How do they solder the die to the substarte?

Chiyawa
Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,

They don't solder I think. I heard it's a bump

It's called a flip chip design, you can look it up further

I have learned the process of developing the silicon die, but one thing I found lacking is how they soldered the die into a substrate, like most modern CPU are. Does anyone know?

Regards,

Chiyawa

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

38 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I see. Thanks. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

8 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Wasn't the Heatspreader put on more to protect the Die then being a Heatspreader.

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

Wasn't the Heatspreader put on more to protect the Die then being a Heatspreader.

i would assume so

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

18 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i would assume so

I member reading about the Coppermine CPU Intel released in 1999 and that was the first flip chip and it was quickly discovered that DIYers could damaged a corner by not being careful when putting the HSF on.

13 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I member reading about the Coppermine CPU Intel released in 1999 and that was the first flip chip and it was quickly discovered that DIYers could damaged a corner by not being careful when putting the HSF on.

This applied to the Socket A AMD CPU's as well. They started adding little rubber pads around the die in order to protect the die, but it was still pretty easy to chip a corner.

Luckily, having messed around with tons of Socket 370 and Socket A stuff, I never did chip a die.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

3 minutes ago, Sarra said:

This applied to the Socket A AMD CPU's as well. They started adding little rubber pads around the die in order to protect the die, but it was still pretty easy to chip a corner.

Luckily, having messed around with tons of Socket 370 and Socket A stuff, I never did chip a die.

The very first computer Built I use a Duron.  Then I upgraded to a T-Bird Athlon. I was afraid I'll break the CPU and/or Motherboard due to how hard it was to get the HSF off and put the new one on.

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

The very first computer Built I use a Duron.  Then I upgraded to a T-Bird Athlon. I was afraid I'll break the CPU and/or Motherboard due to how hard it was to get the HSF off and put the new one on.

Yeah, those were the good old days. You used a freaking screwdriver to jam the HSF mounting clips to the socket... Too much pressure, and you could pop the CPU, or even the socket it self. 😄

3 hours ago, Sarra said:

The felt pads are to keep the cooling device level on the die when fastened down to help prevent Tipping and an uneven mount, which with socket A is important because 462 chips do not have a therm trip. 

Its not really to protect the silicon while I have some socket A chips that are missing corners and the cpu works fine otherwise.

The IHS plate is designed to be a heat spreader giving additional surface area to cool from.

AMD started soldering the processors around socket AM2, which a 6400+ is soldered, one of very few Athlons that are. Phenom and Phenom II FX and Ryzen are all soldered with a few exceptions in between such as the Ryzen Athlon 200 and 220ge. Even the lowest end Ryzen 1200 is actually soldered, I've delidded a vary large majority of all AMD processors I've ever purchased. Meaning my 2700X is lidless. So no the IHS plate really isn't mandatory. But it does help to have it soldered to transfer BTU quicker than using a pasted plate that is simply glued on.

Sounds like a video that Scotty from Strange Parts would've made.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

7 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The felt pads are to keep the cooling device level on the die when fastened down to help prevent Tipping and an uneven mount, which with socket A is important because 462 chips do not have a therm trip. 

Its not really to protect the silicon while I have some socket A chips that are missing corners and the cpu works fine otherwise.

The IHS plate is designed to be a heat spreader giving additional surface area to cool from.

AMD started soldering the processors around socket AM2, which a 6400+ is soldered, one of very few Athlons that are. Phenom and Phenom II FX and Ryzen are all soldered with a few exceptions in between such as the Ryzen Athlon 200 and 220ge. Even the lowest end Ryzen 1200 is actually soldered, I've delidded a vary large majority of all AMD processors I've ever purchased. Meaning my 2700X is lidless. So no the IHS plate really isn't mandatory. But it does help to have it soldered to transfer BTU quicker than using a pasted plate that is simply glued on.

I had an Opteron, socket 940, and an Athlon 64, which was 939... After that, I actually went with Intel. Core 2 Duo and then Core 2 Quad.

