Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ways to help reduce dust settling

To start off with, I use a Thermaltake H200 TG Snow, which comes with dust filters on ALL intakes, except the PCIE brackets which have holes in, but that wouldn't affect dust on my CPU with a GPU and gravity between them. I have had it for a couple of months (built x-mas 2020), and has heavy use, from say 8am-7pm on weekdays and 10am to 7-11pm on weekend/friday, and off at ight (at the plug because of lights, but I shutdown beforehand). Is there anyway I can easily do to help reduce settled dust (like it is thick on the fans). I was thinking of adding fans, so that dust doesn't settle on top because fans would push up, and the GPU would suck less air from the PCIE bracket.

Thanks in advance

(also how best should I clean out magnetic filters, I am planning on doing a good clean once every 3 months)

Quote me for an answer, and to help track conversations

PC: tuf b450m plus gaming, ryzen 5 3600, 1650 OC (gigabyte windforce), corsair vengeance 16gb @ 3200mhz

you will never get your system entirely dust-free, the best way to keep dust buildup as low as possible is to regularly clean your intake filters (clean in the sense of 'shake the dust out', dont use water on them), and honestly.. just make sure there's little dust in the room, that's the best thing you can do.

If your environment has a lot of dust there is little you can do about dust collecting except cleaning it more often. If you place additional fans inside of the case you actually introduce more dust in your system then before. Try raising your system (if you place your pc on the carpet it a lot worse) and also try cleaning your room more.

Ok, I don't think there is lots of dust in my room, it is on a shelf so not on carpet, I will just give it a clean once in a while. and also clean the underside of the chelf it is under (I kept room for airflow).

PC: tuf b450m plus gaming, ryzen 5 3600, 1650 OC (gigabyte windforce), corsair vengeance 16gb @ 3200mhz

1 hour ago, TazerXI said:

To start off with, I use a Thermaltake H200 TG Snow, which comes with dust filters on ALL intakes, except the PCIE brackets which have holes in, but that wouldn't affect dust on my CPU with a GPU and gravity between them. I have had it for a couple of months (built x-mas 2020), and has heavy use, from say 8am-7pm on weekdays and 10am to 7-11pm on weekend/friday, and off at ight (at the plug because of lights, but I shutdown beforehand). Is there anyway I can easily do to help reduce settled dust (like it is thick on the fans). I was thinking of adding fans, so that dust doesn't settle on top because fans would push up, and the GPU would suck less air from the PCIE bracket.

Thanks in advance

(also how best should I clean out magnetic filters, I am planning on doing a good clean once every 3 months)

How often to clean your filters depends on the environment you live in. I usually do it once a month and a full system clean every 6 months or so. If you live in a rural area or somewhere sandy, you may need to clean them more often, like once a week. As for the fans, make sure to have equal amount of air coming in as getting out. If you are worried about those holes, get some electrical tape and tape them shut. You can also put a blanket during the night to prevent dust from coming in the top. Usually it is enough to just have the right amount of fans and some weekly maintenance to keep the pc clean. 

33 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

How often to clean your filters depends on the environment you live in. I usually do it once a month and a full system clean every 6 months or so. If you live in a rural area or somewhere sandy, you may need to clean them more often, like once a week. As for the fans, make sure to have equal amount of air coming in as getting out. If you are worried about those holes, get some electrical tape and tape them shut. You can also put a blanket during the night to prevent dust from coming in the top. Usually it is enough to just have the right amount of fans and some weekly maintenance to keep the pc clean. 

Ok thanks. I don't live in a rural area. I just have the fan (outake) that comes with the case which should be fine.

9 hours ago, TazerXI said:

Thanks in advance

Dust is everywhere unless you live in a clean room with a hefty air filtration system (and no, some mesh filters are not enough). As soon as a) air fromt the outside is in the room b) something mechanical is moving around while touching something else c) a human (or animal) is in the room there will be dust. No matter how often you vacuum or use a Swiffer on the surfaces in your room, dust WILL be in the air.

To keep your PC clean there's no other option as to put dust filters in front of every single intake and having a case that is not too open (like glass side panels with a gap). Cleaning interval depends on how dusty the air is - watch the filters of your system. Cleaning the filters more often than necessary is better than not often enough. If you can see some deposits in the filter, it will restrict airflow - starting from almost unnoticeable and growing to significant to severe levels.

Even in an hermetically sealed room the sole fact that there are fans moving there'd be a little bit of dust inside.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

9 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

Dust is everywhere unless you live in a clean room with a hefty air filtration system (and no, some mesh filters are not enough). As soon as a) air fromt the outside is in the room b) something mechanical is moving around while touching something else c) a human (or animal) is in the room there will be dust. No matter how often you vacuum or use a Swiffer on the surfaces in your room, dust WILL be in the air.

To keep your PC clean there's no other option as to put dust filters in front of every single intake and having a case that is not too open (like glass side panels with a gap). Cleaning interval depends on how dusty the air is - watch the filters of your system. Cleaning the filters more often than necessary is better than not often enough. If you can see some deposits in the filter, it will restrict airflow - starting from almost unnoticeable and growing to significant to severe levels.

Even in an hermetically sealed room the sole fact that there are fans moving there'd be a little bit of dust inside.

I don't (think, or assumed anyway) that my room will be dust free. I don't have any intakes (other than passive ones), and other than the back outtake they all have fan filters (the front one is non removable from what I can tell). I don't want to go as far as zero dust, just keeping it minimal, ad if the amount is normal. I might get some cotton buds (q-tips) to help clean some of it out

11 minutes ago, TazerXI said:

I don't (think, or assumed anyway) that my room will be dust free. I don't have any intakes (other than passive ones), and other than the back outtake they all have fan filters (the front one is non removable from what I can tell). I don't want to go as far as zero dust, just keeping it minimal, ad if the amount is normal. I might get some cotton buds (q-tips) to help clean some of it out

You should have intake fans. That would significantly reduce air being sucked in through cracks and openings that are unfiltered.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

Just now, bowrilla said:

You should have intake fans. That would significantly reduce air being sucked in through cracks and openings that are unfiltered.

I said that (ish, it was what I was suggesting) "I was thinking of adding fans, so that dust doesn't settle on top because fans would push up, and the GPU would suck less air from the PCIE bracket.", but someone said that would increase dust.

If you have negative pressure you'll suck in air through every crack and opening. Air will mostly go the path of least resistance ... obviously not through the filters then. If you have neutral or positive pressure you will not suck in air through the cracks anymore and all (or almost all) air enters through the intake fanse that you can filter.