Noob alert: PLEASE help me understand this mini dump and hopefully fix a year of crashes

kofman13

So ive been experiencing strange crash/reboots for maybe more than a year now. sometimes there would be no display on my monitors at boot 2-3 times in a row, id have to hard reboot. sometimes it would freeze during boot multiple times in a row until I get to desktop. and most often it would just freeze sometimes within the first 3 minutes of getting to desktop. sometimes if left alone. this happens on brand new hard drives with brand new windows as well, also with no peripherals plugged in. the problem has been getting worse over time, perhaps its windows updates causing it? or some other device updates? Being the noob that I am and just too busy with work projects and kind of making myself get used to the constant reboots, I didn't research it enough and didn't know you could read the crash logs so below you will find a mini dump right after a crash opened with BlueScreenView. What could be the issue here? I assume the top three ones highlighted in red are problem spots?

minidump.png

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

I'm thinking bad memory modules or driver problems, or other hardware. List your Specs. You can boot into Memtest. That will inform you about faulty RAM.

9 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I'm thinking bad memory modules or driver problems, or other hardware. List your Specs. You can boot into Memtest. That will inform you about faulty RAM.

But the top one is DirectX error or something. maybe GPU related? I have no idea though I will try memtest now. ill setup the flash drive. Here are my specs

Windows 10 latest

Latest Nvidia Game ready

i7 5820K (OC turned off)

Asus Strix gtx 1070 OC 8 GB

MSI X99 Gaming 7 S

16GB ram

3 internal SSDs

PCIe Asus AC56 internal wifi

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

3 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

But the top one is DirectX error or something. maybe GPU related? I have no idea though I will try memtest now. ill setup the flash drive. Here are my specs

Windows 10 latest

Latest Nvidia Game ready

i7 5820K (OC turned off)

Asus Strix gtx 1070 OC 8 GB

MSI X99 Gaming 7 S

16GB ram

3 internal SSDs

PCIe Asus AC56 internal WiFi

What Applications are you running?

6 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

What Applications are you running?

Apex legends for gaming.... Ableton live for audio production, davinci resolve for video. but these crashes happen sometimes while booting, before booting (no video on screen sometimes) and most usually right after booting when only Nvidia control panel appears and stream deck (happens with out stream deck also) when it happens it seems totally obvlivious to what software is running, it even happens first boot after installing fresh windows on spare drive.

im running memtest right now. someone on reddit said maybe my GPU isn't seated properly or PCIE port is dirty ill try cleaning after.

11 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

Apex legends for gaming.... Ableton live for audio production, davinci resolve for video. but these crashes happen sometimes while booting, before booting (no video on screen sometimes) and most usually right after booting when only Nvidia control panel appears and stream deck (happens with out stream deck also) when it happens it seems totally obvlivious to what software is running, it even happens first boot after installing fresh windows on spare drive.

im running memtest right now. someone on reddit said maybe my GPU isn't seated properly or PCIE port is dirty ill try cleaning after.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is maybe your CPU is overheating. Or your System is overheating.

Have you ever tried to do a totally fresh install of windows? 

Sounds like something might be severely messed up, also going by your other topics. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

Have you ever tried to do a totally fresh install of windows? 

Sounds like something might be severely messed up, also going by your other topics. 

yes problem persists even after fresh install on brand new hard drive

32 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

The only thing I can think of at the moment is maybe your CPU is overheating. Or your System is overheating.

CPU never goes above 40c under normal use, GPU never goes above 65c. mobo never goes above 65c

3 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

CPU never goes above 40c under normal use, GPU never goes above 65c. mobo never goes above 65c

Other hardware going bad? Or driver issues.

2 hours ago, whm1974 said:

So I ran memtest and while it didn't give errors, it locked up and froze at 1 hour and 1 minute 71% though the first test. the same lock up I always have sometimes during boot or use. ill run it again

5 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

So I ran memtest and while it didn't give errors, it locked up and froze at 1 hour and 1 minute 71% though the first test. the same lock up I always have sometimes during boot or use. ill run it again

Remove one pf the memory modules, then try. And do with each one.

