Broken PIN USB 3.2 Gen 1 header

Hey everyone

I bought a ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING and yesterday I was plugging the USB 3.2 Gen 1 module, I don't know how, but it wasn't plugged correctly and when I removed the module from the header, the pin was broken...

So I don't know if the port will work with that pin broken, do you know? Or is there anymore port to plug it?

The broken pin is the one that is circled.

Thank you

Have a nice day

Captura de ecrã 2021-03-05 093322.png

The left column of pins is one usb port, the right column of pins is another usb port. 

Worst case scenario, one of the ports on your case won't work, but most likely that pin was never going to anything in the first place. 

If you pay attention to the header, you can see that the pins for one port (the ones on the right) are shifted up by one compared to the pins on the left. 

That's done on purpose, in order to make the top left corner pin a key  - the plug/jack you insert into the header has that pin hole filled with some material so that you won't be able to insert the plug the wrong way into the header. 

So, that bottom right corner pin should not be connected to anything, each column of pins has the two GND pins the ports need in the middle. 

24 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The left column of pins is one usb port, the right column of pins is another usb port. 

Worst case scenario, one of the ports on your case won't work, but most likely that pin was never going to anything in the first place. 

If you pay attention to the header, you can see that the pins for one port (the ones on the right) are shifted up by one compared to the pins on the left. 

That's done on purpose, in order to make the top left corner pin a key  - the plug/jack you insert into the header has that pin hole filled with some material so that you won't be able to insert the plug the wrong way into the header. 

So, that bottom right corner pin should not be connected to anything, each column of pins has the two GND pins the ports need in the middle. 

That bottom right pin is a GND so it should be connected, otherwise it wouldn't need the hole to connect, am I wrong?
Thank you for your time.

I know how you destroyed it. You connected the plug the opposite way. Try connecting it the right way and test if it works ok, even though it got one less ground pin. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

7 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

I know how you destroyed it. You connected the plug the opposite way. Try connecting it the right way and test if it works ok, even though it got one less ground pin. 

No, I connected on the right way but I don't know how it didn't "entered the hole", when I took it off the pin was a little bent and when I tried to put it in the right position it just broke.

I can't test it because I am still waiting for my CPU so I don´t know if it will work or not.

Like I said... that bottom ground pin is OPTIONAL.  It may not be connected to anything.

There's 9 wires going to one port, and 9 wires going to the other port ... do you think they'd bother making one cable with 9 wires and the other with 10 wires?  No, that extra pin is either not connected to anything or connected directly to one of the other GND pins inside the plug that goes into the header. 

Some motherboards label it as ID  - basically the motherboard checks if there's a connection between that GND pin and the other GND pins inside the plug and that's how motherboard detects that a cable was inserted into the header.  Some HP systems do this. 

A lot of cases don't connect that pin to anything. 

RED is USB port 1,  green is USB port 2  - it's upside down compared to your picture.  The pins in BLUE stuff rectangle arealso more or less optional, it's only used for usb 2.0 devices. USB 3.0 devices only use the other pins , the ones with SS (short for super speed) are used for usb 3.0 speeds.

So you only need Vbus (+5v) , GND (return path for the 5v), and the two data pairs of wires for usb 3.0 ... 6 wires.  And there's the 2 data wires and ground for the usb 2.0 that increase the number of wires to 9 in total. 

image.png.72c79b4771d724b632a902a584efed5a.png

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

Like I said... that bottom ground pin is OPTIONAL.  It may not be connected to anything.

There's 9 wires going to one port, and 9 wires going to the other port ... do you think they'd bother making one cable with 9 wires and the other with 10 wires?  No, that extra pin is either not connected to anything or connected directly to one of the other GND pins inside the plug that goes into the header. 

Some motherboards label it as ID  - basically the motherboard checks if there's a connection between that GND pin and the other GND pins inside the plug and that's how motherboard detects that a cable was inserted into the header.  Some HP systems do this. 

A lot of cases don't connect that pin to anything. 

RED is USB port 1,  green is USB port 2  - it's upside down compared to your picture.  The pins in BLUE stuff rectangle arealso more or less optional, it's only used for usb 2.0 devices. USB 3.0 devices only use the other pins , the ones with SS (short for super speed) are used for usb 3.0 speeds.

So you only need Vbus (+5v) , GND (return path for the 5v), and the two data pairs of wires for usb 3.0 ... 6 wires.  And there's the 2 data wires and ground for the usb 2.0 that increase the number of wires to 9 in total. 

image.png.72c79b4771d724b632a902a584efed5a.png

Guess I will have to wait for my CPU to check if it works.

Thank you for your answer!