, I switched PSUs with my brother to an ASUS 850w and it caused the same problem.

If there are any details missing, just comment and i'll provide any detail is needed.

Thank you for reading!

This is a common thing I've noticed with Gigabyte motherboards. If you try to boot with settings (especially memory settings) it doesn't like, it will attempt to reboot multiple times until it has success (eventually reverting to default). On a cold boot, different settings from your BIOS are applied at different times, with some settings depending on others. On my Ryzen systems I've had a notoriously difficult time getting my system to boot on it's own when pushing memory beyond 3000-3200mhz (depending on the system). This is likely a bug in the memory training process. However, there's a fix that's worked for me across the board. Boot the system up, wait a second (literally 1 second), and push the restart button. This refreshes the system and essentially makes it behave as if it were a warm boot, rather than a cold boot.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

3 hours ago, BigDamn said:

This is a common thing I've noticed with Gigabyte motherboards. If you try to boot with settings (especially memory settings) it doesn't like, it will attempt to reboot multiple times until it has success (eventually reverting to default). On a cold boot, different settings from your BIOS are applied at different times, with some settings depending on others. On my Ryzen systems I've had a notoriously difficult time getting my system to boot on it's own when pushing memory beyond 3000-3200mhz (depending on the system). This is likely a bug in the memory training process. However, there's a fix that's worked for me across the board. Boot the system up, wait a second (literally 1 second), and push the restart button. This refreshes the system and essentially makes it behave as if it were a warm boot, rather than a cold boot.

Hi BigDamn, the problem is that the LianLi O11 Dynamic Razer edition doesn't have any reset switch so i am not able to perform the warm boot that you are mentioning. Plus, that would not solve the problem that I have because it would still not boot "normally", I still have to do more steps to the boot process.

Thanks for the answer! 🙂

3 minutes ago, CR055_ said:

Hi BigDamn, the problem is that the LianLi O11 Dynamic Razer edition doesn't have any reset switch so i am not able to perform the warm boot that you are mentioning. Plus, that would not solve the problem that I have because it would still not boot "normally", I still have to do more steps to the boot process.

Thanks for the answer! 🙂

I'm aware it's not ideal, but performing this to verify my theory will help you reach a resolution. You can touch a screwdriver (or anything metal) to the positive and negative posts where you would typically attach the reset button connector and perform a restart that way. For testing, I would recommend using this method on the power button also to verify that you're doing it correctly. Again, I know it's not ideal, but it's a simple and safe way to test if this an issue with your configuration.

And for the record, I've been hitting the restart button immediately after I power on my PC for over two years now. With my memory at 3200mhz I don't have to, but at 3600mhz I do. Gotta do what it takes to get that mhz 🙂

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

On 3/5/2021 at 7:24 PM, BigDamn said:

I'm aware it's not ideal, but performing this to verify my theory will help you reach a resolution. You can touch a screwdriver (or anything metal) to the positive and negative posts where you would typically attach the reset button connector and perform a restart that way. For testing, I would recommend using this method on the power button also to verify that you're doing it correctly. Again, I know it's not ideal, but it's a simple and safe way to test if this an issue with your configuration.

And for the record, I've been hitting the restart button immediately after I power on my PC for over two years now. With my memory at 3200mhz I don't have to, but at 3600mhz I do. Gotta do what it takes to get that mhz 🙂

Managed to find a reset button on the board, still same issue...