Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro not loud enough

finster2702
Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,
3 minutes ago, finster2702 said:

Ah I see I'm using the bus powered ones so maybe I'm missing out on the extra 50 ohms. If I plug the device into a USB3.0 port will that give them more power?

I'm not actually sure now what they mean, I'm not familiar with the device so I had to look it up. When that FAQ says "mains power" that means the wall. Like, using a normal wall power cable. Looking at the back of a Scarlet 2i2, it doesn't have a normal power plug. Maybe they sell a USB wall adapter that gives it enough juice? 

I recently got a set of 990 Pro's 250oms. and my audio interface (focusrite 2i2 gen 3) doesn't seem to be giving them enough power. 

13 minutes ago, finster2702 said:

I recently got a set of 990 Pro's 250oms. and my audio interface (focusrite 2i2 gen 3) doesn't seem to be giving them enough power. 

Thats strange, i own these and use 80ohm and they are more than loud enough, your 2i2 should be ok unless its faulty, try plug your 990s into your motherboard and see if there is a difference if not then there could be something wrong with your 2i2.

Seems to suggest 250 ohms is the max you'd want to have for a wall powered 2i2 (200 ohms if you're using the interface over bus power). Might just not be as loud as you prefer and you'll have to either look into a different set of headphones or an amplifier. 

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/210708269-What-impedance-headphones-should-I-use-with-my-audio-interface-

11 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Seems to suggest 250 ohms is the max you'd want to have for a wall powered 2i2 (200 ohms if you're using the interface over bus power). Might just not be as loud as you prefer and you'll have to either look into a different set of headphones or an amplifier. 

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/210708269-What-impedance-headphones-should-I-use-with-my-audio-interface-

Ah I see I'm using the bus powered ones so maybe I'm missing out on the extra 50 ohms. If I plug the device into a USB3.0 port will that give them more power?

1 minute ago, finster2702 said:

You can try that but I'm not sure if USB version can make a difference. I mean, I have the Fiio K5 Pro and am using the regular USB2 I think, the motherboard is from 2014 and shit can get extremely loud.

But then again, my shitty E10K is powerfull enough to power my DT880 250ohm. So not sure what's going on there.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

3 minutes ago, finster2702 said:

I'm not actually sure now what they mean, I'm not familiar with the device so I had to look it up. When that FAQ says "mains power" that means the wall. Like, using a normal wall power cable. Looking at the back of a Scarlet 2i2, it doesn't have a normal power plug. Maybe they sell a USB wall adapter that gives it enough juice? 

7 minutes ago, rickeo said:

It came with a usb c to normal usb cable no ac power or wall adapter.

There is no power limitation with high impedance headphones. Providing more power to the interface will do nothing at all.

Just turn the Windows/Mac/Linux volume control up to maximum. If it's still not loud enough, you will damage either your hearing or you should try it on another computer. And make sure it runs in 24 bit mode, not 16 bit.

The focusrite shouldn't struggle with 990s.
Most likely a software setting. 
Check windows settings, check drivers etc.

2 hours ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

The focusrite shouldn't struggle with 990s.
Most likely a software setting. 
Check windows settings, check drivers etc.

What type of windows settings are you talking about?