Do wifi carriers add a mbps limit in the router or is it in all routers?

untitledvoid

(DISCLAIMER: I know this is not pc network but I didnt find the topic for network support.) I am planning on buying the asus RT-AC86U and I am currently paying for the 500mbps package on my wifi carrier. Will it get limited or will it work at 500mbps+? If theres a better router that you think that would work better, please tell me.

s.jpg

1 minute ago, Void. said:

my wifi carrier

Your what? Wifi sucks, especially if you are in a RF crowded area like apartment complexes. In order for you get anywhere near 500mbps over wifi you might need to fine tune it. 

PS, there is no such thing as "wifi provider", there is internet service provider.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I'm sorry for the mistake as im not familiarized with this kind of stuff. I do not live in crowded areas. I normally get 450mbps and sometimes even 500mbps. I've been wondering, could i get a better router that'll get me better wifi? There was only one thing that made me not buy it yet. Do they add a wifi limit on the router or it simply doesn't allow me to surpass 500mbps. 

The plan you pay for will give you X Mbps to your wall. Unless that's more than you manage to get after your router there's no point changing. Check your contract.

Your local network speeds (between 2 of your devices) aren't affected, only your access to the internet.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Void. said:

I'm sorry for the mistake as im not familiarized with this kind of stuff. I do not live in crowded areas. I normally get 450mbps and sometimes even 500mbps. I've been wondering, could i get a better router that'll get me better wifi? There was only one thing that made me not buy it yet. Do they add a wifi limit on the router or it simply doesn't allow me to surpass 500mbps. 

Your ISP limits the connection betweem then and your modem. You can have as fast of wifi on you local network as you want.

From your ISP there isn't a pre-defined bandwidth limit on your Wi-Fi. The ISP pre-defines your WAN bandwidth based on the plan you're paying for. A device on your LAN (over Wi-Fi) will be able to communicate with other devices on your LAN at the speed of the highest supported 802.11 wireless standard on both devices. These are typically 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax.

You can (on a per client basis depending on the router) impose a bandwidth limit to each of your clients so nobody can hog all the available Wi-Fi bandwidth but the available bandwidth here isn't defined by your ISP. 

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Your ISP limits the connection betweem then and your modem. You can have as fast of wifi on you local network as you want.

So, for example, let's say I have a router that offers 500mbps (given by my ISP) and I pay for a package that's 500mbps. I bought the router mentioned above, will I get more than 500mbps (Just making sure)?

Just now, Void. said:

So, for example, let's say I have a router that offers 500mbps (given by my ISP) and I pay for a package that's 500mbps. I bought the router mentioned above, will I get more than 500mbps (Just making sure)?

Well your probably not getting over 500mbit on wifi on that router, as it depends on the client a lot, and that router doesn't have the best wifi on it. What clients are you using?

3 minutes ago, Void. said:

Again these have nothing to do with each other. You can get a router with 1500Mbps Wifi (if that existed for real...) and you'd get 1500Mbps between your own devices, but still 500Mbps to the internet. You will never get anything more to the internet than what you pay for.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well your probably not getting over 500mbit on wifi on that router, as it depends on the client a lot, and that router doesn't have the best wifi on it. What clients are you using?

I'm not sure if i'm answering correctly. I use a TP-Link T2U Plus with 450mbps on 5ghz. If what i'm asking works, i will upgrade it. If it doesn't then i'll keep my current setup.

4 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Again these have nothing to do with each other. You can get a router with 1500Mbps Wifi (if that existed for real...) and you'd get 1500Mbps between your own devices, but still 500Mbps to the internet. You will never get anything more to the internet than what you pay for.

Got it. Thank you for the help.

2 minutes ago, Void. said:

I'm not sure if i'm answering correctly. I use a TP-Link T2U Plus with 450mbps on 5ghz. If what i'm asking works, i will upgrade it. If it doesn't then i'll keep my current setup.

Yea that adapter isn't hitting 450mb/s. Expect about half of that as a real world max. Also get a pcie wifi nic for better speeds.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea that adapter isn't hitting 450mb/s. Expect about half of that as a real world max. Also get a pcie wifi nic for better speeds.

Will in the future. Currently have a laptop. If i get an ITX mb, can i still use a pcie entry for a wifi card?

Just now, Void. said:

Will in the future. Currently have a laptop. If i get an ITX mb, can i still use a pcie entry for a wifi card?

Id just get a itx board with wifi included. But for those speeds you really want wired.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id just get a itx board with wifi included. But for those speeds you really want wired.

I thought about getting ethernet but I'll go with a wifi card for now. I will search for some ITX boards with wifi included (maybe even with an antena). Thank you for the help.

I'd be looking for at least WiFi 6 for more reliable speeds on WiFi.

I've had problems sustaining over 400Mbit on WiFi 5 (802.11ac) sometimes but it seems much more stable on WiFi 6.

Picked up the HONOR Router 3 for dirt cheap, really wasn't expecting it to perform this well.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7