This is a long story of a simple build gone really Bad. Begging For HELP.

Hi guys, i`m Shane and i have a lot of problems with my build. This is a long story, full  of inexcpected twists and studded with frustation, written as a last effort before i LITERALLY BURN MY COMPONENTS IN MY BACKYARD.

It all started almost a year ago when on a the verge of a pandemic lockdown i decided to build my new PC..

here are the original specs:

Ryzen 5 3600 stock cooler

Sapphire Pulse RX580 8gb

2x8Gb of DDR4 Patriot viper steel 3200Mhz

Be quiet! system Power 9 700w PSU

B450 Aourus Elite rev1

Everithing bought from an italian online reseller (HW1.it) except for the GPU bought from amazon.it

When i first assembled all the components i noticed that my pc suffered from random reboots and it was almost unusable, the win10 logs reported a kernel power error, so not a good start..

i reinstalled the operating system multiple times and i also used a dual boot manjaro system for a while, tried disabling XMP but nothing changed..

So i rma my card (amazon client service is awesome) and i got my money back.

I bought an asus gtx 960 2gb cause i found it used at a really good and low price and installed it, the system now doesn`t crash but it was just the beginning.

Now the fun part, i noticed some minor problems, mouse scattering, and wifi connection issues.

The problem is that my wifi pcie card (ubit intel wifi 6 ax 200 with bluetooth) shows up and run but very slowly like 1mb/s dwnl and after some time it disconnects as if i removed it from the motherboard. Correct drivers are installed.

So i thought that the adapter could be the problem and i bought a usb wifi adapter, installed it and got almost 60mb dnwl and 10ms ping, everything ok right?

Well NO.

The adapter keeps connecting and disconnetting from the system (like every 5 sec) till it doesn`t reconnect at all.

Updated motherboard BIOS to F60ver with no changes.

The solution to this problem is to use my old HTC phone in usb wifi thetering mode which results in a stable, fast and reliable connection.

I tried the pcie wifi card and the usb adapter on one of my friends PC and there they work just fine.

So the mistery deepend....

As a last effort i bought an ASUS B450 PLUS Prime motherboard, swapped all the components and got the same stupid behavior from the wifi peripherals, i`m going to return this board to amzn in order to get my money back but i really don`t know what to try now..

I can`t Rma the original parts to HW1.it cause they shut down and i have to deal with every single manufacturers..

The only components i can try to swap remain the CPU, PSU and Memory.. I think i am going to try a new PSU to see if it`s an eletric supply related problem cause the only difference i see from my wifi adapters and the Phone is that the latter has an internal batterry that can supply short outtages or bad psu power.

I am literally begging for help, i need my pc for online University classes especially now that COVID is coming back strong here in italy.

Please help with suggestions, i would really need an Anthony now

A really frustrated and angry italian guy (but mostly frustrated).

Edited by Shane Pizza

Ok, grab a cold pizza from the fridge and put it in the oven.

First thing that comes into my mind is the PSU. You should have returned the PSU when you got that first kernel power error.

The instability of the wifi card could also mean that it's getting no power or that there are voltage spikes that make it turn on and off.

If you are experiencing poor performance in games it may be because your cpu/gpu is not getting enough power.

Also just to be sure have you tried a different outlet in your house? Preferably one in a room that has less power draw

And if it's not the PSU (and all signs point to that) then it's a bad mobo, but the PSU is easier to replace...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

And if it's not the PSU (and all signs point to that) then it's a bad mobo, but the PSU is easier to replace...

He swapped the mobo already.

So I'd say memory next (test with memtest) or CPU.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

He swapped the mobo already.

So I'd say memory next (test with memtest) or CPU.

Missed that. CPU then (assuming he didn't get a bum mobo) but all signs point to bad PSU.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Ok, sure the first thing that comes to mind is PSU - should just try another one, the next thing it really sounds like mobo, ryzen cpus are kinda finicky with that, I had similar issues with a alledgely *very good* msi board - switched it out to my *old* one and the issues where gone... 

But I didn't even update the bios of the new (bad) board which in hindsight is not really optional because those boards often come with very basic , buggy bios, so, did you update your bios? 

tldr: always update bios for a new ryzen board 

check psu 

doubt it's something else tbh 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Update the bios up to the latest versions which adds improvements for your generation of processors - don't bother to update bios only if that particular version adds ryzen 5xxx support,

Use memtest86 to test your ram sticks ... if there's issues run them at 2666 or 2933 or 3000 Mhz and run the test again. 

The motherboard may not like those particular sticks, but can handle them at lower frequencies

I'd recommend removing the wireless card and testing stability of the system without wireless card.  The slow speed is definitely a concern.

AX200 had bugs and firmware issues in the past ... for example see below

Maybe try updating the firmware and get the latest stuff from intel from here : https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/189347/Intel-Wi-Fi-6-AX200

Some AMD systems have issues with usb but it seems to be mostly tied to B550 chipset and pci-e 4.0 , so it shouldn't affect your computer/motherboard

See https://www.anandtech.com/show/16498/amd-usb-connectivity

Try maybe moving stuff to usb 2.0 ports to see if that makes any difference.

