Good routers for a 500mbps plan?

untitledvoid

I am currently paying for a 500mbps package. I might change it to 1gbps. Are there any good routers out there under 200 Euros?

For LAN or Wireless?

For lan you can use any router that supports 1gbps. And that wont cost you 200.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Need more information. A single device with single download can easily get 500 Mbps or 1 Gbps over Ethernet through a router. But the problem raises once you have many clients doing many different things, then the router might start to bog down.

Cable only or do you need wireless features as well? Home or business use? How many clients, how are they connected? What extra features do you want - VPN, IDS/IPS, QoS etc? How well do you know networking, do you need easy setup or do you wanna tinker around yourself?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

For LAN or Wireless?

For lan you can use any router that supports 1gbps. And that wont cost you 200.

Honestly, wireless. I might go wired in the feature. Altough, I want high speed connections for 4K films and videos with wireless wifi.

1 hour ago, jj9987 said:

Need more information. A single device with single download can easily get 500 Mbps or 1 Gbps over Ethernet through a router. But the problem raises once you have many clients doing many different things, then the router might start to bog down.

Cable only or do you need wireless features as well? Home or business use? How many clients, how are they connected? What extra features do you want - VPN, IDS/IPS, QoS etc? How well do you know networking, do you need easy setup or do you wanna tinker around yourself?

Only one device will be wired. Home. Probaly 10+ devices. IDS/IPS would be nice. QoS is also something that i would like but not mandatory. Easy setup would be nice but if needed i could tinker around the settings.

If you wanna have that much speed on a wifi connection, try searching for a WIFI 6 or WIFI AX (most of the model names start or end with AX).

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=wifi+6+router&Order=1

The problem is most devices won't support this connection, mostly only newer phones / laptop (the last 2 years).

All other devices will be connected to a lower speed mode.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

If you wanna have that much speed on a wifi connection, try searching for a WIFI 6 or WIFI AX (most of the model names start or end with AX).

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=wifi+6+router&Order=1

The problem is most devices won't support this connection, mostly only newer phones / laptop (the last 2 years).

All other devices will be connected to a lower speed mode.

Will older devices get lower speeds than they would get without wifi 6? I plan on getting a WIFI 6 pcie card but if it lowers the speed on other devices I will definitely not buy one.

14 minutes ago, Void. said:

Will older devices get lower speeds than they would get without wifi 6? I plan on getting a WIFI 6 pcie card but if it lowers the speed on other devices I will definitely not buy one.

Older devices will use the protocol they support, don't worry they will work, just not at AX speed.

You only have 500mbps bandwidth to the internet, this will be shared to all of your devices.

So if a single PC use all 500mbps, this will make any other devices that is connecting at the same time slower.

You said you wanna stream 4k movies that can be 50mbps, so this allows you to play 10 movies at the same time in different devices.

If the pc is downloading at 300mbps, this leaves 200mbps available to other devices.

34 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Older devices will use the protocol they support, don't worry they will work, just not at AX speed.

You only have 500mbps bandwidth to the internet, this will be shared to all of your devices.

So if a single PC use all 500mbps, this will make any other devices that is connecting at the same time slower.

You said you wanna stream 4k movies that can be 50mbps, so this allows you to play 10 movies at the same time in different devices.

If the pc is downloading at 300mbps, this leaves 200mbps available to other devices.

There are only 9 active devices and most of them are for web browsing and youtube which probably takes 50mbps.

Yes, it will do just fine, although you probably need a repeater also if you have lot of rooms.

1 Router can handle 10x10m with 2 or 3 walls.

9 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yes, it will do just fine, although you probably need a repeater also if you have lot of rooms.

1 Router can handle 10x10m with 2 or 3 walls.

I plan on getting 2 of these wifi range extenders. Any router you would recommend?

Yes that will do. But those can only do wifi 5 (AC) not AX,  put them where the signal is dropping.

I suggest getting a router from the same brand, TP Link is good and cheap.

For the router get their AX lineup that suits your budget.

You can also get the cheaper wifi AC (wifi 5) router, which in that video can support up to 500mbps with a good signal.

2 hours ago, Void. said:

I plan on getting 2 of these wifi range extenders. Any router you would recommend?

Don't get range extenders, get proper access points.

Range extenders, while do work, have a major negative effect on bandwidth and latency because all traffic will have to go twice the wireless "path".

Access points however connect with cable to the router/switch and span the network where necessary.

With access points, you can also have proper support for WiFi roaming (smooth switching between APs, e.g. when moving around the building) and have better control of where signal reaches and where not. Range extenders must be placed in range of existing AP and if configured on the same channels, will cause interference.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

43 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Don't get range extenders, get proper access points.

Range extenders, while do work, have a major negative effect on bandwidth and latency because all traffic will have to go twice the wireless "path".

Access points however connect with cable to the router/switch and span the network where necessary.

With access points, you can also have proper support for WiFi roaming (smooth switching between APs, e.g. when moving around the building) and have better control of where signal reaches and where not. Range extenders must be placed in range of existing AP and if configured on the same channels, will cause interference.

Will do. Its even cheaper that those range extenders. Should i get this for a wifi 6 router? I plan on getting this TP-Link router with wifi 6.

14 hours ago, Void. said:

I might change it to 1gbps

Before you do that. Many routers have Gigabit ports, BUT that doesnt mean they support Gigabit internet. You need to check to see if they can do NAT at 1 Gbps, if not, you will see slower than Gigabit speeds. Some times they will have that info on their site, some times you can find at at Smallnetbuilder.com and other times you just have to go digging around the internet. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.