Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Build for Engineering (CAD primarily) and Gaming, but $200(US) over budget

•  $2000(US)

•  United States of America

• Uses would be ranging from CAD, possible Revit, Cyber Punk 2077, Valheim

Parts are really scarce and prices are all kinds of jacked up, but was curious if anything in this list could be dropped or changed.  I'm currently "rocking" a Lenovo Idea Pad Flex15 with and Intel 8th Gen I7, and a Nvidia GeForce MX230...

My Fiancé and I are getting our degrees in Engineering, so it will be used heavily for that, but I also game when time is available, or forced into my schedule.  Lately have been grinding Valheim, but I usually stick to games like Witcher 3, Cyber Punk 2077, Skyrim, etc.  Not a flashy RGB guy, so my pc doesn't have them.  Or very little at the least.

List:

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800x (went with this because it had very good performance, especially compared to the Ryzen 9 3900x in my research)
  • Noctua NT-H1 3.5g, Pro-Grade Thermal Compound
  • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 1000W (tried finding Gold plus, however prices were unreliable)
  • Western Digital 1 TB WD_Black SN750 NVMe SSD with Heatsink
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wifi 6) AMD AM4 (need Wifi on motherboard, only one I could find in stock, trying to reduce cost on this)
  • Lian Li PC-011DX Dynamic (black) (Fiancé really liked this case, and I liked the space of it)
  • 3-6 Noctua NF-P12 redux 1200 PWM 140mm 
  • Noctua NH-D15 chromax .Black Dual tower 140mm (water cooling makes me anxious so on my list I went with safety, but I do not know if water cooling would be better for the case and the budget)
  • HyperX Fury Black 32 GB 3600MHz CL18 (not sure if true, but some research showed higher Hz was better for productivity)(and memory would be added on gradually)
  • Nvidia RTX 3080 (primarily for performance with productivity, but still allowing me to game with high capabilities, and once available again, it is a really good price)

Peripherals are taken care of already, and I am looking for 60fps with High graphic quality, as 200+ fps doesn't matter to me, but I am a visuals guy.  

However, I'm hitting $2280.41 as a high, and would really like to be much closer to the budget, and best of all, under.

I plan to start buying these parts around the summer time frame to early fall.  Primarily wanted to get an opinion from a channel I've been watching for over a year now and love learning about all of the ins and outs of the technologies in computers.

If some advice could be given, that would be so greatly appreciated.

Best regards

well that psu is overkill a corsair rm850x or rm750 is enough

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

The CPU cooler alreayd comes with thermal compound.

That PSU is overkill, you only need 750W for a PC like that.

Your forgot the price of windows.

Maybe look for a used Quadro P5/6000 or RTX5000 instead of the 3080.

Sealed AIO coolers are pretty much problem free these days, but that air cooler will perform about as well so if you don't mind the looks it will be good.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you need to cut cost you can take 3200MHz cl16 instead of 3600Mhz ram cl18.  3200 cl16 memory is a sweet spot for Ryzen cpus. And also you can switch the motherboard to b550 steel legends

Good news: I cut your total pricing by about 500 USD.

3700X vs 5800X is no difference. $130 USD more for like .2 GHz core clock increase and .3 boost clock increase (not worth IMO)

I have no experience with Noctua coolers, but I've seen people recommend that one along with giving another option like the Hyper 212. So you can pick either one.

Added better thermal paste ($2 USD more but you have the budget for it 😅)

Kept the board, seemed like the best motherboard for your games/workloads.

Added faster RAM, btw 3200MHz CL16 is the same as 3600 CL18 so I put in 3600 CL16 🙂

Added cheaper but better storage.

Switched the casing to a popular well-known case known for its good airflow, clean aesthetics, etc.

Downgraded wattage since 1000W is too much (like what the others said)

Edit: Yes also add windows, and up to you if you want to use either the stock thermal paste or the one I put.

→  Kindly quote or mention me if you would like a reply back.

<famous quote>

10 minutes ago, Jayzer said:

3700X

I have no experience with Noctua coolers, but I've seen people recommend that one along with giving another option like the Hyper 212. So you can pick either one.

the 3700x comes with wraith prism

making the hyper 212 unnecessary, since they perform about the same

Added faster RAM, btw 3200MHz CL16 is the same as 3600 CL18 so I put in 3600 CL16 🙂

i would go with 3200CL16 out of the two

higher chance of working if he decides to go for 4x16gb, as not many zen 2 chips i know can do dual rank at 3600, most of them can handle 1R at 3600 but 2R at around 3200 or so from my understanding

3700X vs 5800X is no difference. $130 USD more for like .2 GHz core clock increase and .3 boost clock increase (not worth IMO)

hmm...

My PCs: Desky | Beddie | Miney | Benchie

Things I need help with: (nothing at the moment)

Spoiler

none atm

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer: shit tier quality products, shit tier customer service thus far, they "tried" to solve my issue but they arent really doing anything but delaying and delaying. (on-going case since July)

Gigabyte: horrible customer service (gigabyte had literally 0 customer service, asked me to go to retailer with NO WAY to email them about a question) but at least they fixed my shit in ONE MONTH (would probably take me 1 hour to fix if they let me email them)

XiaoMi Phones: built like a tank but the software is buggy as all hell

Seagate HDD: had too many dead seagate drives

Kingston SSD: 300V controller swap thingy

Razer (except their mouse)

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

Need to be replaced:

- 5600x for the CPU, this will shave $200, or 3700x, you can upgrade when the price are back down to earth.

- Cooling solution, watercooling is not required

- Case fans, get another cheaper, noctuas are expensive.

- PSU, go down to a 750w gold

Add:

- 4TB HDD for storing files (1TB is not big enough)

Ryzen 2600x @ 4.2ghz all cores | Asrock B450M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 4x Samsung 8gb d-die 2133 @ 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Hyper 212 classic w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Separate Wi-Fi cards are still very much a thing so you don't need on-board Wi-Fi. You could probably save a substantial amount by using a cheaper motherboard and a PCIE Wi-Fi card

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

8 hours ago, Jayzer said:
3700X vs 5800X is no difference. 

Added cheaper but better storage.

No difference between the 3700X and 5800X ? Sorry but that is just wrong. Whether it is worth the extra money is up to the op to decide.

Also you didn't add better storage. The SN750 in the op's spec is better than the SN550. The SN550 is fine for a gaming pc, but I wouldn't use one in a workstation build.

Winter is Coming.

Wow, that was a lot of help, I got the price down to $2074 with a 2tb hard rive and Windows 10 os included!  Thank you everyone