The Case of the Missing Folder

XeroDante
Go to solution Solved by Arokan,

The first thing that comes to mind is where onedrive has played a trick on you and synchronised your desktop without you noticing. That can f-up things a bit, happened to me before. Look in your user-folder for a second "Dekstop"-Folder. Also if it hasn't, it should have. "No Backup, No Mercy" as they say, and I recently had to learn that the hard way.

Now assuming you're not running an SSD with TRIM, you could try a data recovery software. Just don't save it on your C:-Drive, grab a USB-Stick and you're good to go. In any way, if you have enough storage available, make a backup of your partition. That always helps, as you can mount it instead of writing to your drive and then see what's possible.

Full search on windows is practically useless in my experience, so I wouldn't rely on that, but it might also be possible, that I've not made clear, what I'm after.

I'd consider the restoration to a previous point the last resort. Also, windows claims that it doesn't affect personal data.

Good luck and all the best!

Today was a day like any other, I woke up, went through my morning routine and sat down to check my email. I had left my pc running overnight but only to listen to music, so no other applications were running. When I looked at my desktop, I was surprised to see that the majority of my icons had been moved to my second monitor, aside from a few random shortcuts. This was odd, as my pc had not restarted or been scheduled for an update, but I brushed it off and moved the icons back, continuing my day.

About an hour ago, I went to open up a project from FL Studio, only to receive a warning that files were missing from the project and could not be located. I was confused, but both of the files were from the same folder which was on my desktop. When I checked for the folder, it was missing, and when I did a full search of my pc, the only results were shortcuts to the file from months ago that failed when I tried to use them. I looked in my Recycling bin, but it hadn't been emptied and the folder also wasn't there. Does anyone have any advice on next steps or things I can do?

TL/DR: My desktop icons were moved while I was asleep, and a folder has disappeared off of my computer without a trace.

Check OS logs, might be something there...

If you want to recover the folder it is, most likely, impossible regardless of what happened. If it is not on ssd you might try deleted file recovery software, but it is unlikely to work.

there is possible solution.

start your pc in recovery mode 

then go to advanced options and find system restore then click on it and see the date of recovery point and the affected files if no required or important file is affected restore your system

this should restore your system to that date restore point's date.

i hope this works.

p.s: this action cannot be reverted so make sure no important file is affected as it cannot be recovered.

The first thing that comes to mind is where onedrive has played a trick on you and synchronised your desktop without you noticing. That can f-up things a bit, happened to me before. Look in your user-folder for a second "Dekstop"-Folder. Also if it hasn't, it should have. "No Backup, No Mercy" as they say, and I recently had to learn that the hard way.

Now assuming you're not running an SSD with TRIM, you could try a data recovery software. Just don't save it on your C:-Drive, grab a USB-Stick and you're good to go. In any way, if you have enough storage available, make a backup of your partition. That always helps, as you can mount it instead of writing to your drive and then see what's possible.

Full search on windows is practically useless in my experience, so I wouldn't rely on that, but it might also be possible, that I've not made clear, what I'm after.

I'd consider the restoration to a previous point the last resort. Also, windows claims that it doesn't affect personal data.

Good luck and all the best!