These are totally different. Let me explain. (SPONSORED)

JonoT

Cool stuff, but the background music was incredibly distracting.

24 minutes ago, JonoT said:

KIOXIA

Didn't know they make SSDs for enterprise.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Random question, does anybody know what the piano background music at 6:02 on the video is, I've heard it on loads of videos and searched for ages but cannot find it to save my life

6 minutes ago, Benji said:

Didn't Toshiba have enterprise storage solutions?

I don't know if Toshiba had SSDs for Enterprise,but i do know they have hard drives for enterprise - which are still owned by TOSHIBA and sold under it's name.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

3 hours ago, JonoT said:

~~SNIP~~

9:10

" okay then, what does all this mean for me the average consumer"

Ha! nice one.

No really.. I giggled.

😛

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I'm curious if that "thousand drive" scenario would just be a bunch of JBOD enclosures connected together with a crazy spaghetti of expander cables? But then it begs the question is there even a practical purpose for having that many drives connected to a single server - at those bottle-necked speeds - besides just having multiple petabytes of capacity. For redundancy I would want to split those out onto smaller/faster multiple servers and deploy online mirror servers as backup.

Maybe if I had "every single movie ever made" in 4K I could make the argument for a 8PB HTPC box that spits out it's contents at approx 60MB/s to watch on my single TV. But then I would also need the worlds biggest battery next to my house as a UPS :old-tongue:

What even is the point of SAS when .2 and SATA ports exist?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

12 hours ago, Benji said:

In that case we'd be at USB 6 or 7 or something already given the fact that 3.2 Gen 1x1, Gen 2x1 and Gen 2x2 are just different revisions of the same standard and thus don't require a new version step. The naming became ad absurdum, but adding a full version number for a speed bump every few months is ridiculous. So no, that's not necessarily how it's supposed to go, at least in my opinion.

I'm not saying it needs to be a full integer step everytime, but an increasing number to reflect newer versions is easily read and understood.

• 2 weeks later...

I've often been wondering, why are the PCI expansion cards that allow access to the disks individually so much more expensive that the ones that offer HW raid? I understand that these HBA controllers that offer a lot of sharing of capacity and crazy expansion with expander modules are pricey, buy if I just want a simple pass-through and don't care much about latency or speed, is there some option for that?

• 2 years later...

I'm having trouble to understand why you can't get ~6.9GB/s stated in their spec. It's not doing any raids, and it should be directly utilizing pice 4.0x4, how would it be bottlenecked by CPU as you stated in the video @~ 7:52.