Looking for new phone

Zalosath

Hi there,

My contract for my Huawei Mate 20 Pro is about to expire after 2 years with the phone. It's a great phone but it's starting to show its age. I don't want another Huawei in case Google drops support for the app store. 

I've been looking at the Google Pixel 5, I've always wanted a Pixel but I'm not sure if I can justify downgrading my current phone? I would love to wait for the Pixel 6 but it's expected release date is toward the end of 2021 and my contract expires this month. 

I'm looking mostly for the 'larger' brands like Samsung and Google; definitely no iPhones though. 

It's more of a struggle as I'm looking for one that is supported by EE (UK) so I can share data with my family. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

Phone [ Google Pixel 8 Pro, 256GB, Snow ]

Just now, Benji said:

They haven't had app store support on actual new smartphones, especially flagships for over a year at this point, no new model has Google Play support. And those that did until last year were re-heated smartphones that were usually sold as a "New Edition" with maybe a little more storage or RAM but the same old chipset so that they didn't need to re-certify them (which would've made them lose the certification and thus the Google Play Services).

How do you use your phone? If you don't constantly play heavy, demanding games or run benchmarks all day long, the Pixel 5 will serve you very good.

Social media, I like to play some games that can probably run in a browser, pictures, that's mostly it.

My biggest worry is that the Pixel 5 is going to be slower than my current phone (which is a reason why I'm getting a new one in the first place). I like to have the 'convenience' features that most phones have nowadays like Face ID and in-screen fingerprint sensors. Not certain if I'll miss those features or not.

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

Phone [ Google Pixel 8 Pro, 256GB, Snow ]

Maybe take a look at this

Quote or tag me( @SEAL62 ) if you want me to see your reply

consider a reaction if I was funny, informative, helpful, or agreeable

CPU: Intel i9-9900K GPU: Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Master Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
AIO: Corsair H150i RGB Platinum RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3000MHz Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB PSU: Corsair RM750x White

HP Envy x360 Convertible

CPU: Intel i5-10210U GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX250 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2666 SSD: 512GB PCIe

29 minutes ago, Zalosath said:

Hi there,

My contract for my Huawei Mate 20 Pro is about to expire after 2 years with the phone. It's a great phone but it's starting to show its age. I don't want another Huawei in case Google drops support for the app store. 

I've been looking at the Google Pixel 5, I've always wanted a Pixel but I'm not sure if I can justify downgrading my current phone? I would love to wait for the Pixel 6 but it's expected release date is toward the end of 2021 and my contract expires this month. 

I'm looking mostly for the 'larger' brands like Samsung and Google; definitely no iPhones though. 

It's more of a struggle as I'm looking for one that is supported by EE (UK) so I can share data with my family. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I personally love my S20 FE. It is last gen but it still has Face Id and in screen fingerprint. Its a cheaper model and has a plastic not glass back but with a case there is no difference. It is also somewhat cheap because its a cut down version of the S20+