2 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Remove one pf the memory modules, then try. And do with each one.

I just ran it again, took 2.5 hours to do 4 passes of the test, pass with no errors. next step tonight will be to take out my GPU, blow and clean and put back

1 minute ago, kofman13 said:

I just ran it again, took 2.5 hours to do 4 passes of the test, pass with no errors. next step tonight will be to take out my GPU, blow and clean and put back

So did you have a bad module then? Which one?

9 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

So did you have a bad module then? Which one?

sorry I wasn't clear. before taking it out I decided to try again with all 4 sticks in, but this time I unplugged any extra usb devices except mouse and keyboard (before you say anything, the original crashing issue also happens with no usb devices plugged in as well) and it past the test of 4 passes of test no errors

10 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

sorry I wasn't clear. before taking it out I decided to try again with all 4 sticks in, but this time I unplugged any extra usb devices except mouse and keyboard (before you say anything, the original crashing issue also happens with no usb devices plugged in as well) and it past the test of 4 passes of test no errors

So did you change anything else before hand?

10 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

So did you change anything else before hand?

I unplugged a hub ( ive tried that before ) before the second memtest

1 minute ago, kofman13 said:

I unplugged a hub ( ive tried that before ) before the second memtest

Strange, but don't modern computers have enough USB ports not require a User to use a USB Hub?

57 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Strange, but don't modern computers have enough USB ports not require a User to use a USB Hub?

good question. I have a hub with a KVM switcher on it. because I use my audio interface  and Elgato stream deck and mouse on two computers. my Mac for teaching my online classes, and pc for gaming and streaming and video editing. so I can switch them with a press of a button instead of crawling behind desk and unplugging and plugging 3 usb cables every time. its very convenient

ntoskerner is either RAM, but can also be drivers. Considering DirectX error is GPU related and nvlddmkm is specifically Nvidia drivers, you really should DDU and try with current driver, or perhaps one or two versions older version.

Also another way to test thing. Run with iGPU only. Since you get this on desktop too. So by logic, without GPU even installed, maybe with drivers removed, if this continues, then its not GPU. But all codes point to either hardware failure, or driver failure with newest drivers.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I had dx kernel issues recently due to a power supply. What psu do you have?

3 hours ago, Roguetrip said:

I had dx kernel issues recently due to a power supply. What psu do you have?

It could be so many things, but yes that's definitely one of them...

I kinda believe it could still be this USB hub, I had strange stuff with USB that took a week after not using the USB to 'magically' get fixed (is not my imagination either,  there was actually a physical effect , which only happened after using a certain USB device, so it's my only explanation)

On 3/5/2021 at 12:51 PM, LogicalDrm said:

Considering DirectX error is GPU related and nvlddmkm is specifically Nvidia drivers, you really should DDU

I mean yeah,  everything you said is worth trying, especially running igpu... these errors are really weird, remember I had similar issues a year ago with nvlddmkm, whea errors to be precise,  it's never been fixed either,  I'm fairly certain it's the motherboard tbh, but I don't get crashes, especially not on 1809 interestingly,  but everything higher is random BSOD galore,  especially when idling... really weird. 

Also this same issue apeared with a different motherboard regardless of win version,  so it's just really hard to pin point.

On 3/4/2021 at 10:17 PM, whm1974 said:

You would think so... I have 7 on my matx board.  And what I'm using is one for for kb/m each and one for DS4 controller, sometimes I plug in my phone or an external drive. 

I mean if someone needs more for whatever reason that's fine, but don't be surprised if it trips the PC more often, it's not really a primary function to supply power to who knows what kind of peripherals, if it works, great,  if not power the stuff externally, imo.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity