Moved everything into a new case, now PC wont boot into windows :(

luddegaga
Go to solution Solved by Pixelfie,

I know someone who needs to reseat their RAM everytime they do something to their pc. Even if it's just adding a case fan. Maybe you have the same? 
Also, are you trying to get video from the motherboard or from the GPU? Try both. If it does work on the motherboard there's something with the GPU. 

You can also try reseating the CMOS battery: Unplug power, remove the battery on the motherboard, press power, wait until every single led or fan is off. Then press the power button again, but hold it for 30 seconds. Then put in the battery and boot the PC. Your time may be wrong, but you can adjust that.

And is there any light on the motherboard? If so, what color is it? 

Hello! I am currently in the process of moving in with my girlfriend (hurray!), and had to buy a new case because the old one looked like an abomination. To her great joy, and my despair, my pc will no longer boot to windows. I have limited experience with building, so I have most likely f:ed up somewhere in the process, I would just like some help finding out where!

I have checked all external connectors, and also made sure my monitor is working. It boots, all fans turn on, nothing else. After thinking some of my own i realized that in the process of installing it in the case I accidentally snapped the small clip holding the GPU and motherboard together. I googled it, and tought nothing of it as most people simply screwed it tighter to the case and made sure it was in place. I have checked the GPU-motherboard connection multiple times but this does not seem to be the issue. The only other possible explanations (of those apparent to me) is that I connected my hard drive to the wrong SATA-connection, but this makes no sense to me as I have windows installed on an m2 SSD that has not been moved away from the motherboard. I also installed an extra fan, which made me think my PSU could not keep up, but disconnecting the fan made no difference.

I appreciate any and all answers!

I would be thankful for any tips on what to upgrade and if my build is any decent or a complete mistake!

General specs:

GPU: Palit Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB

CPU: Intel i5 6700K

Motherboard: Asus Prime B360-A

PSU: Corsair VS550

RAM: 1 stick of Hyperx Fury DDR4 8 GB and 1 stick of Ballistix DDR4 4GB

SSD: Some random Kingston 240 GB m.2 SSD lol

Does the motherboard display any errors? Does the screen show that there is some sort of output from the GPU?

3 minutes ago, Benito593 said:

Does the motherboard display any errors? Does the screen show that there is some sort of output from the GPU?

Screen does not display anything, but fans on the GPU are running so I assumed it is working lol, might be wrong tough. Connecting the HDMI to the motherboard does not change anything either 😞

That CPU has integrated graphics, so there should be some sort of display. Did you move the whole motherboard, or remove the cpu? The fans on the GPU will work, as long as it is plugged into the power supply, but the reason it may not display anything, is because it is not properly seated in the motherboard. I am not saying that is the reason, but it could be that.

3 minutes ago, Benito593 said:

That CPU has integrated graphics, so there should be some sort of display. Did you move the whole motherboard, or remove the cpu? The fans on the GPU will work, as long as it is plugged into the power supply, but the reason it may not display anything, is because it is not properly seated in the motherboard. I am not saying that is the reason, but it could be that.

I moved the whole motherboard with cooler and CPU still stuck together, but I will go ahead and check the cooler for any loose screws and such!

Also try checking if the GPU is pressed all the way into its slot! I see that you mentioned the latch snapping on it. If it isn't pressed all the way in, that could also explain it! Sorry, if I haven't been able to resolve your issue!

Just now, Benito593 said:

Also try checking if the GPU is pressed all the way into its slot! I see that you mentioned the latch snapping on it. If it isn't pressed all the way in, that could also explain it! Sorry, if I haven't been able to resolve your issue!

I appreciate all help I can get! Thank you for taking time out of your day to help me, I hope you have a great wednesday!

I know someone who needs to reseat their RAM everytime they do something to their pc. Even if it's just adding a case fan. Maybe you have the same? 
Also, are you trying to get video from the motherboard or from the GPU? Try both. If it does work on the motherboard there's something with the GPU. 

You can also try reseating the CMOS battery: Unplug power, remove the battery on the motherboard, press power, wait until every single led or fan is off. Then press the power button again, but hold it for 30 seconds. Then put in the battery and boot the PC. Your time may be wrong, but you can adjust that.

49 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

Found the issue, something is wrong with my monitors HDMI connection, seems to have broken. 

Either that or that RAM trick worked! thanks for the help!