msi mag x570 tomahawk AMD Raid array gone after BIOS update

Hello,

I'm a noob with regards of disk management.

I went through and installed newest BIOS (7C84v15), chipset driver and other drivers form MSI website. Because I had problems with my system stability. Upon restarting my PC I noticed that one of my drives is gone.

I had 2 HDDs setup in RAID 1 array for storage and single NvMW SSD for windows. I’ve set them up it via BIOS with RAIDXpert2. Now when I go there under Array Management I can only see my boot NvME Drive (third illustration). The array is made from two 1TB Toshiba HDWD110. The drives are visible in Windows disk management tool as two separate drives with anonymus partition (Dysk 0 and Dysk 1 in picture below, they where seen as one disc before) and in BIOS system status.

Is there a way to recover the array?

My system: Windows 10 64b, AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, MSI mag x570 tomahawk Wi-Fi

Disks manager.JPG

System Status.jpg

Only SSD visible.jpg

IN the future, don't use amd raid, it sucks, just use software raid in your os, its much better.

Can you detect the array in the bios?

Do you have a backup of the data?

Id make a image of the drives first.

Can you detect the array in the bios?

No, when I scan for disks in RAIDXpert2 in only shows me NvME discs, but no SATA discs. I can only see what is in the last illustration.

Do you have a backup of the data?

It was the backup.

Id make a image of the drives first.

I learned today about tool called clonezilla. Will this suffice?

16 minutes ago, MisterJW said:

It was the backup.

Raid is not backup.

Or do you mean hdd-s had backups and you can easily just reformat them and make new backups?

16 minutes ago, MisterJW said:

I learned today about tool called clonezilla. Will this suffice?

For imaging stuff like this I'd use dd, but the live cd itself will be good, yes.

Also you should be able to assemble the array using dmraid in linux (again, clonezilla live cd will work) and copy the data, if it is what you want.

Also you'll probably need like 3-4TB of space for all the stuff to do everything safely, be aware of that...

Raid is not backup.

Or do you mean hdd-s had backups and you can easily just reformat them and make new backups?

Ufortunetly no. What was on them was "backup". I was in the middle of migrating from old pc. But I have so little time that it took me couple of months. I dont have a backoup of this backu so basically I los a lot of things. While the drves show in the drives manager they do not show in windows explorer.

For imaging stuff like this I'd use dd, but the live cd itself will be good, yes.

Also you should be able to assemble the array using dmraid in linux (again, clonezilla live cd will work) and copy the data, if it is what you want.

Well, I woud like to just reasebly te array. But I don'y know how. Someone told me to make a backup of those two volumes (first picture) with clonezilla and then try to reformat one of them. But as I am not good at this regards I wanted to get a second oppinion.

What is dd?

Can I use dmraid with wsl2 or I need to install linux?

1 minute ago, MisterJW said:

Well, I woud like to just reasebly te array. But I don'y know how. Someone told me to make a backup of those two volumes (first picture) with clonezilla and then try to reformat one of them. But as I am not good at this regards I wanted to get a second oppinion.

Well, at this point just assume that you'll have to create new array after you are done with data recovery. Software one preferably, do not use fakeraid, ever.

You need to create images of both disks, yes. Might use clonezilla, might use dd. I personally prefer dd because it is very straightforward and nothing really can go wrong. What will happen when you image broken stuff like this with clonezilla i am not sure. It might do something wrong.

Then if you want to read the data i'd just try "dmraid -ay" in clonezilla, then "lsblk" and see if it activated the array. It should in most cases. Then you just mount it and copy all the data.

While trying to do disk images the clonezilla I came across these errors: "Can't have a partition outside the disk!" and finally failed with message (translated) Your disk contains mismatched GPT and MBR partition /dev/sda.

dmraid sees no RAID disks.

linux.jpg

l3.jpg

l2.jpg

Well, this was kind of expected that clonezilla might not work on stuff like this. Do something like this:

"dd if=/dev/sda of=/mnt/image_1 bs=1M status=progress".

Will have to mount whatever storage you use into /mnt before doing that.

Also will need whole 1TB of space to do that, you do not have it judging by screenshots.

Also... what happens if you do "mount -o ro /dev/sda1 /mnt"?

• 1 month later...

Nothing really worked so I improvised (with my current knowledge) I formatted one of the drives and then used Recuva to recover most of the data.

• 3 months later...

I updated the bios on a MSI z390 Carbon AC last night with a Raid 1. The amd might work differently but I wanted to put down my intel experience as I was really apprehensive about my raid breaking.

It’s not documented at all but when you have a raid and the bios update resets all settings so it’s critical not to boot to Windows until you reconfigure the raid which I did in two bios reboots. The first you to turn on the raid again and boot back into BIOS so the correct raid menu will appear. At the second bios boot I saw the raid disk configuration restored.  

If you boot to Windows before this, Windows will break the raid configuration and I’m not sure you can put them back together via BIOS.  I was crossing my fingers at the second bios boot and was utterly relieved to see it there again. Sorry to hear you had  to go through so much hassle. It really makes one fear bios upgrades.