Laptop screen going black, fans ramping up and then the laptop switches off after a few seconds.

PalTheMan

Hi,

So i recently bought a new legion 5i with an 10300h and gtx 1650. It was working well, i had overclocked the gpu with no issues, even the screen from 120hz to 135 hz. Performance was really nice too. Then suddenly one day I was playing Warframe on highest settings with a smooth 90 fps performance, and the laptop screen just went black, the fans ramped up really high and after a few seconds the laptop switched off. I was really scared as this is my first laptop and i had no experience of using laptops before.(Note, i hadnt changed any advance graphical setting or overclocked anything at that time, all the settings were factory made ones).

I first thought it was a power adapter issue, so i swapped it out with my brothers, but still the problem persisted... even though nothing happened to his laptop. this was happening randomly while playing games, sometime after just a minute or two, and other times i would have no problem for 45 mins to an hour... and then same again, boom... the screen goes black, fans rev upp really high and after a few seconds the laptop just shuts down, no warning screen nothing. As a final resort I reseted it, then did not game for a month and after that, overclocked my gpu(really stable overclock btw), changed the nvidia control panel settings to optimize games, but still the same problem exists..... now it just happens a bit later, probably like after and hour and half of gaming... now a month later, the problem is still there, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt... its really random..... I then thought it was cause of heat, but then i checked the temps qhile playing and they never went above 80 ever...

When i restart my pc, warframe always says they detected some kind of hardware failure..... and it is not just this one game... it happens with many others too(Destiny 2, Rage 2, Rogue nation...etc)

Im really tired now of this and just need a fix for it, i dont have the option of going to a service center right now... any at home solution will be greatly appreciated.... thanks

P.S(I even used ddu and uninstalled the graphics and reinstalled them... still the same.... pls help :(  ............ )

31 minutes ago, PalTheMan said:

i had overclocked the gpu with no issues, even the screen from 120hz to 135 hz.

You fried something....

Set everything back to factory default and hope no permanent damage was done

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

50 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

You fried something....

Set everything back to factory default and hope no permanent damage was done

U sure??...... cause the first time it happened i hadnt done anything at all to the cpu gpu or display

7 minutes ago, PalTheMan said:

U sure??...... cause the first time it happened i hadnt done anything at all to the cpu gpu or display

The first step in an y troubleshooting, is to reset everything back to default.

If the laptop is set back to default, XMP off, any OCing off, and it still occurs, then you have either bad hardware or an overheating issue (which will force a shutdown in many cases)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

29 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

The first step in an y troubleshooting, is to reset everything back to default.

If the laptop is set back to default, XMP off, any OCing off, and it still occurs, then you have either bad hardware or an overheating issue (which will force a shutdown in many cases)

Yeah i have resetted it many times, xmp off and all, still it happens sometime..... is it really not fixable...... do i have to live with it now............

9 minutes ago, PalTheMan said:

Yeah i have resetted it many times, xmp off and all, still it happens sometime..... is it really not fixable...... do i have to live with it now............

Well, again, leave OCing/XMP off. Return system to default.

Now, you have two choices if it's still doing this:

If it's under warranty, return it.

Further testing using Linux. By running a LiveUSB of Linux Mint (for example, it's very windows-like) and if the laptop exhibits the same problems, then it's hardware related. If, on the other hand, it behaves itself, then it's a badly corrupted Windows install.

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Well, again, leave OCing/XMP off. Return system to default.

Now, you have two choices if it's still doing this:

If it's under warranty, return it.

Further testing using Linux. By running a LiveUSB of Linux Mint (for example, it's very windows-like) and if the laptop exhibits the same problems, then it's hardware related. If, on the other hand, it behaves itself, then it's a badly corrupted Windows install.

Ok man thanks a lot..... ill try that and tell u what happens......Again, thanks a lot

6 minutes ago, PalTheMan said:

Ok man thanks a lot..... ill try that and tell u what happens......Again, thanks a lot

Certainly, keep me in the loop, we can always test further options

14 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Certainly, keep me in the loop, we can always test further options

So I turned of xmp, overclocking and reset the laptop, now the games crash even faster....... but as soon as i used the auto overclock in msi afterburner and overclocked the gpu, it now works really well and the crashes are veryy few...... like after 3 hours of gaming it might happen, sometime it is not even happening......Idk how to do the linux thing as im not that advanced in these kinds of things

Well your system shouldn't be crashing at all and I still suspect hardware failure of some kind. The LiveUSB of Linux Mint is super easy to install, Steam exists there as well. I can walk you through it if you want.

What are you using to monitor temps of the CPU and GPU?

Has the nature of the crashing changed any? Are you getting BSoDs?

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Well your system shouldn't be crashing at all and I still suspect hardware failure of some kind. The LiveUSB of Linux Mint is super easy to install, Steam exists there as well. I can walk you through it if you want.

What are you using to monitor temps of the CPU and GPU?

Has the nature of the crashing changed any? Are you getting BSoDs?

No there is no BSOD at all, the screen just goes complete black, and the fans starts spinning really fast, like at their fastest... and after like 30 sec the laptop just shuts down.. complete power off with no warnings nothing.......Also one more thing, i use a conservative mode in legion vantage app, which like doesnt let the battery charge above 60 percent and hence always keep my laptop plugged in while using, but whenever these crashes happen, the conservation mode automatically turns off the nest time i boot, and i have to manually start it again......

Also, about the software.. im using msi afterburner and i just checked after a gaming session that my gpu max temp was abt 75 where my cpu went as high as 92..... is that a problem and causing this shutdown?

3 hours ago, PalTheMan said:

Also, about the software.. im using msi afterburner and i just checked after a gaming session that my gpu max temp was abt 75 where my cpu went as high as 92..... is that a problem and causing this shutdown?

92 is pretty darned high, this being a laptop, you might be experiencing thermal issues.

Personally, I'd start with a fresh install of *only* windows and the bare minimum driverset, ditch MSI afterburner and that legion app, only install win10 (plus updates) Steam and drivers, see what happens.

yeah i just reseted it.... and tried playing and the same thing happened..... But i think i found some i

kind of workaround.... by using the automatic overclock part in msi and then setting the app to start on start up minimized sees to have solved the problem.......... I would also like to undervolt the cpu cos of the temps getting so high but there is absolutely no voltage control allowed in the xtu app.... ive watched some videos but i still cudnt do it...

Umm... hello?????...... @Radium_Angel ????