When my C2Q died, I bought an i5 4440, which is sitting on the desk in front of me. I replaced it with a Xeon E3 1280V3. Then, I got a Ryzen 9 3900XT, which will eventually go into a render rig, and a Ryzen 9 5900X or 5950X will replace the 3900XT. Then I'll be 'done' building computers for a few years... Until something dies, then I will get a new machine. Hoping the 3900XT and 5900X or 5950X last at least 5 years.

4 minutes ago, Sarra said:

I had an Opteron, socket 940, and an Athlon 64, which was 939... After that, I actually went with Intel. Core 2 Duo and then Core 2 Quad.

When my C2Q died, I bought an i5 4440, which is sitting on the desk in front of me. I replaced it with a Xeon E3 1280V3. Then, I got a Ryzen 9 3900XT, which will eventually go into a render rig, and a Ryzen 9 5900X or 5950X will replace the 3900XT. Then I'll be 'done' building computers for a few years... Until something dies, then I will get a new machine. Hoping the 3900XT and 5900X or 5950X last at least 5 years.

I have a 2700X and 8700K as the main house drivers. They won't get updated till DDR5. Before this many different platforms through the years. Have generally at least 2 or 3 PCs up and running at once. Not gonna lie, been through quite a bit of hardware. Some of it for gaming. Some of it just for benchmarking. 

The last Opteron board I had was an Asus K8N-DRE dual socket board. I traded it a couple/few years ago for some other hardware. Fun platform. Did some pin modding with that one. Have to mod both sockets though. But that was fun for sure.

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I have a 2700X and 8700K as the main house drivers. They won't get updated till DDR5. Before this many different platforms through the years. Have generally at least 2 or 3 PCs up and running at once. Not gonna lie, been through quite a bit of hardware. Some of it for gaming. Some of it just for benchmarking. 

The last Opteron board I had was an Asus K8N-DRE dual socket board. I traded it a couple/few years ago for some other hardware. Fun platform. Did some pin modding with that one. Have to mod both sockets though. But that was fun for sure.

I had an Asus dual socket board, but I never got it working. =\ Then, we had a mishap in the storage area, and everything got ruined, so I had to recycle it. >_> I think it was an A8N-SLI or something like that.

I also had an i5 2400 system, but it was a Dell Optiplex, and it died... Bad PSU. I just scrapped it. My old Xeon system will live on as a NAS/backup box, I'm going to put some WD Red Pro 6TB drives in it, and run a Raid 5. 5900X or 5950X machine will be for gaming and video rendering, and the 3900XT will be for ingest, transcode, and queue management. Or for rendering while I am also gaming. Hah.

15 minutes ago, Sarra said:

I had an Asus dual socket board, but I never got it working. =\ Then, we had a mishap in the storage area, and everything got ruined, so I had to recycle it. >_> I think it was an A8N-SLI or something like that.

I also had an i5 2400 system, but it was a Dell Optiplex, and it died... Bad PSU. I just scrapped it. My old Xeon system will live on as a NAS/backup box, I'm going to put some WD Red Pro 6TB drives in it, and run a Raid 5. 5900X or 5950X machine will be for gaming and video rendering, and the 3900XT will be for ingest, transcode, and queue management. Or for rendering while I am also gaming. Hah.

SLI was a good board too. Not many of those old 940 server boards overclocked. Too bad you never got it running though.

Lol. Dell was always known for PSU failures. Not much surprise I guess. I had a 2500K system. Wasn't OEM. I don't think I have ever openly out right purchased an OEM rig outside a thrift store of 10 bucks lol. When I was a kid, PCs in the house wasn't a thing. My brother a couple years older than me was the techy. I grew into it. 

5900X will last quite a while I think. Software is still trying to fully utilize 8 threads (If we focus on gaming) Pretty much handle anything you throw at it right on down the road. I try to build about every 3 years. I'm past due. But with everything the way everything is right now... just will keep holding out. 

The bench gets older legacy hardware usually. The avatar was at the end of December with 8700K 6ghz+. It's now being used as a daily driver... again. lol. I gamed with it, then OCed it, now back in a case. And this is the first time I've run my gaming rig in my case in several years too actually.