Steam Icons for all shortcuts are missing after Windows 10 Reset

RinTheHuman
Go to solution Solved by RinTheHuman,
39 minutes ago, DigitalGoat said:

Try right-clicking one of the icons and associate it with Edge, I had this issue after uninstalling IE, which is what the icons are normally associated with (they are an URL type), it is possible the latest install media for Windows removes IE now in favour of Edge. Think I remember hearing somewhere MS would do that.

omg so i was trying to figure out some way to do what you said and i ended up going into Add or Remove programs and Clicked on Microsoft Edge and pressed modify. Not sure what it did but suddenly all my Icon Corrected themselves and if i add new shortcuts they are all correct. Thanks for the help !

This is really been bothering me

So the other day i reset my Windows 10 but without deleting personal files. When the reset finished i noticed all the icons on my desktop were blank and assumed they would restore when i reinstalled everything.  when i downloaded steam back i found all the games on my 2tb hard drive were still there and only my C drive games got cleared. so i added the 2tb hard drives library folder to steam and all my games were now seen as installed on steam.

I noticed all the icons on my desktop were still blank so i deleted the icons and right clicked the game in steam and created a new shortcut but they were still blank.

I did replace some icons by finding them in the folder but i realised they are still blank in the start menu and if i look at the shortcuts properties its still blank and it felt like a cheap solution that didnt properly fix it. also some icons in the game folder were slightly different from the actual old shortcut icon so kinda annoying.

i then looked up a bunch of stuff and tried rebuilding icon cache, verifying games files integrity, doing some stuff in command prompt like sfc scan but none fixed the issue.

I then decided  to just reinstall all the games even if it would takes ages but after attempting to reinstall one of the games i realised the new game shortcut icon is also blank :\ 

also all the icons seem to be looking in system32 and the shell32.dll file rather than steam idk why.

I really hope someone could help me pls this is so annoying lol.

52 minutes ago, RinTheHuman said:

This is really been bothering me

So the other day i reset my Windows 10 but without deleting personal files. When the reset finished i noticed all the icons on my desktop were blank and assumed they would restore when i reinstalled everything.  when i downloaded steam back i found all the games on my 2tb hard drive were still there and only my C drive games got cleared. so i added the 2tb hard drives library folder to steam and all my games were now seen as installed on steam.

I noticed all the icons on my desktop were still blank so i deleted the icons and right clicked the game in steam and created a new shortcut but they were still blank.

I did replace some icons by finding them in the folder but i realised they are still blank in the start menu and if i look at the shortcuts properties its still blank and it felt like a cheap solution that didnt properly fix it. also some icons in the game folder were slightly different from the actual old shortcut icon so kinda annoying.

i then looked up a bunch of stuff and tried rebuilding icon cache, verifying games files integrity, doing some stuff in command prompt like sfc scan but none fixed the issue.

I then decided  to just reinstall all the games even if it would takes ages but after attempting to reinstall one of the games i realised the new game shortcut icon is also blank 😕

also all the icons seem to be looking in system32 and the shell32.dll file rather than steam idk why.

I really hope someone could help me pls this is so annoying lol.

Try right-clicking one of the icons and associate it with Edge, I had this issue after uninstalling IE, which is what the icons are normally associated with (they are an URL type), it is possible the latest install media for Windows removes IE now in favour of Edge. Think I remember hearing somewhere MS would do that.

13 minutes ago, DigitalGoat said:

But how do you 'associate' a program with edge? (and shouldn't it be associated with steam?) 

Btw I have a similar issue where the icons are missing in 'apps and programs' for some games, but not on the desktop or steam itself, is that a similar issue / solution? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

34 minutes ago, DigitalGoat said:

not sure how i would go about associating it with edge though

39 minutes ago, DigitalGoat said:

omg so i was trying to figure out some way to do what you said and i ended up going into Add or Remove programs and Clicked on Microsoft Edge and pressed modify. Not sure what it did but suddenly all my Icon Corrected themselves and if i add new shortcuts they are all correct. Thanks for the help !

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

But how do you 'associate' a program with edge? (and shouldn't it be associated with steam?) 

Btw I have a similar issue where the icons are missing in 'apps and programs' for some games, but not on the desktop or steam itself, is that a similar issue / solution? 

Glad it is sorted OP.

As to how to associate with Edge, just right-click and Open With, then choose Edge.

Steam icons are actually URLs, Steam uses a HTML system to determine where a game is and which game an icon opens and the URLs are normally associated with IE as their MIME type. If IE is removed, then until Steam update their app, you need to associate with Edge to see the icon according to the URL descriptor in the icons properties..