Ram slot not working yet shows up in BIOS

SolarX

To keep it short, I bought an Asus Prime H310m-k of a mate who had just upgraded and I knew the board worked fine. I built my pc and it wouldn’t boot, I removed one of the sticks and it started up no issues. I have 2 8GB 2666mhz hyper fury ram sticks that are brand new. I can put both sticks individually in DIMM B1 and it’ll start up but nothing will work in DIMM A1. Every time the pc won’t boot from A1, it’ll boot in safe mode from B1 the next time. My mate ran the same Ram sticks so I don’t understand why it won’t work now, the board has been looked after and went straight out of his case and into the original box and bag. Both dimm slots will show in bios and I’ve tried xmp enabled and disabled, I just can’t get slot A1 to work

PC specs:
mobo: Asus Prime H310m-k

cpu: I5 9400f

Ram: 2 x 8GB 2666mhz hyper fury x

Gpu: Gigabyte 1660 oc

psu: Cougar 650w 80+

Some motherboard like to have b populated before a.  I don’t know why it’s not common. Should work in either though. Populating a1 and b1 isnt how it should be done though.  It’s a1, a2 or b1, b2. If you populate b1&b2 and get both sticks registering, then perhaps popular BOTH A1 and A2 at the same time and see if all the memory shows. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

27 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Some motherboard like to have b populated before a.  I don’t know why it’s not common. Should work in either though. Populating a1 and b1 isnt how it should be done though.  It’s a1, a2 or b1, b2. If you populate b1&b2 and get both sticks registering, then perhaps popular BOTH A1 and A2 at the same time and see if all the memory shows. 

As much as I would like to try that, there are only two DIMM slots on the motherboard, being A1 and B1, there is no A2 or B2. Would a cmos reset fix anything by chance?

4 minutes ago, SolarX said:

As much as I would like to try that, there are only two DIMM slots on the motherboard, being A1 and B1, there is no A2 or B2. Would a cmos reset fix anything by chance?

Ah.  small motherboard.  Might.  Can’t hurt.  It’s easy. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

24 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Ah.  small motherboard.  Might.  Can’t hurt.  It’s easy. 

I tried reset, bios update and reseating the cpu, none of them worked. It did look like there was one or two slightly bent pins (they just looked the tiniest bit out of place) but the pc has work fine with no issues. Just the single slot not working

The problem is it sounds a lot like the slot which would be a bad board.  If it’s a broken slot it’s extremely difficult to fix.  Outside the scope of many people.