What Original Xbox Game Should I Get First?

WaggishOhio383

Which game should I get?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which game should I get?

• Forza Motorsport
    • Halo Combat Evolved
    • Halo 2
    • Project Gotham Racing 2
    • SEGA GT 2002 + Jet Set Radio Future
    • Other (reply with your recommendation)

I recently got an original Xbox, and I'm trying to decide what game I should get for it first. I picked it up at a thrift store for $10 tested and working, with the caveat that the disk drive has issues reading games. I'm fairly confident I can fix that, but in order to know if the disk drive is working, I'll need a game to play on the console. I have a few games I'm interested in trying, but I can't decide which one I want first. I've included them as options in a poll on this post. I'm also open to other recommendations, as long as I can get the game off Ebay for a reasonable price (preferrably $20 or less). Let me know what game you would recommend and why!

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Pretty cool, but if I'm not mistaken the original XBOX you can emulate on PC. So I don't see it necessary to buy the games on ebay.

Also as an alternative to using the PC, I'm pretty certain you can find free ISOs and burn them to disk and play them on the XBOX. that should save you some coin also.

It depends on what genres you like however my fave game on the OG Xbox is Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.

Quite honestly, swap out the HDD for a 120GB IDE and softmod the thing. It will require the optical drive be working and you'll need a copy of Splinter Cell 1, 007 Agent Under Fire, Mech Assault or THPS4 on disc to perform it but you'll not regret it. A hacked OG XB is a thing of beauty.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Pretty cool, but if I'm not mistaken the original XBOX you can emulate on PC. So I don't see it necessary to buy the games on ebay.

Also as an alternative to using the PC, I'm pretty certain you can find free ISOs and burn them to disk and play them on the XBOX. that should save you some coin also.

Not if I want to play the games legally. And original Xbox emulation on PC isn't that far along just yet. I also believe you have to softmod the console to get it to read burned disks, but I could be wrong.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

free ISOs and burn them to disk

But all of them wouldn't be open source so any digital version is ilegal

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

But all of them wouldn't be open source so any digital version is ilegal

https://archive.org/details/HaloCEPC

https://nicerom.com/game-rom/halo-combat-evolved-usa-xbox-iso/

https://gamepciso.com/halo-combat-evolved-download-free/

The copy rights where up a while ago. 

Would be no different than emulating Atari games from the 80s.

Can you get 2? Bc I'd say Forza and Halo ce.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

A hacked OG XB is a thing of beauty.

What specific advantages are there to softmodding the console? I'm not really interested in playing pirated games. I'm more in this from a collector's standpoint. I like having the physical copy of the game with the original cover art, manual, etc.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Can you get 2? Bc I'd say Forza and Halo ce.

I'll definitely get more games down the line. I just don't want to buy more than one game until I confirm I can get the disk drive working properly.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Just now, WaggishOhio383 said:

What specific advantages are there to softmodding the console? I'm not really interested in playing illegally obtained games. I'm more in this from a collector's standpoint. I like having the physical copy of the game with the original cover art, manual, etc.

It's not illegal lol.. 

If it where XBOX ONE X games, well then maybe a different story.

This platform is almost 20 years old now.....

It's not illegal lol.. 

That doesn't make it any less of a legal gray area that probably shouldn't be discussed on the forum per the community standards.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

1 minute ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

What specific advantages are there to softmodding the console? I'm not really interested in playing illegally obtained games. I'm more in this from a collector's standpoint. I like having the physical copy of the game with the original cover art, manual, etc.

Aside from the "no need to buy games" thing you can also transfer your owned games to the HDD and play them discless, there's emulators for pretty much every system up the the PS1 & N64 (including RetroArch), you can get media players, file browsers, the homebrew scene is still churning out amazing ports of old titles etc etc. The list just goes on and on.

The OG XB is arguably the best system to hack you can get, the amount of stuff that's available for it is crazy.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

That doesn't make it any less of a legal gray area that probably shouldn't be discussed on the forum per the community standards.

That depends if it's a standard rule which sometimes with a bit of tip toe, and no stupid remarks on my behalf, we should be ok.

I'm not telling you this information and presenting on a public site from other public sites, which if so illegal would not be in operation offering ISOs on games 20 years old.

That said, you have the information. Use as you will. 

P.S. 

You can also emulate the original XBOX on android.....

Be well!

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Aside from the "no need to buy games" thing you can also transfer your owned games to the HDD and play them discless, there's emulators for pretty much every system up the the PS1 & N64 (including RetroArch), you can get media players, file browsers, the homebrew scene is still churning out amazing ports of old titles etc etc. The list just goes on and on.

The OG XB is arguably the best system to hack you can get, the amount of stuff that's available for it is crazy.

Good to know. I'll definitely look into it once I get the disk drive working properly!

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

5 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

It's not illegal lol.. 

[Citation Required]

The NES is almost 40 years old and Nintendo still forced multiple sites to remove ALL Nintendo system ROMS.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

[Citation Required]

The NES is almost 40 years old and Nintendo still forced multiple sites to remove ALL Nintendo system ROMS.

Links?

Links?

I know emuparadise was one of the big sites that got threatened with a takedown. They removed their entire rom section and focus on solely offering resources for emulators themselves now.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Then why was I just able to Google "Mario Bros 1 NES rom" and download it?

Same for SMB2, SMB3, Kirby, Zelda, Zelda II, etc.

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

Forcing multiple sites does not equal forcing all sites in existence

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Just now, WaggishOhio383 said:

I know emuparadise was one of the big sites that got threatened with a takedown. They removed their entire rom section and focus on solely offering resources for emulators themselves now.

This discussion is why all games are digital purchase these days.

You cannot prove that back in 1983 I had already purchased games for atari. But since the platform was discarded for failure, the games as well.... cannot prove if I did or did not purchase a game decades ago. 

Like mentioned, it's a bit of a grey area. But you don't hear about people getting sued all the time for emulating games. Nobody can prove that you did not purchase X game in 2000 and 3.

I'd prefer if we stop going down the piracy tangent as I'd love for this thread not to get locked. I'm just trying to get some recommendations for original Xbox games to add to my collection. Because I'm a collector who likes owning physical copies of games, even if I could theoretically obtain them otherwise.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

3 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Its impossible to remove something from the internet entirely.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Its impossible to remove something from the internet entirely.

There were 7 websites that all had it.

elephants

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Right on. I went to CoolRom site and you are correct.

So that would mean Nintendo renewed the copy rights for those games. 

I suppose to research if the games for original XBOX have renewed copy rights would be a wise idea.

Edit: 

And thank you.