I'd also borrow a power supply to test the system on another power supply. I doubt it's the culprit, but it's not unheard of. 

Maybe also go in bios and disable that very low C states, power saving features, which could cause issues by not agreeing with the power supply. 

Regarding wifi issues - IMO just buy something like hAP lite, configure it as client/bridge, plug into ethernet port and you'll have stable and reliable connection without having to bother with anything on PC at all. Choose appropriately more expensive one if you need higher speeds.

I do this all the time when something non-mobile needs wifi. It is cheaper, more reliable and generally better than using usb of pci-e adapters.

Most of usb adapters are plain junk, they have bad antennas, tend to overheat when actively used, etc. May be that's what you are experiencing.

Internal/pci-e ones are generally better, but expensive and yours is seemingly having issues too.

Also did i understand it right and everything is working fine apart from wifi at this point?

56 minutes ago, Archer42 said:

Also did i understand it right and everything is working fine apart from wifi at this point

agreed, I'm not in the clear what exactly the issues even are at this point. if it's just wifi a usb dongle or something might fix it? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Albert F said:

Ok, grab a cold pizza from the fridge and put it in the oven.

First thing that comes into my mind is the PSU. You should have returned the PSU when you got that first kernel power error.

The instability of the wifi card could also mean that it's getting no power or that there are voltage spikes that make it turn on and off.

If you are experiencing poor performance in games it may be because your cpu/gpu is not getting enough power.

Also just to be sure have you tried a different outlet in your house? Preferably one in a room that has less power draw

First Thanks, Second only a fresh hot pizza is a real pizza here in the country of pizza 🙂 That`s a solid advice though.

I`ll order a new PSU from corsair and try that in the weekend. I`ve tried different power plugs but everyone from this room, still i don`t think that could be an issue cause the power line to this room has been completely remade 8yrs ago so it`s pratically new. If also this doesn`t help i think the next move is change the CPU. I`ll post as soon as i have updates!

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

Update the bios up to the latest versions which adds improvements for your generation of processors - don't bother to update bios only if that particular version adds ryzen 5xxx support,

Use memtest86 to test your ram sticks ... if there's issues run them at 2666 or 2933 or 3000 Mhz and run the test again. 

The motherboard may not like those particular sticks, but can handle them at lower frequencies

I'd recommend removing the wireless card and testing stability of the system without wireless card.  The slow speed is definitely a concern.

AX200 had bugs and firmware issues in the past ... for example see below

Maybe try updating the firmware and get the latest stuff from intel from here : https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/189347/Intel-Wi-Fi-6-AX200

Some AMD systems have issues with usb but it seems to be mostly tied to B550 chipset and pci-e 4.0 , so it shouldn't affect your computer/motherboard

See https://www.anandtech.com/show/16498/amd-usb-connectivity

Try maybe moving stuff to usb 2.0 ports to see if that makes any difference.

I'd also borrow a power supply to test the system on another power supply. I doubt it's the culprit, but it's not unheard of. 

Maybe also go in bios and disable that very low C states, power saving features, which could cause issues by not agreeing with the power supply. 

thanks for the reply, if i remember correctly i already tested my ram (on the gigabyte board), it is one of the first test i`ve tried almost a year ago and had no problems. Also i used it without XMP enabled for a long time with the same problems and at stock it runs at 2133Mhz. I was pointing towards the power supply cause when i changed the GPU the system stop crashing but also i`ve gone from 260W to 96W at full load (only from GPU) so it can be an helping factor for stability.

1 hour ago, Archer42 said:

Regarding wifi issues - IMO just buy something like hAP lite, configure it as client/bridge, plug into ethernet port and you'll have stable and reliable connection without having to bother with anything on PC at all. Choose appropriately more expensive one if you need higher speeds.

I do this all the time when something non-mobile needs wifi. It is cheaper, more reliable and generally better than using usb of pci-e adapters.

Most of usb adapters are plain junk, they have bad antennas, tend to overheat when actively used, etc. May be that's what you are experiencing.

Internal/pci-e ones are generally better, but expensive and yours is seemingly having issues too.

Also did i understand it right and everything is working fine apart from wifi at this point?

yes except the wifi problems and some mouse stutters, the crashing problems were resolved with the GPU Swap. For the record i have a spare router i can configure as a receiver for my pc but i wrote this post so i can fix my pc, not found a workaround. Still thanks for the answer.

25 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

agreed, I'm not in the clear what exactly the issues even are at this point. if it's just wifi a usb dongle or something might fix it? 

Man i said that was a long and strange story. you`ve been warned. 🙂

Anyway except the wifi (pcie and usb) problems and some mouse (that is usb) stutters i haven`t found any more problems. For now.

1 minute ago, Shane Pizza said:

yes except the wifi problems and some mouse stutters, the crashing problems were resolved with the GPU Swap. For the record i have a spare router i can configure as a receiver for my pc but i wrote this post so i can fix my pc, not found a workaround. Still thanks for the answer.

But if nothing is wrong, what you are trying to fix? You need to understand what the problem is before trying to fix it. Wifi issues do not justify replacing psu, motherboard or cpu.