Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How long have your HDDs lasted?

So the internet tells me they should be in good condition from anywhere between 3 and 5 years. Thing is, I recently swapped out the HDD in my laptop with an SSD and now it has games and movies and pictures and other important academic stuff. It's been 4 years since I bought my laptop, and I don't have any other backing up device right now.

I have 16.7 gigs worth of photos which is my main concern. I have enclosed my HDD in a case, and use it like an ext HDD.

How long can I except it to last? I will eventually buy some form of storage to back stuff up though, just don't have any budget right now.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

I have a 2TB external that I've had for probably almost a decade.

Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I usualyl get about 5 years or so out of my hhds, but that is pretty intense usage.

I'm very generous with the likes I give out on here; you should be, too.

I never believed in orthopedic inserts, but then I got a pair.  Now, I stand corrected. 

My friend gave me his Epi-pen as he was dying.  It seemed very important to him that I have it.

Why do cows wear bells?

Because their horns don't work.

It depends. Laptop HDDs have never been good to me or anything for that matter. But that probably has more to do with people moving the laptop while the HDD is in operation more than anything else. If its just sitting still in an enclosure then it should be fine. It also depends if the enclosure gets hot or not. HDDs don't like heat. 

You can generally expect something like 4-5 years out of an HDD but I would plan to replace it at 3 years just in case. If you truly want backup against HDD failures then go for some sort of RAID setup or cloud backup.

I still have 540MB HDD and it works. How long have it been...? 30-ish years?

For the purpose of data storage you should assume that hdd will die at any moment without any warning. Because that's what usually happens and that's why so many data recovery companies exist and thrive. You either backup, or you become their client sooner or later.

At least use your ssd to store small amount of most important stuff as a backup...

It can depend really, I have a 2 decade old HDD that works and I had some that lasted only few years.

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

Honestly the lifespan of a hard drive just depends on too many things to be able to say for sure. I've got a few drives from the 80s (one is a 30MB drive from an IBM PS/1 and the other is a 10MB SCSI drive used with a Macintosh SE) that are still running fine, but they've been kept in decent condition by their previous owners. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

i got 2t westren digital hdd from 1996.what still works fine..it costed small treasures in 1996.

excact amount was 15,678 dollars.

2 hours ago, aqarwaen29 said:

i got 2t westren digital hdd from 1996.what still works fine..it costed small treasures in 1996.

excact amount was 15,678 dollars.

Holy cr*p, dude, this literally made my day. I wasn't even born then xD

My first ever Hitachi drive lasted for around 10 years and a few extra while losing sectors and overall speed but did not lose any data!

If you ever get too worried about your drive failing and you dont have any means of backing up, you can always check on your drive's SMART status from time to time with programs like HDTune or CrystalDiskInfo.

Also considering the amount of data you're concerned about, a USB flash drive is also an alternative if you want to spend less money.

2 hours ago, Murasaki said:

My first ever Hitachi drive lasted for around 10 years and a few extra while losing sectors and overall speed but did not lose any data!

If you ever get too worried about your drive failing and you dont have any means of backing up, you can always check on your drive's SMART status from time to time with programs like HDTune or CrystalDiskInfo.

Also considering the amount of data you're concerned about, a USB flash drive is also an alternative if you want to spend less money.

Thank you, I just backed up those files in my USB drive. I had it for booting linux and installing windows, but meh, who cares. xD

On 3/4/2021 at 12:12 PM, AnirbanG007 said:

So the internet tells me they should be in good condition from anywhere between 3 and 5 years. Thing is, I recently swapped out the HDD in my laptop with an SSD and now it has games and movies and pictures and other important academic stuff. It's been 4 years since I bought my laptop, and I don't have any other backing up device right now.

I have 16.7 gigs worth of photos which is my main concern. I have enclosed my HDD in a case, and use it like an ext HDD.

How long can I except it to last? I will eventually buy some form of storage to back stuff up though, just don't have any budget right now.

130952177_Screenshot2021-03-07093042.thumb.jpg.07b8f01785ad7b359f4079dedf96dba6.jpgI am at 26,500 hours and show no signs of trouble yet.