Continue to Upgrade 2011-v3 Socket or Upgrade to Zen 3

YaBoiHuni

Budget (including currency): 
$1000 (will adjust if I really need to get the best bang for my buck)

U.S.A.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 
Gaming, VR, Minor Adobe CC Suite Programs

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

In my signature I have my current build. I am continuing to look for a MSRP 6800xt and already understand my current  i7-5820k will bottleneck it in addition to probably my RAM. My main goal is to play most games on my main Ultrawide 1440p 144hz monitor. Whether I get full 144hz is not a concern but I'm hoping to play on high to ultra settings for games whilst maintaining a high refresh rate. I was thinking of trying to find a good steal on 5960x or even a 6950x since they are still compatible with my current socket, but am not sure if its even worth that investment.

I am shooting for another 5 or so years with these upgrades since my current build has lasted since 2016 or so. I have done some research on Zen3 and have sort of set my eyes on a Ryzen 9 5900x since its the best bang for your buck when comparing to the Ryzen 7 5800x. However I just wanted to get a honest opinion on whether my current socket is even worth upgrade to a high core count CPU. 

Let me know if you need anymore info.

Thank you!

10 minutes ago, YaBoiHuni said:

Budget (including currency): 
$1000 (will adjust if I really need to get the best bang for my buck)

U.S.A.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 
Gaming, VR, Minor Adobe CC Suite Programs

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

In my signature I have my current build. I am continuing to look for a MSRP 6800xt and already understand my current  i7-5820k will bottleneck it in addition to probably my RAM. My main goal is to play most games on my main Ultrawide 1440p 144hz monitor. Whether I get full 144hz is not a concern but I'm hoping to play on high to ultra settings for games whilst maintaining a high refresh rate. I was thinking of trying to find a good steal on 5960x or even a 6950x since they are still compatible with my current socket, but am not sure if its even worth that investment.

I am shooting for another 5 or so years with these upgrades since my current build has lasted since 2016 or so. I have done some research on Zen3 and have sort of set my eyes on a Ryzen 9 5900x since its the best bang for your buck when comparing to the Ryzen 7 5800x. However I just wanted to get a honest opinion on whether my current socket is even worth upgrade to a high core count CPU. 

Let me know if you need anymore info.

Thank you!

Your CPU shouldn't bottleneck too badly, I don't think it's necessary to rush an upgrade until you test it out yourself after you've bought the graphics card and determine if you do need a CPU upgrade, and you can easily check bottlenecks by looking at GPU usage

Otherwise it depends on how much you can find a 5960X or a 6950X on the used market, if the price covers an entire upgrade to Zen 3 then it's probably not worth it to go with an old generation especially for power efficiency, the Ryzen 5900X would be much more power efficient and much faster overall, you'd want to compare the 5960X more with the Ryzen 5600X though as that would be more inline with its performance tier.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

8 minutes ago, .Apex. said:

Your CPU shouldn't bottleneck too badly, I don't think it's necessary to rush an upgrade until you test it out yourself after you've bought the graphics card and determine if you do need a CPU upgrade, and you can easily check bottlenecks by looking at GPU usage

Otherwise it depends on how much you can find a 5960X or a 6950X on the used market, if the price covers an entire upgrade to Zen 3 then it's probably not worth it to go with an old generation especially for power efficiency, the Ryzen 5900X would be much more power efficient and much faster overall, you'd want to compare the 5960X more with the Ryzen 5600X though as that would be more inline with its performance tier.

An upgrade to a 5600X would cost around 530$ assuming you can find all the parts

5600X - 300$

X570 Board - 150$

16GB 3200Mhz RAM - 80$

and looking at eBay a 5960X would cost 146$, so I think it might be worth it to stick to your current socket, though you'd have to overclock it as well as the single-core performance is not that great which would affect you achieving higher frame rates, and the power consumption is awful, but if you're okay with that then it's an alright upgrade.

I'd still suggest to buy the graphics card first and test it with your current setup.

7 minutes ago, .Apex. said:

Thank you for the quick reply. I shall do a little more comparison specifically against the 5960x and 5600x. As for the GPU , I just gotta patient and get one once they come back in stock. But I think this a is great start once I get my GPU is if my CPU then bottlenecks the 8600xt.

2 minutes ago, .Apex. said:

An upgrade to a 5600X would cost around 530$ assuming you can find all the parts

5600X - 300$

X570 Board - 150$

16GB 3200Mhz RAM - 80$

and looking at eBay a 5960X would cost 146$, so I think it might be worth it to stick to your current socket, though you'd have to overclock it as well as the single-core performance is not that great which would affect you achieving higher frame rates, and the power consumption is awful, but if you're okay with that then it's an alright upgrade.

I'd still suggest to buy the graphics card first and test it with your current setup.

Gotcha, thanks for that breakdown!

2 minutes ago, YaBoiHuni said:

Thank you for the quick reply. I shall do a little more comparison specifically against the 5960x and 5600x. As for the GPU , I just gotta patient and get one once they come back in stock. But I think this a is great start once I get my GPU is if my CPU then bottlenecks the 8600xt.

I've looked over a few benchmarks on the 5960X and it seems to be more similar to a Ryzen 3600X which is much slower than a Ryzen 5600X, though at 150$ for the 5960X it's still tough to beat the price, it's up to you to determine if you're okay with the power efficiency fiasco