VR with a kind of low-end PC.

AlecByte
Go to solution Solved by bellabichon,

Your PC isn't going to 'blow up', it'll just be a bad experience. The effect of VR is only convincing when you have a smooth-ish framerate. On Radeon Integrated Graphics, all it'll do is make you want to throw up. 

VR on a bad PC?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. So I was thinking to buy an Oculus Quest 2 and playing it with my PC. I have a Ryzen 3 4000G with AMD Integrated Graphics. Is it a good idea? Or is it gonna be a framerate chaos?

• Yes, your PC is gonna blow up.
    • No, it's gonna be a great experience.

So I was thinking to buy an Oculus Quest 2 and playing it with my PC. I have a Ryzen 3 4000G with AMD Integrated Graphics. Is it a good idea? Or is it gonna be a framerate chaos?

1 minute ago, AlecByte said:

Is it a good idea? Or is it gonna be a framerate chaos?

3400G iGPU will not work well at all.

Quest 2 is standalone though, I'd recommend just using it like that.

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

2 minutes ago, AlecByte said:

So I was thinking to buy an Oculus Quest 2 and playing it with my PC. I have a Ryzen 3 4000G with AMD Integrated Graphics. Is it a good idea? Or is it gonna be a framerate chaos?

It’s not going to perform well. The Ryzen integrated graphics are about as powerful as a GT 1030 for reference.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

4 minutes ago, AlecByte said:

with just an igpu, it will make you throw up very quickly, if it works at all lol.

4 minutes ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

3400G iGPU will not work well at all.

Quest 2 is standalone though, I'd recommend just using it like that.

Probably gonna blow up.

I mean it's not gonna blow up but it's gonna be far from a pleasurable experience. you probably won't ever get more than 60fps and experience some nausea 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

14 minutes ago, AlecByte said:

Probably gonna blow up.

What?

Quest 2 is fine standalone just like Quest 1 was (I've used the OG Quest standalone).

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

1 minute ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

What?

Quest 2 is fine standalone just like Quest 1 was (I've used the OG Quest standalone).

Nah, I mean my PC is gonna blow up.

Your PC isn't going to 'blow up', it'll just be a bad experience. The effect of VR is only convincing when you have a smooth-ish framerate. On Radeon Integrated Graphics, all it'll do is make you want to throw up. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

2 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Got it.

With vr you cannot get away with  low framerates(30 fps for example),as this will cause an nauseating effect and a very bad experience.

Get an GPU first then consider vr.

I love Vega igpu's but its not meant for vr AT ALL.

The quest 2 offers a pretty decent standalone experience, you dont need to connect it to a pc. 

That said, pc games will obviously look better if you have the hardware to run them. 

15 hours ago, Cheburek said:

With vr you cannot get away with  low framerates(30 fps for example),as this will cause an nauseating effect and a very bad experience.

Get an GPU first then consider vr.

I love Vega igpu's but its not meant for vr AT ALL.

30FPS is alright, a graphics card is expensive though. What's your reccomendation? (cheapest and best)

Edit: I just did a stress test, and I only got 5FPS max..

The picturethat you see here is the result of my Graphics strees test. I only got 11FPS. (Without antialiasing and running at HD).

image.png.9dc27f446697ba023af4a50fba1c29f3.png

On 3/5/2021 at 3:43 AM, AlecByte said:

30FPS is alright, a graphics card is expensive though. What's your reccomendation? (cheapest and best)

Edit: I just did a stress test, and I only got 5FPS max..

The picturethat you see here is the result of my Graphics strees test. I only got 11FPS. (Without antialiasing and running at HD).

image.png.9dc27f446697ba023af4a50fba1c29f3.png

30 FPS is alright,but absolutely not in VR.

The lowspecgamer did a video on trying to run vr on VEGA and it worked!But just barely and he absolutely did not reccomend.

If the cheapest vr headset is  $300 then you could use that money to get a GPU.

For GPU i reccomend something in the rx 570-580 or gtx 1060-1070 range of performance since those GPU's are what i would say vr ready somewhat in the budget range.

I managed to find a rx 580 for $150 but i was extremely lucky,you could probably find one for at about 200-220.

On 3/3/2021 at 9:54 PM, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

What?

You can now get the quest 2 up to 90hz too on some apps in standalone.

Precision Tower 7810

2 CPU E5-2699 v3 (36 Cores) (Logical Procs: 72)  | GTX 1080 | 64GB DDR4 | 4 1TB NVMe M.2 Drives  | 1 LG widescreen 4K monitor , 4 HP 4K monitors | Razer Mouse, Chroma Pad, Nari Ultimate

So, the Quest 2 is here and I tried it with my computer. It sucks, I only got 14FPS max.