Dell Precision T5500 motherboard boot help

MiahOhMiah

First time posting so any help is appreciated! I'm bodging together a pc with a Dell precision t5500 motherboard, 980ti, xeon x5680, and 16gb of ecc registered memory. Everything is detected, and I have a functional hard drive with windows 10 already installed detected. Raid is enabled (as per the default bios settings) and my boot order has sata first. When I turn on the pc, it shows me this screen. When I push the f1 key, nothing happens. When I push it 16 times, the motherboard beeps with every key I press. I'm not sure what these errors are at all! 

PXL_20210305_023207898.jpg

seems to be a miscabling issue...did you disconnected the front panel connectors or any other cables from your motherboard?

4 minutes ago, BloodKnight7 said:

seems to be a miscabling issue...did you disconnected the front panel connectors or any other cables from your motherboard?

I have no front panel connectors plugged in right now, I'm just using turning on the psu to start the system for now. I don't have an original case for the system so I'm still trying to figure out which pins are which for front panel stuff

19 minutes ago, MiahOhMiah said:

I have no front panel connectors plugged in right now, I'm just using turning on the psu to start the system for now. I don't have an original case for the system so I'm still trying to figure out which pins are which for front panel stuff

You are working with a workstation board (I know, I have several of these Precision Txxxx lines) and they are expecting the fans and other connectors, or they will not boot.

There is no way around this as far as I know.

You do have all the proper connectors...yes? And if memory serves, the pins are not standard (welcome to proprietary systems)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

You are working with a workstation board (I know, I have several of these Precision Txxxx lines) and they are expecting the fans and other connectors, or they will not boot.

There is no way around this as far as I know.

You do have all the proper connectors...yes? And if memory serves, the pins are not standard (welcome to proprietary systems)

So should I guess and check which pins? Would that cause the board to die if I guess wrong? 

Just now, MiahOhMiah said:

So should I guess and check which pins? Would that cause the board to die if I guess wrong? 

Yeah don't guess on that sort of stuff, you can certainly fry things.

Grab the technical manual for the mobo, it should list that stuff, or better yet, hit up eBay and buy the dell T5500 fans/front panel connector parts. They shouldn't be all that expensive.

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/common/precision-t5500_setup guide_en-us.pdf

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

19 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yeah don't guess on that sort of stuff, you can certainly fry things.

Grab the technical manual for the mobo, it should list that stuff, or better yet, hit up eBay and buy the dell T5500 fans/front panel connector parts. They shouldn't be all that expensive.

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/common/precision-t5500_setup guide_en-us.pdf

Thank you! 

Yes.. if you go to support.dell.com and use your service tag then go to the documentation section you will find the owner's manual. Its the best place to get the documents and latest firmware/drivers available for your system.

With a machine like that you'll have to have the front panel connected, and it's going to complain about those missing fans until you connect them. That's why these types of boards aren't well suited for thrown together machines. Once they're out of the case they have strange behavior. 

For example: the Dell Dimension 2400 uses the same motherboard as the Dell OptiPlex 160L. When the front panel isn't connected to the motherboard (and you just short pins to turn it on), the Dimension 2400 motherboard will POST and indicate that it is an OptiPlex 160L. I've also seen this behavior with a Dell Vostro system. Without the front panel connected it indicated that it was some OptiPlex (I forget the particular model) instead of a Vostro. 

20 hours ago, MiahOhMiah said:

Absolutely not. It's never a great idea to do that on a board you can't easily get a pinout for, and even then it's still going to complain. It needs the front panel. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2